New Timeless Bronze Razor On The Way

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bill G, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

I have not posted anything in a while as life has been crazy, well hello everyone.

I just purchased a Timeless Bronze razor and its on the way to me as I type. I love the looks of this razor and will be giving the .38 SB a run. I hear this plate performs similar to there normal SS models .68 plate so should hopefully do well on my sensitive neck areas. If not I will try the .78 OC plate on it next.

I like aggressive razors on my cheeks but not on my neck area so for me a mild mid aggression works best. I had to retire the R41 as it was just two much over all even though I did get a great shave with it every now and then.

I get great shaves with my Mergress on setting 3 and setting 1.5 for touch up. I get good/great shaves with my ATT s-1 and my old faithful Murker 34C. The key with these razors like any is to just pay attention on my neck area. Razors anywhere more aggressive than these will give me fits.

I do have high hopes that the Timeless Bronze .38 SB plate will do a great job without having to purchase the .78 OC plate for it. I cant help but think the .78 OC plate may be a little to much but of course I will not know unless I try it. If the .38 SB plate works I wont have to worry about giving it a try.

I will report back in a few weeks with my shave results.

Happy Shaves To Everyone,
    Bill G

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  2. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

I have both plates. The 38SB wakes up with a Feather and it's forgiving even with super sharp steel. You'd have to try hard to get it to bite.

Hopefully that's all you will need. That are very attractive razors too. You plan on letting it age or are you gonna keep it clean?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Bill G likes this.
  3. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

I sure appreciate the feed back,

I disassemble my razors and rinse with hot water and wipe down completely and store without a blade after every use and my razors stay looking brand new (a little Vaseline or a light machine oil like 3 & 1 applied to the threads lightly). That's all I plan to do with the Timeless Bronze razor.

I think I have some Feather blades somewhere but have never really found a razor I like them in normally a little harsh for me. With that said the Timeless Bronze may be the one they work in. I do like the Astra SP blades in every razor so far that I have tried them in and they are a sharp blade to. Another good one for me is the Perma Sharp blades in the gold card board five blade packaging a nice sharp blade as well.

Again I am hoping for a mild mid efficient performance out of the .38 SB plate and do hope it does the trick for me. I don't mind making an extra pass or some clean up if the razor is good to the old neck area.

Yes, like you mentioned the Timeless Bronze is a very attractive razor.

Happy Shaves,
    Bill G

4. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

I have the bronze .78 OC Timeless and it's one of my faves. It's a smooth efficient DE but from your other razor preferences, I think, you might find the .78 a bit too efficient for you, albeit a smooth one. If in your experience you find the ATT SE1 just right, for me it's a waste of time and I use the SE2 OC.
    The Merkur 34C for me was hugely inefficient and gave it away. I use the variant on 4-5, I stopped using the 6S@6, because it's still too inefficient, the FB on 8 and all of the above with a feather blade.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    Bill G likes this.
  5. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Astra blades work very well in it too.

The 38 is pretty hard to cut yourself with unless you do something stupid, even with a Feather. It's mild enough that I could drive it everyday with no irritation.

You made a good choice. I think you'll like it.

Bill G likes this.
  6. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

BTW....with a 30 day no hassle return policy it's a no brainer. If you need more than the 38...swap out the baseplate for nothing.

Bill G likes this.
  7. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback,

Sounds like the .78 may be a little much for me on the neck area. I also have the ATT s-2 plate and even though I can get a close shave with it I have to be very very careful with it on the neck . I can not shave with the s-2 plate daily but find the s-1 plate to be good over all .

I shave every second day most times anyway because of my neck area and most times this way with the right razor there are no real issues.

Again I am hoping the .38 plate with a sharp blade will do the trick on the Timeless Bronze.

Happy Shaves,
    Bill G

8. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

Yes,

So true and a great deal for a company to offer its customers. ATT Razors also does this another nice razor company.

Happy Shaves,
    Bill G

9. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

That is a common theme I am hearing out there about the Timeless Bronze razor. That's good news to me.

Bill G

10. william beer

william beer Well-Known Member

I'll be interested in what you learn after the first shave with the Timeless Bronze 0.38. I would like to get you feedback and wonder what you might compare it to after you get your 1st shave under your belt.

Bill G likes this.
  11. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

I will for sure let you know. I am expecting it to be here around the middle of the week and I will for sure be giving it a test run.

Happy Shaves,
    Bill G

12. william beer

Looking forward to your report. The Timeless Bronze is one beautiful piece of hardware.

Bill

Bill G likes this.
  13. william beer

Hey there Bill...what's the verdict on the Timeless Bronze that you recently got?

Kind Regards,
    Bill

Bill G likes this.
  14. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Congaulations Bill on your new razor. I too have the Timeless Bronze (TB) and the ATT s1. I like them both. I have a medium beard and sensitive skin and both razors perform great for me. I have heard people say that the TB is too mild for them. It is not too mild for me. But as they say, YMMV. I hope you really enjoy your new razor. It is a beauty.

Bill G likes this.
  15. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

Bill,

I am getting a new house built right now and have been real busy. With that said right before I got the Timeless Bronze razor I got a bad shave on my neck with a bad or older razor blade I had (big mistake). Now that the neck area is all good with about 4 days growth I plan on giving the Timeless Bronze razor a run tomorrow afternoon after I get some sleep (I am on my nights shifts this week).

I will give a report after the shave and I hope it shaves as good as it looks. I also just got some new blades in from Amazon (Perma Sharp Supers & Astra SP blades). I should be in good shape no old blade issue. The question is should I try a Perma Sharp Super blade or the old trusty Astra SP in it for the shave. Both brands of these blades have done a great job for me in the past.

Happy Shaves,
    Bill G

william beer and john zeiger like this.
  16. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

I like both blades. They are in my top tier. With that said, my preference for new razors is the Astra SP. The blade gap on the TB may be .38 but I find it very efficient. I have found the Astra SP as a great blade for my TB. Just my humble opinion and we know YMMV. Best of luck with whichever blade you try. I can't wait to hear about your shave.

Bill G likes this.
  17. william beer

Good luck with your new house. We built one about 5 years ago down here in NC. Love it here. Sorry to hear about your bad experience with a bum blade. I got scratched on the face while gardening outside and keep opening it up every time I shave. I'll have to let it go for a couple of days until it heals more. I happen to be using Astra SP blades. I like them but they are very sharp so I have to be very careful when I use a new one.

I look forward to you impressions of the Timeless Bronze.

Bill

Bill G likes this.
  18. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

Well I got around to a shave today with my new Timeless Bronze razor .38 gap SB.

My impression is the razor is a very smooth affective and efficient razor. The razor has weight to it so I found managing that weight is critical. I held the razor close to the head to manage that and used light steady strokes giving great results. The razor has a.38 blade gap but more blade exposure the reason in my opinion for giving the razor it's efficiency. The big thing is the Timeless Bronze likes the head angle works with the handle more towards the face not riding the cap. This angle to me gave the best shave efficiency and smoothness with its head design YMMV.

This razor is unlike any other razor I have in feel and shave but as said by others smooth mild feeling and efficient. The razor gave me a DFS with two passes on the face and three passes done with a light touch on the neck area. Passes with the grain and accross some touch up on the neck against the grain. For me or in my opinion this razor likes a sharp razor blade YMMV.

Hot shower prep with Proraso white pre shave soap used was Shannons Bay Patcholuli Grapefruit (a great soap) razor blade was a Perma Sharp Super. I also think the Astra SP will be a good blade in this razor and I will give that blade a try down the road.

Happy Shaves All,
    Bill G

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    john zeiger and william beer like this.
  19. william beer

Good review Bill - thanks. The Timeless Bronze .38 sounds like a good fit for me and my sensitive skin/tough beard. I usually shave right after showering and I use Noxema on my face (wet my face and a very thin coat of Noxema over top of my wet face) and then I lather over top of the Nosema. Works pretty well for me but YMMV. If I am going for a BBS I will use the Noxema before each pass. I get no clogging of my razor and it princes of me and the razor just fine. Seems to help my skin. I finish with Nivea for sensitive skin. I'm looking for a milder razor than my Red Tip and 1934 New LC so I can give my face a rest. I may also consider the Razorock Mamba too - less than half the price of the Timeless and it's supposed to be a pretty high quality piece.

Bill G likes this.
  20. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

Bill,

The Mamba is a nice razor lighter and less efficient in my opinion than the Timeless Bronze but it is a smooth razor YMMV. The Mamba likes the angle to be more towards riding the cap handle away from the face more.

I also think a sharp blade is the way to go with the Mamba. The Mamba is well worth giving it a try for the cost the fit and finish is great. I plan on giving my Mamba more time on the face in the near future.

Happy Shaves,
    Bill G