Mild Shavers Thread-Techs,TTOs,Anything mild!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MR41, Mar 4, 2018.

?

Do you consider a Gillette Red Tip mild?

1. Yes

2. No

3. It Depends on the day

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I’ve never heard of or seen one. The only Stahly I knew of was an early electric. Where’d you find it?

2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Same razor as you've seen, just not using the wacky vibrating handle.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

MacDaDad and brit like this.
  4. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I agree that it’s pretty subjective. To me it is; it’s a superspeed so I lump it in. It’s no old type or fatip.

jmudrick likes this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Not the only consideration but the blade gap on the Red Tip is only .02mm greater than the 40s Super Speed. That's what your lawyer would call diminimus .

MR41 likes this.
  6. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I like it. I’m gonna quote it!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    jmudrick likes this.
  7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I love adjustable & have 2- the Gillette SA and the Ming Shih. The latter is a look-alike for the Merkur Progress, but is reputed to be milder at any given setting. At lower settings both are mild shavers. The Lady Gillette Star series are also mild shavers. My husband adopted one of mine for that reason,

Yehuda D, Jim99, MR41 and 1 other person like this.
  8. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

FAD384D9-0F58-44EE-9757-39DDE8312424.jpeg

As evidenced by the pole, including the Red tip on this thread is controversial; but that’s my take on it.:)

brit and Yehuda D like this.
  9. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

Came here searching for Krona, which I recently got along with an English Flat Bottom Tech. Only two shaves in, but thus far I wouldn’t rate it as mild based on skin feel. Maybe medium plus on aggression, but sadly I don’t find efficiency to follow. (Said Tech is both smoother and more efficient.)

Having read through the posts here now, I’ll try and dig out my birth year SS again and its adjustable sibling (both Y1), neither of which gave me especially good shaves when I acquired them early on in my wet shaving career.

Nobody has mentioned New as far as I can recall. My New LC is definitely mild, so much so that it too has lost out in the rotation.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    brit, AGHisBBS and MR41 like this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Very early on in starting DE shaving I tried a New LC and thought it was too aggressive and thus not for me. Recently I acquired a Minora LC and found it gentle and efficient; with improved technique I've realized I must go back and try the razors I previously gave up on.

MacDaDad, brit, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  11. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Going back to my first razors with improved technique is what I’ ve done. My first razor was a 1958 superspeed and I hated it. Now with years of technique honed on very aggressive razors and shavettes, I have come to really enjoy Superspeeds.

MacDaDad, brit, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  12. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

My first/only DE razor was a SuperSpeed. When you have ONE choice, you get good with it. After thirty years, just about all razors are easy enough to use. Some are just more of a pain than others - like the FaTip Piccolo. I could get good shaves with it, but it was annoying.

13. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I find neither Tech nor SuperSpeed to be super mild. Yes, they are milder than many other razors, but you can easily find more mild razors than these.

Of the razors I have, I find iKon X3, both open comb and closed comb of Saiver, iKon #102, Merkur 15C, Merkur 45C to be milder.

My favorite ultra mild razors are iKon X3 and Saiver (loaded with included shim and only one blade despite it being designed for two blades).

MR41 likes this.
  14. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Do you have a pic of the Saiver?

15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Mine[​IMG][​IMG]

MacDaDad, brit, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  16. Engblom

Despite this razor is meant to be loaded with two blades I always load it with on blade like this: cap -> included shim -> blade -> base plate -> handle.

I am too lazy to make own pictures, so I took these pictures from ebay.

This travelers version has become my favorite and I am often using it while shaving at the sauna: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Compact-Tr...device-Saiver-Rapira-blades-gift/222240343439

Picture from Ebay:
    [​IMG]

They also make one with one side open comb and the other one with safety bar (picture also from ebay):

[​IMG]

brit, Jim99, MR41 and 1 other person like this.
  17. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I’m watching it on eBay. I’m trying to understand the how it works with 2 blades. And why you’d use it with 2; do they stack or do you use one side with one blade and another with the other Side?

18. Engblom

There is no real benefit of loading it with two blades. I tried this configuration only once, and all shaves after I only used it with one blade.

If you really would want to load it with two blades, you first snap one blade in half, placing both parts on the cap. They will slightly overlap each other. Then you place the shim, and then you place one blade more there (without snapping it in half) then you add the base plate and tighten down.
    [​IMG]

brit and MR41 like this.
  19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I also gave it one or two shots and wasn't terribly impressed.

MR41 and Linuxguile like this.
  20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Here is another mild razor, the Supply Provision Safety Razor. It is an injector with three plates: mild, milder, and mildest. I used it for the first time today with the #3 plate which is supposed to be the most aggressive of the mild plates. I got a great shave, but it is definitely a mild razor.

sod180314.JPG