March 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Mar 1, 2018.

?

What's Your March Madness?

1. Shavette Dojo with the Samurai Man

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Rule baby!

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. Learning a new razor

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. Soap Mania

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  5. Brushes

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  6. A Focus of some kind

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  7. Cookie Madness!

16 vote(s)
    47.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

WH and Alum are almost never used together by vets. If you got no reaction, just test occasionally. Rinse...

You're simply not a newbie.

NCoxSTL, mrchick, 9nein9 and 7 others like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Tight feeling abates with regular use. Forgot to add.

9nein9, sdguero, RyX and 5 others like this.
  3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Jason. Does this make us hoarders?

9nein9, sdguero, Drygulch and 3 others like this.
  4. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Good question. I have four GEM razors. In order they are G-Bar, Pushbutton, Featherweight, and 1912. They all provide good shaves, but the 1912 really isn't my favorite. In fact it's been shelved for the moment and isn't in my rotation. The G-Bar far outweighs the Pushbutton and Featherweight.

5. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

All hypothetical, my friend! The only way I’m going to a deserted island is if there is high-speed internet, air conditioning, and Amazon Prime delivery. :D

NCoxSTL, mrchick, 9nein9 and 10 others like this.
  6. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Collectors? Preservers of Vintage Products? Connoiseurs?
    Hoarders is probably accurate. Hence the NB '18.;)

NCoxSTL, mrchick, 9nein9 and 11 others like this.
  7. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

EVIDENCE!
    BOY YOU IN A HEAP OH TRUBBLE NOW!
    GUILTY AS CHARGED!

:char039:

Have fun this month!
    :eatdrink047:

NCoxSTL, mrchick, 9nein9 and 11 others like this.
  8. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

How'd I get 5 pages behind on the first day? You guys are more chatty than my wife and her book club friends, and they even have wine to get the conversation going. Anyway, I'm in. Not sure if I'm gonna go shavette or not. This month I'm hoping to finish up my soap reviews including the last of the 4 pass around boxes I'm waiting to receive. Between reviews, I'll also try to spend some time with my straight before taking the plunge with the shavette. Of course we know how this all ends; someone will double dog dare me (or offer some equally persuasive type of enticement that's impossible to ignore), I'll try the shavette (despite my better judgement), and my wife will have one more reason to roll her eyes at me and say something like "How can such a smart man do such stupid things?". Fortunately, this type of comment leaves me open to take what she most likely means as an insult as a high compliment and point of personal pride.

In other news, I noticed that the cookie vote finished WAY down the list last month. Despite the fact that I'm sure this comment alone will provoke the Cartel to stuff the ballot box for March, I'm taking last month's vote as a VICTORY and claiming it as the direct outcome of the Great Cookie Revolution. Unlike Charlie (@wristwatchb), I don't have all this spare time to photoshop myself into this shot, so just imagine that I'm in the spot where the guy (who looks like he is named Lars) is holding up the cookie. In fact; I'm really doing you a favor here, as Lars definitely looks a lot better in skin tight biker clothes than I would. Having said that, though, I am much better shaven and have a spiffier haircut than Lars.
    download.jpg

NCoxSTL, mrchick, 9nein9 and 12 others like this.
  9. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I'm going to disagree with you Chris. My post shave is a cold water rinse and Alum bar. (Then I wash the bowl and brush.) Dry my face, splash on some Thayer's Witch Hazel. (Clean my razor, strop if needed, dry soap and bowl and put away.) Dry my face, then splash on my aftershave. (Then clean up the rest of the stuff from the shave.) I've been using this combo over three years now. The alum does seem to tighten up my face right after the shave, but the WH and aftershave seem to rinse most off, and I like the overall feeling. I have taken pieces out for a few shaves, and I think the post shave feel of including both WH and Alum is really helpful, especially if someone is dumb enough to use an aftershave that has high alcohol and stupid menthol levels.

NCoxSTL, mrchick, jtspartan and 12 others like this.
  10. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I am very fortunate to have gotten the Wolfman.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Linuxguile, Drygulch, NCoxSTL and 7 others like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

So, you're the "almost never"? ;) It sounds like you've got your routine figured out, and a good take on the subject.

12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

We have 30 days to go until the votes are all in, but on this first day, it appears we could have a close one between Some Kinda Focus and Cookies.

Linuxguile, Drygulch, NCoxSTL and 8 others like this.
  13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Returned home yesterday and on my way to work now. It is Friday morning here.

Had a great time in Macau, nice and relaxed now. The vibe is so different from Vegas but the travel time is 3 1/2 hours versus 14 hours, not to mention the difference in the price of the plane ticket. Now I’m back I will posting my shaves again.

14. Bama Samurai

Good morning and welcome back!

Linuxguile, Drygulch, NCoxSTL and 7 others like this.
  15. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Hello! Welcome to the 30DC! You’re in the right place to hone your technique. There are a lot of helpful folks here that’ll answer any questions you have and give you solid advice. And, they’ll make you want to buy more stuff. :)

16. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Day One under Sensei @Bama Samurai:
    20180301_183341_HDR_Film1~21.jpg
    Started out a bit rough, as I sliced my thumb a bit loading the blade. Just slightly worse than a paper cut, but enough to make me pay closer attention! First pass, WTG, was fairly uneventful, other than a weeper on my lower left neck. Second pass I chose to do my customary ATG, and things went well until I hesitated at one spot on my chin. I now have a small spot that just doesn't want to stop bleeding... Oh, well, at least it doesn't hurt. Alum proved I didn't do quite as well as I thought, but nothing too bad. I will say that a shavette is much, much less forgiving of angle than a straight! I'll be back tomorrow to see if I learned anything, or if the shavette has more to teach me!

MR41, Linuxguile, Drygulch and 16 others like this.
  17. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

SOTD 3.1.2018
    Head & Face Shaves (5 days growth)
    Pre-shave: hot shower
    Brush: Barburys synthetic
    Cream: TOBS Sandalwood
    Razor (face only): CJB Pain Stick
    Blade: Feather Professional (1)
    Razor (head only): Schick G1
    Blade: Schick (2)
    Post-shave: Dickinson's Original WH, Nivea Men Sensitive PS Balm, Pinaud Clubman AS

I'll spent the month of March working on taming the CJB razor. My first use today went well.... I nearly finished an extraordinary face shave without drawing any blood. But I ended with a nick on my neck which took a couple of applications of the styptic pencil before the bleeding stopped. The reason this occurred is because I failed to stretch the skin at that moment. Otherwise, I took my time, concentrated on stretching skin, and the angle of the blade. The blade sliced through 5 days of whisker growth as if it were nothing. In spite of the aforementioned bleeder, I'm calling this face shave a success.... hence I'm using Triumph's 1979 record album "Just a Game" as the background in the photo.
    sotd 3.1.2018.jpg

wchnu, MR41, Linuxguile and 17 others like this.
  18. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

My best wishes to those undertaking the shavette focus. Based on the usual quality of the reports here, I'm sure to have a sound basis to start, if I ever decide to try.

You can count on me for the 4L's Lurk, Listen, Learn, Like.

My 30 day ended a little while back in Feb. Thanks to the sound foundation my shaves continue to improve. I got an injector to play with a little bit ago (for Saturday shaves).

I got some Stirling soaps because of the following. At the same time I got an inexpensive synthetic brush. I couldn't wait to test lather one of my soaps and was amazed at the difference. Turns out the brush brings a big change for all the soaps and creme I have. And I thought I had to have that Simpson Super.

Found out I like blades. Yep, all of them (so far), when new. I am beginning to use blades longer than before without fear. I've been using a Parker variant and find a little adjustment makes a bad feel, better. I have also found that increasing the setting with subsequent passes seems to give better end results. I turn it down again for clean up passes. I have been able do a few against the grain work where required without discomfort now.

I dropped alum from my routine but always have it there to make my fingers grippy for skin stretching. I finally got the skin stretching part in my head right here. It was a great part for me.

If you're new or lurking in the shadows like I was, give it a try, it helped me greatly.

I think TSD can easily become the online envy with this month's 30 day thread. Congratulations Gentlemen!

wchnu, MR41, Linuxguile and 17 others like this.
  19. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I'm with Adam here. I use alum in much the same way -- rub it on after my rinse, leave it while doing cleanup, then rinse it off. And I use it almost every shave. For my first year here, I always then applied Thayers WH as it was my only postshave product. Other than Nivea Sensitive Balm, that is, which I would then use after on days when my skin was really dry and chapped or razorburned. I don’t always use Thayers WH now, because I have more splashes and balms to choose from and most of the better ones contain WH anyway. But if I'm using a straight alcohol splash like Clubman VIBR, the Thayers WH still goes on first.

20. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

This month my madness will be trying to finish off three soap/creams that are near death, L'Occitane Cade cream, Castle Forbes cream and Tabac.

March 1 I finished the Cade @Drygulch . I was in Macau and my razor of choice for the trip was a Feather DX in honour of the all the brave 30DC learning shavettes. Maybe I was not focused enough but I did not get my best shaves, getting a few nicks and some irritation. I think I am spoiled by the kinder edgers on my traditional straights. Or maybe it was because I was travelling, either way, I will give the DX another go this month.

Irritation B+ Closeness A-

Razor: Feather DX
    Brush: L’Occitane synthetic
    Soap: L’Occitane Cade cream
    AS: Enhanced Alcolado Glacial

IMG_4597.jpg

March 2nd shave featured a fresh of Shapton glass 16k refresh my Riga Razor. The edge was smooth and sharp and I received a much appreciated epic shave.

Irritation A+ Closeness A- Smoothness A Sharpness A

Razor: Riga Razor 7/8 half hollow
    Strop: SRD
    Brush: Elite Razor Manchurian
    Pre: Nivea
    Soap: Castle Forbes
    AS: Enhanced Alt Insbruck AS, Speick ASB
    Scent: Dior Cuir Cannage

IMG_4534.jpg

MR41, Linuxguile, Drygulch and 13 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.