Preferred Shave Bowls & Why?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Biglou, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Biglou

Biglou Active Member

Good afternoon gents!

I’m looking for a new bowl, we’ll just because I guess. My current one is a drug store buy and works fine. Looking to spice things up and bit and something deeper so I can drop a hard soap puck into.

I like the Edwin Jagger Bowl but wanted to get your opinions too.

What bowls do you all like and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keithmax, Zykris and RyX like this.
  2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Captains Choice. Best bowl I ever had (broke it), and the only one I will ever buy again. It is wide, shallow sides, good ridges. I recommend checking them out.

3. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

+1 on the Captains Choice bowl. I have the large and I love it!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Keithmax and TestDepth like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've separated soap storage containers from lather making receptacles. Old Spice mugs and the like are too narrow to get a good swirl on. I use them for soap samples and only do brush time to get the product loaded. A 4-5" diameter bowl gives much more room to swirl and slap without overspill assuming you are bowl lathering.

As part of a PIF I got an Ikea Grundtal container. Stainless steel, screw on clear top lid, magnetic base, 4" diameter and deep enough to hold most hard puck soap refills. Some hobby stores carry a painted steel version for a couple bucks less. It's classy looking in a sterile medical way and plenty big for loading your largest brush.

Keithmax and Edison Carter like this.
  5. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Handmade in North Carolina, they don't have a website.

2 large.jpg

I like a loose fitting lid to keep dust and cat hair out, but not airtight, I keep the soap in it and lather on top. I was looking for a small crock or sugar bowl when my wife bought me the one above. I don't know if they meant for it to be used for soap, but they also had handmade shave and bath soap.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  6. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Love my Georgetown Pottery Scuttle but my daily driver is a double wall cheapie stainless steel bowl. The SS can be dropped a hundred times and comes out unscathed. Doesn't look anywhere as nice as the scuttle but it does the job.

Keithmax likes this.
  7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I use an ebay Chinese SS bowl, its the same dimensions as the soap bowl in the VDH kit you find at walgreens . I use it because it works well, its cheap and I can't break it when I drop it on the tile floor of the bathroom. :happy088:

Ijustmissedthe50s and Keithmax like this.
  8. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

The only bowl I have is a textured copper bowl from Turkey on Amazon. It was cheap but makes a great lather and will not break if accidentally dropped.

9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I have one of those also. It’s actually a pretty nice bowl, but I have to be careful the weight of the brush doesn’t tip it over into the sink. I have had this happen a couple of times.

Keithmax, Zykris and RyX like this.
  10. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

My favorite bowl is a Jays Clay in a color that matches my bathroom. It fits my hand well and has enough shaving specific features to feel like it’s worth the money................and it has Jay’s autograph! :D

I just started using a scuttle last week (Crown King) and admit its actually pretty nice having warm lather until the rinse. I bought it because I knew it’d take longer to shave while learning a Straight, but I’ve been using it for all my shaves. I’ve noticed that the heat dries out my lather a little, but adding a couple drops of water is a fair trade.

As we head towards summer and the menthols, I’ll park the scuttle. But for winter shaves I can see the appeal.

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  11. Biglou

Biglou Active Member

I really like those Captain’s Choice Bowls because of the width and the ridges but also really like the uniqueness of a handmade pottery bowl.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

luv2shave, Keithmax and RyX like this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Hard to be the price and effectiveness of this bowl
    92ea8e68-55cd-480f-a643-294d3d9d39e5_1.07e370005e945684f7958f45117d9abc.jpeg
    Salsa bowl can be bought for about 50¢

brit, gorgo2, RaZorBurn123 and 5 others like this.
  13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Mine is a buffalo horn bowl I got on eBay.

14. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Mines blue and it's my daily driver when I bowl lather.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Keithmax likes this.
  15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I don't use a bowl to lather in. My bowls are for keeping stuff in. However, I got this nice Trukish mug/bowl for the looks. It is great for keeping stuff in, and whenever I have a new boar or badger brush, I will use the bowl for the initial lathering. Otherwise, they are just for show and sto'.

turkish-2.JPG

Zykris, COMPNOR, RyX and 2 others like this.
  16. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I originally used an earthenware rice bowl, but I dropped it six inches to the sink once and it shattered.

I have two bowls I use now. One is a horn quaich (shallow Scottish whiskey drinking bowl) that I got from an eBay Renaissance Faire vendor. I finished it with urethane to keep the wet conditions from (further) delaminating the horn. It's almost the perfect width and depth for me for whipping lather and the handles give a nice grip.
    IMG_00000097.jpg

The second is a wood shave bowl with button knobs in the bottom to aid in swirling lather. It was made by Jason @jtspartan who mainly hangs out in the 30DC thread in the Shave School here. He made a number for Crew members.
    IMG_00000205.jpg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    RyX, Linuxguile, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  17. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

My favorite bowl is m @jtspartan bowl by Jason. It hit’s all the right characteristics: bowl with and depth, the buttons on the bottom, looks great and made by a TSD brother.

BaylorGator, RyX and jtspartan like this.
  18. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Agreed. Plus, being wood, it doesn't shatter when the cat knocks it off the sink. Also, mine is a great match to my favourite brushes, which are all woodhandled ones I acquired since joining TSD -- Jason made two and reknotted one for me (a Semogue), and Jim @Jayaruh also a TSD member made the other two.

19. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

20. SparrowPoint

SparrowPoint Active Member

I just like the Marvey mug and The VDH bowl.