No Safety Bar? who's brave?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Weeper Warrior, Jun 5, 2015.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yep, too.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Yep, three.

3. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

“Hey, watch this!!”
    Famous last words of a redneck....

AGHisBBS, richgem and Jayaruh like this.
  4. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I think those are actually "... hold my beer!"

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The actual quote is.."Hey...hold my beer and watch this" I am pretty sure my last words will be "well crap that didn't work..."

RyX likes this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Wow you dug up an old one...

On the track of the thread though I picked up a Schick G1 with outthe safety bar. Come May we will see how it compares to a blade glued to a stick.

Jayaruh and RyX like this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Nope, nope, nope ... I'm not that bored. Just because could shave with a broken piece of glass, doesn't mean I would.

Now obsidian ... that would be cool!

Geology and shaving all in one can't get much better than that!

8. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Yeah, I did. I had that NYBB DE Straight Razor in my mind and I was trying to find one. That is how I ran across this thread.
    [​IMG]

AGHisBBS and SpeedyPC like this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You stole that from Buck Rodgers? Veddy shiney.

Jayaruh likes this.
  10. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

My father in law used his whole life an Old Type, that had no base plate. I offered him a full razor, but he did not want. He was thinking he gets good shaves with his tool. Like that he was, he did not need a lot of luxury.

Some years ago I modified a RiMei (a dirt cheap Tech clone), by removing the safety bars. It is not that difficult to shave with a razor similar to this one, but I did not find it to be a particularly joyful.

Enrico likes this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

There are somethings that sound crazy that are fun ... midnight walks with your kids, smelting all night, skinny dipping, moving to another country with only a couple bags ... shaving with a DE razor and no guard not one of them.

12. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I read somewhere that many removed the safety bars in the (they described) depression era.

13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Sounds like a bad frame of mind. :confused:

14. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I think at that time, safety razors had flooded the market and some men where forced (or found it easier) to move away from the lavishness of straights and the equipment required to upkeep them, to move to safety razors, which they found very mild. So they ground off the bar.
    (All of this is just impressions,supplication, of mine by the artical i read) if memory serves, and it may not, @PLANofMAN may know more.

PLANofMAN and Enrico like this.
  15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    based on my research, it was mostly pre 1930's-1940's, and involved older gentlemen, who disdained the "safety bar," as they grew up learning to shave with straight razors. Those stories are almost all "my grandfather ground the safety bar off all his razors" and rarely was an explanation why given. We can only assume that a) they didn't like the safety bar, or b) they didn't like someone saying they needed a safety bar.

If a person uses proper technique, then a safety bar is pointless. They may have seen the safety bar as the shaving equivalent of training wheels.

Linuxguile and Bama Samurai like this.
  16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    This is really funny. All the posters "afraid" of this razor. Side note: I am JUST seeing this and came up with my DE-Vette dubbing of Tom's razor all on my own. Promise. :)

Jim99, Edison Carter and twhite like this.
  17. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I have done a couple of shaves with my Bunny V3 razor without the comb guard. Very satisfying shaves. I was however very attentive to angle and pressure.

Edison Carter and twhite like this.
  18. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I have a few tech razors with plating loss so this might be something I finally get around to doing.

19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'm having fun.[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

20. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

I actually tried this a few years ago after seeing someone one do it on youtube, and I can honestly say that I got the closest shave of my life...With that being said--go slow & use caution!

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

Edison Carter likes this.