March 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Mar 1, 2018.

?

What's Your March Madness?

1. Shavette Dojo with the Samurai Man

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Rule baby!

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. Learning a new razor

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. Soap Mania

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  5. Brushes

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  6. A Focus of some kind

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  7. Cookie Madness!

16 vote(s)
    47.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

By the way, just for the record, the only stupid questions here in the 30DC are the ones you don’t ask. If you are wondering about it, ask.

NCoxSTL, mrchick, 9nein9 and 14 others like this.
  2. jason koonce

jason koonce Well-Known Member

Lol just a lil bit nothing serious lol

NCoxSTL, mrchick, 9nein9 and 13 others like this.
  3. jason koonce

jason koonce Well-Known Member

6E183433-7295-47F2-95AF-B3CB250117BC.jpeg 6A844E2C-C3AD-4833-BED6-808616F17B97.jpeg So I found the infamous brush in the move stuff today thought I would share it lol.

NCoxSTL, mrchick, 9nein9 and 13 others like this.
  4. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

A5758F1E-E5C3-4614-9F90-9BD1A0F2730D.jpeg

March 1 SOTD:

Razor: Classic Samurai
    Blade: Derby Premium
    Brush: Stirling Kong
    Lather: TSD Pumpkin Spice
    Aftershave: Clubman Reserve Whiskey Woods
    Additional Care:
    Stirling Unscented PSB

I am in for the month, and I will certainly use some shavettes, but will probably also work in a few other razors. This was a one pass CCS for me this morning. I dug through my soaps and found this one I had forgotten I even had. It is a nice scent, although not my favorite, so I will set it up to used up next. I hope everyone has a great day!

NCoxSTL, mrchick, 9nein9 and 16 others like this.
  5. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

And I had such high hopes that a blade made in Russia for an oriental market would unite the 2 blade factions. I feel bad for recommending them now. Anyone who bought them at my suggestion can send them to me and I will use them as a penance for my indiscretion.

NCoxSTL, mrchick, 9nein9 and 12 others like this.
  6. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

I'm assuming your are correcting a styptic pen (which I own but never use) with Alum (which I don't own and have never used). Care to give me a cliff's notes version on what it is, why it's used, how it's used? I'm going out on a limb and guessing I should pick one up, after all, you did use 3 exclamation marks.

7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to the 30DC. Looks like you have a great lineup of hardware and software for the rule. Don't hesitate to ask questions.

8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

March 1, 2018
    Rocnel SE-G
    Gem PTFE
    Elite Ironwood “Tres Amigos” with Envy White
    AOS Peppermint Shaving Cream

[​IMG]

I will start March off continuing to my efforts to dial in the Rocnel SE-G. Otherwise I will just carry one with rotating through razors, brushes and soaps as the mood strikes me. I am really enjoying the AOS Peppermint cream with its great cooling sensation. Three passes and touch ups ended in a near perfect shave. I can tell the blade is getting a little tired after 6 uses but is still getting the job done. A splash of Fine Lavender and I am ready for the day. I hope everyone has a great Thursday.

9. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SOTD March 1, 2018

Prep: Cold water and Stirling mentholated pre-shave soap
    Blade: GEM PTFE
    Razor: GEM Pushbutton
    Brush: Artisan badger
    Lather: Jeeves of Hudson Street Turkish Bath
    WTG, touch up

I am in for March! I plan to work on soaps and continue to finish some things off.

Another Turkish Bath shave. There are probably one or two more shaves from this tub. It's been a great soap. There was only a small amount left that I redistributed to the middle. It will get 16 or 17 shaves from it. It's amazing how long soap can last! Nice shave overall.

Have a great day!

SOTD 3-1-18.JPG

10. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

March 1, 2018

OneBlade Genesis v1
    GEM PTFE
    Paladin PK-47
    Savonniere Du Moulin
    Fine Italian Citrus
    ADP Colonia Essenza

[​IMG]

I'm in for March with my initial focus on Shave Sticks.​

11. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Luxor-1 Me-0
    I started my shave on the side of my face and very quickly found my angle then went to the other side still all good. Started shaving my neck and definitely had to look up and sideways while pulling a little to keep my line still not too bad. Then I got to the chin and it fell apart. I've never been so aware of how many curves the chin area has. This is the area for improvement to be sure I cut my chin quite nicely just under the lip. I'm also going to need to work on pressure because the alum block lit my face up.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

12. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Wolfman WR1 Bronze OC80
    GEN
    Stirling Stuff

1st shave with this razor on 3 days growth. Very nice razor here. It's very smooth and the OC is quite comfy.

I'll spend March working with this OC and maybe throw in a Sailor shave to keep it fresh. I'll try to find the bottom of the Dunshire tub. It's a very nice scent. Easily doable for a month.[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

13. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

March 1st
    Gillette NEW SC w Nacet (1)
    TGN Finest/ Maple
    Fine L’Orange Noir SS
    Alum
    CL Bon Vivant AS
    01EFC2C4-1470-4831-83EC-504DE8E6FDE8.jpeg
    First day with the new to me NEW. Went with a Nacet to start off and face-lathered the nice smelling L’Orange Noir. Went with the traditional 3 passes and had a nice shave which has left me feeling pretty smooth. Rubbed on the Alum afterwards and didn’t much feedback. I didn’t enjoy the tight face-feel of the Alum the first month I used it a year ago and am giving it another go this month. The tightness didn’t seem so noticeable this time after one use. Finishing with CL is always a good thing.
    Have a great day all!

14. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Welcome aboard! I would use a blade that is comfortable for you for this month, and work on riding the cap to get the angles down. (There is a thread in this section that really goes into what that is.) The Red, White, and Blue Rapira Sweedish Supersteel is my favorite blade. Honestly, its just as sharp as the other blades you mention, but has different coatings. Once you get your technique down, you should be able to tame any blade, but you still might have favorites.

15. Norcalnewb

Beautiful picture, Clint!
    Terrific looking shave, Perry!
    Beautiful brush, Mark!

NCoxSTL, 9nein9, sdguero and 5 others like this.
  16. Norcalnewb

Great picture, James!
    Sounds like a great first use of the SC, Jason!

NCoxSTL, 9nein9, sdguero and 7 others like this.
  17. Norcalnewb

Welcome to the thread! I would echo the other comments in sticking with the blade you are comfortable with.

NCoxSTL, 9nein9, sdguero and 9 others like this.
  18. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I'm going to do something this month for the 30DC that I haven't done since January 2015. A rule. Not a focus. I will be joining the Shavette crew this month. My wife was kind enough to remind me that one attempt with a half DE style Shavette resulted in a pretty nice scar on my jawline. Goal of this month is to tame the Lepoard and Shark combo. I will also be using one soap and splash, trying to get near the bottom of this tub. I shave every other day, so my first go will be tomorrow morning.
    630E0317-E700-4EC4-9602-37F7B816A653.jpeg

19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great photo and great start to the month Jim.

Wonderful photo Perry. The soaps always seem to hang on at the very end. At least they hang around longer than I thought they would.

Gorgeous brush Mark.

Great start to the month.

Beautiful razor. Congrats.

Great photo Jason. I know many use Alum regularly but I can't stand the stuff and use it only for nicks and such.

9nein9, sdguero, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim.

9nein9, sdguero, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.