Any motorcycle riders?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by pvtbanks, May 12, 2016.

1. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Congrats on quitting - and good luck for your first ride :happy088: Here in Germany it's around 15 F at the moment - still a bit too chilly for my taste

2. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Thanks Marverel, I hope the weather over there warms up enough for you to get a ride in too. Have a great day!

3. Morman Bridge

Hi everybody, well, I did it! I was actually able to ride my Honda Phantom today! I only rode it around my small community here, three laps and I was played out. But I discovered I can still ride. I can work on my stamina issues, but I can still balance it, hold it up at a stop, shift correctly, and stay calm throughout it all. When I get too excited or upset I can't breathe too good, so calm is the rule of thumb for me. Hopefully, I will still be able to make my short rides to the park again this year. Dig It!!!!
    Peace.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keithmax, clint64 and Puma like this.
  4. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

Went to the Indian dealership today. Being broke is not fun. I guess I'll be keeping this one for a while. LR.jpg

Keithmax and clint64 like this.
  5. CliffDweller

CliffDweller Well-Known Member

Nice man, congrats! Any day out on a bike is a great day to be alive!

It's been a little chilly here in NorCal for the last week or so, but it'll get up a little over 50 today & I'm heading out!

clint64 likes this.
  6. Morman Bridge

Thanks CliffDwller! I hope you have a great ride as well!

CliffDweller and clint64 like this.
  7. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm in!

Mine is basically the bike there was no way I could afford back when I was an 18 year old...

[​IMG]

So when the reborn Triumph company brought out a New Bonneville in 2001 I just had to order one.

Riding it (almost) makes me feel like I'm 18 again!

8. Morman Bridge

Hi, miracles do happen.

[​IMG]

Keithmax, clint64 and markjnewcomb like this.
  9. Morman Bridge

Hello, down at the river again. This beautiful park is only five minutes away from my house. It makes for a short run, but I physically can’t stand up to a long run anyway. The park is known as NP Dodge park, and it is one of the places the Lewis And C[​IMG]lark expedition crossed the Missouri River. It is a pleasant place during the day.

Keithmax likes this.
  10. AlDm

AlDm Well-Known Member

Fantastic! It looks like a shot from the movie! That's great! Tell me please what this model of a motorcycle (unreal beautiful).

Фантастика! Это выглядит как кадр из фильма! Это супер! Скажите пожалуйста какая эта модель мотоцикла ( нереально красивый).

clint64 likes this.
  11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Thanks! This is a Can Am “Spyder” touring model. Very smooth and comfortable ride.

Morman Bridge and clint64 like this.
  12. Morman Bridge

Hey folks, as a lot of you all know, my health isn’t the best. So to prepare for the eventuality that I won’t be able to ride my motorcycle anymore, I made a decision to purchase a bike that is considered a novelty most of the time, but in my situation, will be perfect. I have looked at these bikes now for four or five years. I watched them from their introduction. I never thought there would be a local dealer carrying them. Yesterday I saw an add in the local Facebook marketplaces. It was for a unit that was a demo. I had never heard of the dealership before. But they are local. At any rate I managed to score an Ice Bear trike at a very low cos. It is two years old and has a whopping 52 miles on it.

[​IMG]

$1400 later I have this stashed in my buddies garage. (I haven’t figured out how to tell the mrs. yet. She probably won’t be too upset. ) I’ll bring it home in a couple of days.

Keithmax likes this.
  13. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Pretty cool! How many cc’s?

14. Morman Bridge

Hi, it’s only a 150cc displacement. It is actually an old Honda patent that has been redesigned. It’s on a scooter style platform. Auto transmission.

15. Morman Bridge

It also has a floating differential, with a chain driven final drive.

16. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

150cc will at least move you with traffic. I initially thought that it may have been a true scooter (50cc). For $1400 you made a heck of a deal!

17. Morman Bridge

Thanks Spyder, I thought I made a good deal also. After having ridden it only briefly yesterday, I think it will be a lot of fun, but I’ll still have to be careful when I’m on it. It has been more than 25 years since I rode any kind of trike. It has a fairly short wheelbase, so it can be easily upset.

18. Morman Bridge

Hi folks, so, I checked the trike over real well, and it seems pretty well built. When I got it, the dealership advised me to change the oil after 50 miles or so. Funny thing is, the odometer is in kilometers. The guy also tells me - “Yep, ya gotta change out that break in oil.” . Now, this isn’t my first rodeo, and I know there is no such thing as a Break In oil. They had to have put regular air cooled motorcycle oil in it once it was uncrated since they wanted to use it for a demo, but there is no such thing as “Break In Oil”. But I doubt they put much oil in it, if any. I examined the oil when I drained it. It was over full for one thing, and the oil was more brown colored than anything else. So I gave it the sniff test and I smelled mineral spirits, and Ethanol. A quick flick of a bic and a touch of the flame to the used oil brought forth the telltale flaming oil. The oil had gasoline in it.
    No wonder he told me to change it. The crankcase was full of gasoline contaminated shipping oil. It’s a good thing I had sense enough to not run it much. It had 52 kilometers on it when I got it,and had 72 when I changed it.
    I believe since it was two years old, and it spent two years mostly sitting in their shop, the gasoline leached down into the crankcase from just disuse. That is why vintage metric bikes have petcocks on their fuel lines. To prevent this.
    After all these discoveries I had to decide if I was going to keep the trike. And I did. It still runs good and doesn’t smoke, so it should be alright.
    Now, with fresh oil and another full tank, I now have 178 kilometers on it and I’m pretty stoked about it. I rode it twice now in two days. It’s been fun.

[​IMG]

The river is a little high. I hope it doesn’t flood.
    Peace Brothers and Sisters.

Keithmax likes this.
  19. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

I don't know how prevalent its use is these days but back when I was rebuilding motorcycle and car engines in the UK in the 60's and 70's Break-In oil was widely used along with assembly lube.

And it's still readily available from a number of suppliers. Check out Amazon and you'll get more than a dozen hits like this...

[​IMG]

Break-In oils contain high levels of ant-wear additives - mostly zinc compounds - but they're not designed for extended use and should be changed after 50 or so miles.

I do think that these days most manufacturers break in the engines during manufacture so that the consumer doesn't have to bother with it.

Keithmax likes this.
  20. Morman Bridge

Hi, thanks for the information. I have never seen that stuff before. I suspect it may be an additive though, not a regular motor oil. I am 56 years old, and never heard of it. But then again, I have never rebuilt an engine, only removed and replaced engines. I never heard of it in my shop classes, nor while in the military either. And we did put a few new engines in various vehicles and other equipment. But, I definitely don’t know everything. Thanks for bringing me current. I appreciate it. Have a great day buddy!