Rockwell Model T

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sabre, Mar 16, 2018.

1. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Not sure how good this will be, but Weishi is teaming to come out with a TTO adjustable. The kickstarter hasn't been around for long and, I believe, the release is planned for early summer.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...r-adjustable-for-superb-shaving-comf/comments

Screwtape likes this.
  2. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

The Parthenon razor looks very interesting. It should be noted, though, that it's design is closer to that of the Futur but TTO. (Does that make it more like a Merkur Vision 2000?)

The part I found interesting was the following comments from QShave:

"The two razors are different in many ways. One of the major different is adjustable mechanisms. Rockwell's T model's mechanism is the same as Gillette Fatboy produced in 50s which uses only 4 bars to adjust the blades; Parthenon's entire blade tray moves when adjusting, the mechanism is similar with Merkur. The reason we did not use the 4-bar mechanism is that we found the bars were easily interfered with the butterfly open tops, and it affected the shaving experience and had relatively higher defect rate. We chose our technical & design solutions which fits our design goal (better shaving) and manufacture capability. Don't get me wrong. I think Rockwell's T model could be a good razor if they had solved the problems which I mentioned before. And actually our factories had received several inquiries of making the 4-bar adjustable mechanism razor. We had spent quite some time to study it, and the realize the manufacture difficulties. I think that's why Gillette had changed the design 4 times between 1958 and 1961, and eventually stopped producing it. I checked the Rockwell's project page, and their project is already delayed for over a year due to the manufacture issues."​

As I said previously, at the time, Gillette had over 50 years experience in making DE razors and 20 years experience in making TTO razors as well as specialized tooling. Rockwell, on the other hand, is a modern company which outsources its design and manufacturing. As a result, I think they are encountering the issues that occur when design meets reality.

PatrickA51 and DesertTime like this.
  3. DesertTime

I agree with you.Great post.

My post was just addressing your claim that Weishi decided not to make an adjustable TTO razor. Their engineers took a design approach that was easier to manufacture (good engineering practice, BTW), but had the two key elements: adjustable and TTO.

Your assessment and analysis is spot on, though. I think the Parthenon is similar to the Merkur Vision, as you noted. I didn't notice that until you mentioned it.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

These comparisons are pretty superficial, the Vision was an extremely complex design with a very unique TTO mechanism, definitely not the basis for this razor. It remains to be seen how it compares in terms of its operation with the Progress/Gibbs/Gillette razors in terms of its adjustment mechanism.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

PatrickA51 and DesertTime like this.
  5. DesertTime

Never even held a Vision. It was a huge razor, too. I once saw a side-by-side comparison of the Vision and a Futur, which I do own. The Vision was also very expensive for its time and not commercially successful.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  6. DesertTime

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  7. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

The guy I saw on reddit says he really likes how it shaves. He said it was rather aggressive, but smooth.

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    :happy088:

Tdmsu likes this.
  9. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I am still awaiting mine :(...

Tdmsu likes this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    waiting4.gif

11. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

The good news is they started shipping. The bad news is after April 30th, the price doubles.... Yup, $195. :shocked003:
    The scoop below.....

[​IMG]
    posted by Gareth Everard

Apr 4, 2018 • 12:14PM PDT

March Update - Shipping Continues & Price Increase

Dear Backers,

We’re thrilled to announce that the Model T has started to be received by backers, and the reviews are rolling in - it’s official, the Model T is a hit! Here’s an excerpt from one of the reviews:

The Razor itself feels fantastic to hold – a bit heavier than my 6C, with a longer handle. [...] I popped in a blade and played around a bit with the settings and you could visibly see the blade gap closing in and opening up as I adjusted between 1 to 6. [...] Just had my first shave with the Model T and Rockwell blades. Have to say, I’m totally convinced. Started off on the 1 setting and it was very smooth. Barely felt like there was any blade contact with my skin, but it still passed through my hair much more efficiently than the #1 plate on my 6C. [...] Already looking forward to my next shave.

You can read the full review on Reddit here! We’ll be including even more reviews in next month’s update once even more Model T razors have been shipped out and received. If you’ve received your razor already and want to pass along your feedback, please feel free to do so in the comments below!

Shipping Progress

We’re continuing to ship through April, so keep an eye for that email requesting any last-minute address changes!

Pricing Update

This is the announcement we’ve most been looking forward to making. We really appreciate the patience and support our backers have shown over the past 2 years of this project. Many of you are aware of the challenges we at Rockwell Razors faced bringing the first adjustable twist-to-open in decades to market. We’re extremely proud to be the first company to bring an adjustable twist-to-open razor to market that isn’t a multimillion dollar corporation with an extensive team of full-time engineers and their own production facilities. That being said, it’s come to our attention over the process of manufacturing and assembling the Rockwell Model T that we drastically underestimated the costs required to complete each Model T unit. Of course, we're standing by our backers’ pledges between $79 and $99 for a Model T razor, 100 Rockwell Blades, a Rockwell Blade Safe, and a Rockwell Leather Sheath. However, the pre-order price and regular retail price for just the Model T, effective May 1st, will be $195. That means that you, our backers, will be getting $214 of value for just your pledge of between $79 and $99. We can’t think of a better way to say thank you for all your patience, and we hope this helps make the short remaining wait a little more bearable!

It’s also worth pointing out - if you have any friends who are still waiting to pre-order their Rockwell Model T, they have until April 31 to reserve their razor at the current price at rockwellrazors.com - after that, the price doubles!

~~~

We're looking forward to updating you with our shipping progress in the April update, and please don't hesitate to reach out to info@rockwellrazors.com with any questions in the meantime!

Sincerely,

Gareth
    Co-Founder, Rockwell Razors

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Tdmsu and DesertTime like this.
  12. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

lol $195 price tag for zamac razor that is not easy to produce, razor will eventually be discontinued the same way Merkur discontinued their Vision 2000

DesertTime likes this.
  13. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Wow! Gareth did it! He reinvented the 195 Adjustable. :eatdrink013:

14. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Probably so... But, at least, I will have one ;)

jwr3265, Str8on2 and blashe like this.
  15. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

I'm still glad I didn't bail out from the Kickstarter 2 years ago, man!! what a painfully long wait for the Rockwell Model T

HURRY UP!!! I've waited long enough for 2 years scratching my bare butt

jwr3265, Str8on2 and Tdmsu like this.
  16. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I jumped off ship as soon they announced all brass is out of the picture, now waiting to see what sort of reviews the Parthenon razor will have

Str8on2 and DesertTime like this.
  17. Timothy Hayes

Timothy Hayes Member

Just got the latest update from Rockwell on the Model T. They have started shipping and there are a few reviews on reddit. I am pasting in The part about the price increase for anyone curious and who would like to get in before the increase.

Pricing Update

This is the announcement we’ve most been looking forward to making. We really appreciate the patience and support our backers have shown over the past 2 years of this project. Many of you are aware of the challenges we at Rockwell Razors faced bringing the first adjustable twist-to-open in decades to market. We’re extremely proud to be the first company to bring an adjustable twist-to-open razor to market that isn’t a multimillion dollar corporation with an extensive team of full-time engineers and their own production facilities. That being said, it’s come to our attention over the process of manufacturing and assembling the Rockwell Model T that we drastically underestimated the costs required to complete each Model T unit. Of course, we're standing by our backers’ pledges between $79 and $99 for a Model T razor, 100 Rockwell Blades, a Rockwell Blade Safe, and a RockwellLeather Sheath. However, the pre-order price and regular retail price for just the Model T, effective May 1st, will be $195. That means that you, our backers, will be getting $214 of value for just your pledge of between $79 and $99. We can’t think of a better way to say thank you for all your patience, and we hope this helps make the short remaining wait a little more bearable!
    It’s also worth pointing out - if you have any friends who are still waiting to pre-order their Rockwell Model T, they have until April 31 to reserve their razor at the current price at rockwellrazors.com - after that, the price doubles!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

18. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I might sell mine ;)...

Str8on2 and DesertTime like this.
  19. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Well, I think there is some good news. I received my Rockwell Survey confirmation earlier today. It’s just a form that asks for confirmation of your shipping address plus reward claim. You can also add on to your order with optional items that Rockwell offers. Once filled they send you a confirmation page with your choice of finish and your total cost. Still three more steps to go as the bottom of the notice states, but we’re getting closer....... :happy036:

Quick view below:

[​IMG]
    Rockwell Model T Razor & Blades: Shaving Perfected
    Created by Rockwell Razors
    Hi, Augustin Jaime!
    Thank you for updating your pledge!
    This email is your receipt.
    Learn how you can help!
    Join the Community!
    Have questions? Contact Us »
    Shipping Information

Augustin Jaime
    United States of America

Balance

$99.00 Pledge Level $99.00
    Shipping Total $0.00
    Pledge Level $0.00
    Pledged on Indiegogo ($99.00)
    Credit Remaining $0.00

Pledge Summary

$99 REWARD
    Pre-Order Special! - You'll receive 1 Rockwell Model T and 100 Rockwell Blades (good for about 2 years of shaves!) Free US, Canada, and EU shipping. Please see Shipping Chart or FAQ for more info.

Pledge Questions

Choose the finish for your Rockwell Model T!
    White Chrome

What Happens Next?

1. Survey Lockdown
      Your order will be locked down when the project is ready for manufacturing.
    2. Finalize Shipping Addresses
      Your shipping address will be finalized when the project is ready for fulfillment.
    3. Tracking Information
      You will be notified if a tracking number is available for your order.

Anyone else get their backer surveys? This one is not from the original KS Campaign. I ordered through IGG (Indiegogo).

DesertTime and Tdmsu like this.
  20. montieg

montieg Well-Known Member

I am really debating paying the $99 for this before it goes up or get the RR Babysmooth I've been looking at. I know, way different razors but I like the Model T but not at the after May 1 price.