RazoRock Mamba

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Marine68, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

I can’t say to be honest. Never shaved with the EJDE89. Perhaps someone else here can chime in on any similarities between the two.

brit likes this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

i should receive mine next saturday from ib. can t wait to try it..

Str8on2 likes this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

20180225_212815.jpg i just shaved with the mamba and i am quite impressed.had a great 2 pas combo shave,minor pick ups.great dfs shave with no issues or irritation. love the weight ,the build quality is outstanding.the head is similar to a tech only with pins.it feels mild but then most of my razors feel mild and thats what i like.i like anything that is a 5.5 or less (based on a slim adjustable/ fatboy gauge) it weighs in at approx 88 grams where my heaviest razor weighs 82 grams-#16 brit aristocrat.at $49 it was a bargain and far nicer than my fendrihan scientist mk2 razor in quality and shave results.if you like mild-highly recommended. 20180225_122626.jpg

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    jeraldgordon and Str8on2 like this.
  4. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Congrats on the razor. I have found it to be a pleasant surprise. Although it's always a 3 pass shave with the Mamba, it's comfortable, very smooth and efficient enough with the blade I use. It has earned its stay in my den. Great shaves to you.... :happy088:

brit likes this.
  5. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

I’m still enjoying my new Mamba after three weeks or so. I’m using Feathers and back the handle off a quarter turn.

I get a dfs with two passes if I hold up my end of the deal. For my mandatory daily shave I prefer a razor that’s mellow but efficient.

luv2shave and brit like this.
  6. luv2shave

luv2shave Active Member

How does it compare to the feather as-d2 ?

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  7. Latherin’ Luddite

I’ve found myself gravitating to the Mamba. I really need to do a left/right “face off” with those two razors. I haven’t used the Feather since the Mamba arrived but I remember it being even more more mild for lack of a better word.

The balance is probably better with the Feather, but I quickly adjusted to the Mamba. At half the price I could easily be happy with the Mamba. I also like the slight adjustability with the Mamba.......... I currently back the handle off a quarter turn. I haven’t really experimented with it beyond that trial setting that’s worked well.

I’ve got just enough experience now to fully understand AND apply the technique trumps equipment philosophy............at least at this hair-splitting level. I’ve been getting great shaves with every gear combination, and only change things up because it’s fun and I’m free to do so.

Considering the quality of construction and materials, I really don’t see how the Mamba can disappoint many users. And the price point is barely above the zamac razors that are so well thought of.

brit likes this.
  8. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Why would you not just add a few shims and be a little more safer with a solid razor. Base plate and top cap should always be solid with the handle tightened to secure the blade for optimum results. Shims are easy to make- just cut the edges off of a used blades with scissors or tin snips and just a little off the ends to get them apart after use.(I store mine on a fridge magnet which is perfect because the backside is soft and the magnet is not extremely strong.) All the best!

brit likes this.
  9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

My thoughts are that “a few shims” leads to wavy spacing. If it isn’t the razor for a particular shaver, so be it, go find one that is.

Shimming a vintage because it is, well vintage, is a different story, but on an inexpensive modern, my three cents is to go elsewhere.

brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

If using shims in a modern, it generally indicates your angle of attack needs work or that the razor design doesn't suit you.

brit and Engblom like this.
  11. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Shimming is common and it makes a razor like a adjustable to a certain extent. To get a razor perfect for the owner and his technique is a huge task. Shimming will not change anything drastic and it will give the owner a chance to enjoy his razor more possibly, I shim all my razors for experimenting purposes and have enjoyed them shimmed and have gone back to just the stocked razor to feel the difference it makes.(Some folks think shimming is wrong- I just don't agree.)

brit likes this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Shimming is not common in any way. I'd venture that less than 5% of TSD users have ever tried it. I don't believe shimming is wrong, but rather it is simply a hardware fix for a skill and technique issue, and confuses newbies about what's really important.

BigMark83, brit, Engblom and 2 others like this.
  13. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

For a newbie you could be right on that point, there is no way to determine the 5 % of people do not shim but who cares. I have even shimmed my adjustable razors-:signs002:-to improve rigidity of the blade.:rofl:All the best!

brit likes this.
  14. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I think “common” is probably a stretch. Commonly understood as a possibility might be more accurate. I also suggest that a another “common” theory about quality DE razors is the level of blade support/clamping throughout the length of its edge that a razor has. I do not believe it is possible to stack hand trimmed blades under the cutting edge and maintain the razor’s optimal performance.

Fun to do when you shave for a hobby. To me a certain clue for newbies that you should look for a different razor.

brit and Bama Samurai like this.
  15. Latherin’ Luddite

If I need to start shimming then I know I don’t like the razor. I snug the handle down then back off a quarter turn, and it’s still close enough to tight that it’s probably not making any difference anyway.

brit and Bama Samurai like this.
  16. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Do you like the razor?

brit likes this.
  17. Latherin’ Luddite

Yes I do. And I’ve purchased another one for my dad’s upcoming birthday.

brit likes this.
  18. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

That is a thoughtful gift, It sure is a nice looking razor. Tomorrows shave for me is with the Razorock German 37 slant(one of my favourite razors), That razor I have experimented with a lot with with different techniques and shimming configurations that people might shake their head. I'm on a couple of different forums and this one I have just started recently. Tomorrows shave will be with 2 shims on the top of the primary blade because some people find the 37 slant a little aggressive and this will calm the aggression down a little and I will let them know if it works. I will not mention the other site because it takes people from here to there and that is a no no for these sites. Have a good evening and great shaves!

brit likes this.
  19. Latherin’ Luddite

The whole “aggressiveness” discussion could and will rage on forever. If I could grow a pirate grade beard overnight then maybe I’d get impatient with mild mannered razors. But I like to relax and enjoy my shaves with razors where a “mistake” means leaving some whiskers behind rather than getting bit. That means I’ll probably never own a slant, but I certainly think they look cool.

brit likes this.
  20. Bama Samurai

If people feel a razor needs a shim, then people by definition, don't "like the razor."

Think about what you're writing.

It's actually way less than 5%. No one who has mastered angle and bevel pressure would even consider this.

How do I know? I am a mod who reads shave forum all day, every day. I've also straightened out dozens (literally) of newbies who used to blame the tools. Vets too. Shimmjmg is rare, and oddly done by people who often report bad shaves. It's because they don't know what they are doing. This is why newbies buy 30 razors or try shims. All razors are the same at skin level. Irritation is always user, never the tool.

brit, Ijustmissedthe50s and Bookworm like this.