Russian Straight Razor Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Oct 5, 2016.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Oh, one more thing, if you aren't proficient at honing, send it off. These are made of super hard steel, and are a very time consuming, if you aren't prepared.

Karl G, Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Karl G, Keithmax and mrchick like this.
  3. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

4. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

5. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

You are so right there,
    I dont have a Russian razor, well not at the moment, i have honed several in my time,
    But the first razor I honed (well tried to was a Russian razor) I did not fair too well against that hard steel,, also I was using a Norton 1k and 4k and they are just way tooo thirsty.
    I ended up giving up on honing or the idea of it for a few months, read up more on stuff, opted for a Chosera 1k, then I managed to hone up the razor, It took a fantastic edge, very under rated and under valued razors imho, sometimes they dont look as nice as others ie the finish/grind is not always perfect, but they shave very well.

If you like smaller blades and hollow grounds these razors would serve you very well.

6. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I have a Russian from the 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s. They are all superb but @Billyfergie is right about the 70s - much more hit and miss. Mine is an early 70s since it still has stamping on the tang. Most all of the Russians were made in two factories - ZTV or STIZ. I have two 1956 razors, one is a ZTV and one is a STIZ. My own preference is the ZTV as it seems smoother to me. :happy088:

I’ve had nothing but positive experiences buying from @mlys7884. He’s on eBay and has a site called Russian Razors. Just know you have to be patient as shipping from the Ukraine can sometimes take over a month. Plan on at least 3 weeks. If you want to save a little time, have it shipped directly to @gssixgun for honing. He’s honed everyone one of mine and I couldn’t be more pleased. :happy093:

Comrade to be, let the Motherland sing in your heart and rise like a True Son. Da, is good. :)

Keithmax, Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  7. rocksalt

rocksalt Member

Thanks everyone for the advice. I tried to adjust my notifications settings and apparently got a little to crazy. I thought that there were no more responses and so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on an eBay sale before I saw the response about the forums "preferred"seller. I also took M14shooters advice and am also winning a bid on a vintage Dovo. I will let you all know how it works out.

8. rocksalt

rocksalt Member

I have another question about having them honed. I have seen several people recommend I mail it to someone. Is that common practice, or is it also common to have it locally done? If I have it done locally and they don't do it too my liking, can a bad hone be corrected. I am asking specifically about the Russian steel because I understand it can be challenging.

9. DaltonGang

Anyone can say they can hone a Straight Razor, but that doesn't make it so. If it's done incorrectly, it can ruin a razor. My suggestion is to mail it to a trusted person, recommended by members here. If you have a razor you care little about, by all means, try out the local person, and see how his compares. I wouldn't risk an expensive razor on a local, who is relatively unknown.

10. rocksalt

rocksalt Member

Thanks! I will plan on sending "The Russian" to @gssixgun. What kind of prices should I expect to pay for standard honing on a Russian blade? Is it the same as what I should expect to pay for the Dovo ( I will likely be shaving with the Dovo first because I'm not expecting "The Russian" until next month)?
    Should I just pm @gssixgun our does he have a website?
    Sorry for all the questions, I really appreciate all the help.

Keithmax, Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  11. DaltonGang

This is @gssixgun website.

www.gemstarcustoms.com

Keithmax, Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  12. DaltonGang

@rocksalt , head over to the Welcome Center, and introduce yourself. Let us know about your shaving history, or whatever you like.

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  13. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Be very careful. You just bought a Russian and a German. Next it'll be a Swede, then a Sheffield, then a Japanese.........This is a bad place to hang out, so many enablers. Next thing you know; you'll be counting your razors, by weighing them by the ton, like @DaltonGang ;)

Karl G, Keithmax, M14Shooter and 2 others like this.
  14. DaltonGang

Haters always be hating. :susel:
    BTW, almost all of mine are rescue razors.

Karl G, Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  15. rocksalt

rocksalt Member

Tell me about it. I have never touched a straight razor to my own face; just made the decision to do it, and already I am the owner of no less than 6 razors! But I have a very specific purpose for each one. So, you know, I need all six of those...

Karl G, Keithmax, M14Shooter and 3 others like this.
  16. DaltonGang

Of course you do. ;)

17. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Just so you realize; we all have a problem and Ebay is a very poor counselor:)

Karl G, Keithmax, M14Shooter and 2 others like this.
  18. mlys7884

mlys7884 Well-Known Member

This year best soccer players from whole world will going to Russia, but first international soccer tournament there was in 1957 during VI World Festival of Youth and Students - only three teams took part...This is one of very small quantity of razors which were made by ZTV like memorable souvenir dedicated to this event.

DSCN0234.JPG DSCN0235.JPG

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    Dansco, Billyfergie, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  19. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

I’ll have to get some pictures of mine. I have one with clear scales, from 1955. When I bought it was shave ready. I’ve been able to maintain that edge, for about a year and a half. It’s one a reach for often. I love things made in Russia, and have a few Russian made watches as well.

Billyfergie, DaltonGang and Karl G like this.
  20. DaltonGang

Any luck with those pics? I've waited patiently. :D

Billyfergie and Karl G like this.