Rockwell Model T

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sabre, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Has this ever been released?

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

No. I wouldn't hold your breath.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  3. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Supposed to ship this soon...

Early backers are supposed to get their razors by the end of March. But, I expect mine by the summer.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  4. Terry Williams

5. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Thanks, I am a $79.00 backer. I never seem to get any updates via email.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  6. Terry Williams

You should be getting one very soon. You might want email Gareth to see if they have your current contact information. I get the updates via Kickstarter. So, you might try there, too.

7. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Here are few concerns/comments by a curious backer regarding the razor. I sort of agree with him because something don't add up:

@Rockwell Razors - In the Comments section update posted below (3 days ago), you said the first shipment of White Chrome orders "went out on schedule" to Canadian backers. But then you also wrote: "We’re also going to be sending one final address confirmation email out to all backers to ensure no pledge rewards are sent to incorrect or old addresses".

As you haven't sent out that email yet and in fact say it will be sent "in the upcoming weeks", it seems rather strange that you would have already shipped out *some* razors to backers.

Or have you?

Further to that point, Update #29 on Feb 23rd said "the first tracking numbers should be out next week", i.e. by the end of the next week, which was Friday March 2nd. If even some of those WC-to-Canada orders "went out on schedule", and were sent using the slowest shipping service available, Canada Post's "Regular Parcel", items would have arrived on the other side of the country last week, and more locally a week and a half ago. Via any other CP shipping service or any other delivery service, 4-5 business days max, sent all the way across country is the standard.

I checked here and on a few other shaving forums and the usual social media platforms and have not yet seen anyone post anywhere that they'd received a request for address confirmation email, let alone got a tracking # — or that they'd now received their Model T razor. Last night, I asked a fellow Canadian who I know is an Ultra Early Birder and who is in for White Chrome if he'd received a tracking # yet. Answer: NO.

So, what's going on?

@Rockwell Razors - re: verification process, thanks, great answer.

As for the other part: I think a vast majority of the 500 Ultra Early Birders — who *all* got in on the Model T within hours of project launch — did so after seeing it announced on various shaving forums, and sure, maybe all but a few of the Canadians among them are lurkers, but if there's ever a reason to make a post there (or here), "I GOT MY MODEL T, AT LAST!!!" is a pretty damn good one!

Come on Canadian Early Birders who are in for White Chrome... I want to hear from you, and I know I'm not alone!!!

Btw, did you specifically ask recipients for emailed feedback? Am wondering why someone who can't even be bothered to post here would type out an email to you.

Tell you what, send me a WC on loan (because I'm on for GM) and I'll send you a very nice email ;)

8. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I will believe it when I see the Razor in my hand. I am beginning to think "Kickstarter is a bunch of BS. I have backed everyone of the Razors and I got two of the first ones. Then they sent out Two more still haven't got any thing on the new ones. I backed 4 to give as gifts. They said they would be out in October. Well you can see now they aren't out yet.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  9. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

I’ve been pretty patient about this KS. My order was placed well over a year ago.

I just went to see some comments and now they are saying May!!!

Come on!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PatrickA51 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  10. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

PatrickA51 and Norcalnewb like this.
  12. Terry Williams

Hey! Where did you get that picture of me?! I look pretty pretty good in profile.

13. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Its never to late to go to church and throw a prayer or two for the razor, repent! hahaha

14. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I am quite satisfied that mine will get here when it gets here. They were pretty upfront right from the start that the manufacturing and assembly was going to be complicated and might take awhile to sort out, and they have given regular updates on progress and setbacks. I note that it took Gillette about five years to get the originals off the ground in final form so I don't consider Rockwell's lead time to be excessive.

15. Terry Williams

Agreed. I would love to get mine soon, as we've been waiting awhile, but Rockwell has been communicative and I think that is good. Besides, I love my 6S and it's not like I can't shave. I'm not really in a hurry anyway and it seems like this won't be my last razor purchase, FWIW. I think one problem with Kickstarter campaigns is that it seems like you are getting a "good deal" on something, but in truth, you are just gambling on an idea. There is no "thing." But, I've wasted worse money than this. Though, it can be pretty hard to get your hopes up only to be dashed when there is "another problem." That said, I'm still chasing the carrot.

Screwtape likes this.
  16. Screwtape

Yes, Kickstarter itself is pretty blunt. You aren't buying a product, you are helping to finance an attempt to get the manufacture of a product off the ground -- and the whole thing could crash on takeoff. Frankly I find all the moaning and complaining rather amusing. What do people think happens with prototypes? I actually think the Rockwell T project has been sailing along fairly smoothly...

Terry Williams likes this.
  17. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I'm sure they will deliver the product with a delay, that's given... How will it perform and how durable will be that's something only time can tell.

Terry Williams and Screwtape like this.
  18. Screwtape

Yep. It could be good for a century of superb service or it might be fit only for the garbage can from day one. That's why they call it gambling...

19. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Good point. It should also be added that the classic Gillette adjustable razors represented the epitome of over a half century of DE razor engineering and manufacturing, not to mention the investment in specialized manufacturing equipment. By comparison, Rockwell is starting from almost square one and trying to get there with contractors. It's probably worth noting that even Weishi, who probably has the most relevant skillset to make a modern Fatboy or Slim, thought the manufacturing too complex.

Screwtape and Terry Williams like this.
  20. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I think the biggest issue I have with Kickstarter is how it is run. I am by no means an expert entrepreneur, but it seems to me that people get into Kickstarter campaigns with very little understanding of what they are funding. I would disagree that Rockwell has communicated well here, as they have fallen short of every, and I pretty much mean everything, promise they made. They have missed every deadline, the razor is not made of the same materials they promised, and, I know the pricing doesn't necessarily mean much to the backers already in, but they completely missed their price estimates it sounds like to me. It appears to me they have had no business plan in this case, and that is what a lot of Kickstarter projects miss. Unfortunately, the backers pay the price. By short cutting the necessity to get a sound business plan to either get a loan or typical investors for a new product, they have allowed people who haven't done all the research to start up a new project with very little understanding of how well it might do.

I honestly don't have a dog in this fight, as I chose to stay out of this one, but sometimes it seems to me that Kickstarter and other crowd funding sites are made to take advantage of people.