Best and Worst Gillette DE Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rusty blade, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I only wish Gillette had produced more bakelite razors; there's something nostalgic about it.

brit and John Ruschmeyer like this.
  2. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

So far, I've tried the Gillette OLD, the NEW SC (I think an LC as well, but I'd have to look), 40's SS, 40's SS black tip, Flare tip, Red tip, 80's Black handled SS, a variety of techs, both post war, fat handle, and cheap, and the conclusion I can come up with is this.

There really aren't 'best' and 'worst'. There are less well designed - such as the Toggle - but they all do the job they were designed for. Holding a blade so you don't cut your fingers while shaving.

Possibly the 'worst' razors were the ones made prior to WW-II, when their quality control sucked rocks, especially on the handles.

gorgo2, Jim99 and Enrico like this.
  3. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I've owned

Aluminium Gillette Tech - my dad's, so going nowhere. Improved with a heavy brass handle but too mild for my tastes.

An English Gillette '58 TV Special - sold on.

A Gillette Rocket HD - still in the rotation.

A re-plated Gillette New Long Comb - still in the rotation.

A Gillette Slim Adjustable (I1) - sold on.

A Gillette Aristocrat 21 - sold on.

20180313_221715-1616x2881.jpg 20180313_221803-1929x2573.jpg

Most enjoyable shave
    1. New LC
    2. Rocket HD
    3. Aristocrat (pretty much the same shave as the HD but cut me more frequently)

Worst shave - none really. They can all get BBS. Tech takes more passes which takes too long. Aristocrat I had to be more careful. Slim I only really ever used on a 7, once I tried a few settings out. At the lowest settings it might as well have been a tech.

Do I miss my Aristocrat? Yes, for it's looks. I may get another one, one day. I thought I'd have that one forever. But in all honesty it was a slightly worse shave than the HD and I wanted money for straights.

AlDm, brit, Jorvaljr and 1 other person like this.
  4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

inspired me to use mine. 20180313_175048_resized.jpg I've no clue about its age.
    I remember looking it up and noticing mine had what looks like a aluminum top cap. It shaved very nicely.

brit, SHAVEWIZARD420 and Enrico like this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

1941-1945 WWII plastic Tech-2.JPG
    :eatdrink013: Yours only looks that way due to the loss of it's black coating; that happens to all of them when used.

6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

That's ridiculous. Of course there are. Perhaps you need to try a Slim Twist/Knack.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Jim99 likes this.
  7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Thanks, because of your help, i found mine is a (O1) from 1944.

Enrico likes this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

You ever use a '41 Ranger Tech?

Jim99 and Enrico like this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I just purchase a second one, due to selling my first one then regretting it. It gives a nice shave!

10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Black appliance epoxy enamel would do the trick.

11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've had about six of them, they shave fine to me, but no better than other 40's SS. Thus the reason I sold them all.

brit likes this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I even thought of sending it to be powder coated. :D

13. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Shaved like a SuperSpeed. The good part about them is that you can pull the handle off and put on your own.

No, wanna send me one? :)

I figure it'll probably shave like my Sheraton, which I had no problems using.

I wonder why people keep saying the Aristocrat is aggressive. I've been getting good shaves from mine, and I don't think I've cut myself at all. Razor burn, yes, but that was the blade, not the razor. (Something weird happened to the blade; it actually turned a weird brown colour on the sides)

brit and Enrico like this.
  14. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Not a big fan of any of the TTO offerings. The top cap is taller than I prefer.

If I had to choose a favorite vintage Gillette user, it would probably be the New Deluxe. I use mine on a bulldog hande
    [​IMG]

My favorite looking razor has been the Old Type Aristocrat with the bell tube handle.

[​IMG]

Thanks Achim for your wonderful pics, collection, and knowledge.

AlDm, brit, Linuxguile and 5 others like this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've had the Sheraton and Aristocrat and found their shaves no worst nor better than other less desired razors. So I sold them and went on looking at other razors.

Only my opinion I rank them similar in this way to ...

Sheraton .... 40's Super speed
    Aristocrat .... Fat Boy

This isn't to put either one down, just my views.

By the way "less desired" is only meaning as an example SS or Flare ... not particularly hard to find.

16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

You sir are a glass half full kinda guy. I think they're an embarrassment to Gillette in terms of quality. In terms of the shave I'll take a Krona any day.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

brit and Jorvaljr like this.
  17. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I have a Gillette h3 slim adjustable that is 56 yrs old and works just as good as the day it was bought (BBS) and has a reasonable finish on it still. They built it to last and the quality for a mass produced item (millions ) is very impressive. Gillette makes excellent DE blades IMO smooth and sharp to this day(still the leaders in a lot of ways.)

18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Oooooh I was trying to following what line was an embarrassment of Gillette and finally realize you were talking about the Knack and Slim Twist.

Jorvaljr and jmudrick like this.
  19. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

For me the 21 was a little better shave than the HD.

Dansco likes this.
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

And they clearly did not sell very well because Gillette reverted back to the basics super speed shape and length with the black handles, up to the end of DE.