Aqua velva classic blue

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by jeff fugate, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

We still have glass bottles for AV in France and ceramic bottles for Old Spice. Actually everything is glass except Brut Splash and now there is a campaign against the use of plastic.

jeraldgordon and Paul Turner like this.
  2. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

I like Brut also, but I prefer Clubman & AV just a notch more. Clubman has to be the best for the price. Just a great scent.
    Steve

EnglishChannel and Paul Turner like this.
  3. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I tried the Old Spice in Germany...It was still in the ceramic bottles and it smelled very close to the original...Might be the same sauce they're serving in France....Those that have tried the French OS, how does it smell?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  4. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Old Spice never used to be widely available in France. It was also very expensive. It's widely available and inexpensive, depending on the retailer, in the UK. It's the same version in every European country.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Never have figured out why so many people favor plastic to glass. I have a glass Aqua Velva Ice Blue bottle. When it is empty it I refill it from a plastic one. I will not have a plastic AV bottle on my sink counter.
    Good man!!

Paul Turner and Smooth Steve like this.
  6. Harry Lime

Harry Lime Member

I like AV Ice blue. I generally prefer the drug store AS to the expensive variety...love Clubman stuff. If you enjoy menthol try Jeris Osage Rub. It is very cold. When you first put it on there is a strong medicinal smell that dissipates quickly. I hear you can mix it 50/50 with Skin Bracer and the medical smell is tamed, i don't mind it though. It's best in the warmer months.

Paul Turner likes this.
  7. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

I enjoy the feel of AV Ice Blue, but it’s too powdery for my nose. My wife and son like it the best of my cheapies though. I like Clubman and Skin Bracer scents the best.

I’ve fallen down the rabbit hole though, and as I train my nose my preferences are shifting. I’m currently enjoying the fancier TDH, ADP and Creed Aventus scents in soaps and aftershave. I’ve never sampled the real GIT, but Stirling’s take on it is also great to my sniffer now.

8. Latherin’ Luddite

AV Blue, Skin Bracer, and Clubman were my first three aftershaves. But I quickly fell down the rabbit hole and after doing so, my sniffer because more .........refined?

I love Skin Bracer and have way too many childhood memories of it also, so it’ll always be on my shelf. Clubman seems to be something only I enjoy, so I wear it with complete satisfaction.......alone.

But as my collection grows and my nose learns to work better, I realize why the really cheap scents are priced as they are. There’s a time and place for all of them.

9. brit

brit in a box

i like the aqua velva original sport the best, mennen skin bracer next. clubman is awesome but i only wear it at home.same as tabac and old spice . proraso s/s and speick have better face feel to me. the rest of my a/s are artisan. i no longer wear powdery scents at work so i stick to proraso wood and spice or casual colognes.

Jim99 likes this.
  10. Latherin’ Luddite

I just received my first bottle of Osage Rub yesterday. I love the feel, but the scent is a lot like mouthwash.

I’m considering mixing it with Luck Tiger for additional skin conditioning.

11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

When you say Clubman is something only you enjoy, do you mean your family doesn't?

12. Paul Turner

Good to know the medicinal smell dissipates quickly.

13. Latherin’ Luddite

My wife makes a bitter beer face, my son says he likes it but he’s just being a great son, and I’ve watched for and noticed subtle body language with coworkers trying to distance themselves from “that guy.”

I had a coworker jump in my pickup at the beginning of my shift and crack his window after two minutes. I went on the offensive and apologized for splashing some on right before work, thinking I’d be alone all day. I’ve since converted him to wet shaving, so he understood better where I was coming from.

I’ve learned to use more commonly acceptable scents, or make SURE I’m going to be alone for the day!

Paul Turner likes this.
  14. Latherin’ Luddite

I was hiking through the timber one day when a deliciously sweet fragrance hit my nose. I hiked around trying to pinpoint if it was something alive or decaying when I suddenly realized my Clubman was mixing with the surrounding smells!

Enrico and Paul Turner like this.
  15. Paul Turner

I might suggest your wife has a look at the Amazon review of Clubman Original A.S. titled "Transported On A Chairlift". "-)

Latherin’ Luddite likes this.
  16. Latherin’ Luddite

Ha! I remember that review. :D

Paul Turner likes this.
  17. Paul Turner

It was/is a classic :).

18. Harry Lime

Harry Lime Member

My wife doesn't like it either. Of all my AS its her least favorite. I wear it anyway, exclusively for the last decade or so. I used one razor, blade, soap, and AS. Lately, I have branched out to others and her nose is happy, however, her purse is not

brit likes this.
  19. Latherin’ Luddite

Not to hi jack this thread but there’s a real classic on an insulated coffee mug also.

20. ZipZop

ZipZop Well-Known Member

Aloha!

Good thread. And timely. I've been a fan of Clubman for a long time. Classic Pinaud, Bay Rum, Citrus Musk, and a few others. Including the love-it-or-hate-it Lilac Vegital. More on that at the end if you think it's a bit over-bearing.

But as for Aqua Velva;
    Recently I was out and about and needed a shave (on the fly in a public men's room). I sometimes have to do this when traveling for the day where I am called out so early on an emergency that I don't have time to shave in the morning. So I stopped into a drug store and got a bottle of Aqua Velva. I swear, I got more complements on how I smelled post shave with that drug store scent than with any of my high dollar colognes. Some of the Clubman scents garner me praise, but not like I experienced with Aqua Velva.

I've worn Skin Bracer for years, mostly after shaving with Arko soap as Skin Bracer really complements Arko scent on the face. It's another simple Drug Store Scent that works. But still, Aqua Velva holds the high bar for praise. Go figure. And it feels good on the skin. Not bad for a simple Drug Store variety.

--------------------

I read a barber-trick for Clubman Lilac Vegital somewhere and it really works to tone down the scent of Lilac Veg. For every 8 oz of Lilac Veg, pour in 1 oz of Wintergreen Alcohol, 2 oz of Witch Hazel, and 2 oz of distilled water. Amazing. Takes the nose of Lilac Veg down about 10 notches and makes it feel better on the skin as an aftershave. It has to be Wintergreen Alcohol. The regular does not do the trick. You need the Wintergreen to flavor down that nose in the Lilac Veg.

Mahalo!

-Zip

Paul Turner likes this.