Bar Soap vs Body Wash Showdown

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by Hoss304, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Andrew Siliski

Andrew Siliski New Member

body wash is about 67-75% water. You are literally paying for a more expensive plastic container and a lot of water. An artisan bar soap works wonders.

2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I see Lever in the photo....I used to use Lever all the time as a deodorant soap, but not since they "reformulated" it to lose the deodorant factor.

3. brit

brit in a box

jack black or nivea men body wash. i like the oud and vanilla scented axe soap but not sure of the quality.

Paul Turner likes this.
  4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

For me bath soap is soap. That said I use Ivory also as @AGHisBBS put it so eloquently it works and it's CHEAP also its easy to find at the store. My only complaint is its hard to find the bigger bars. :)

AGHisBBS likes this.
  5. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

With the opportunity to rephrase I'll say that Ivory is frugal. :)

178-bplatoon likes this.
  6. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

Today, for the first time, I used Pre de Province 63 bar soap and I have to say I love the scent but the bar is not that slick. But it’s triple or quad milled which may be why. Anyway, I can tell by its hardness it will last a long time, which is why I bought it.

7. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I previously used Aleppo soap, mainly as a shampoo but in my shower soap rotation too. I think I will start using it more often along with the Nabulus soap I have ordered with a scrubbing mit for a Mediterranean experience :).

8. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

I've always used bar soaps and either a wash cloth or pouf. I did use a body was for a few years some time ago and found it really dried and irritated my skin. I avoid detergent bars as well.

9. Paul Turner

Some bodywashes do keep the skin hydrated...Dial and Nivea have pretty good ones featured for men.

brit likes this.
  10. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

I currently have a goat milk and charcoal bar for my face, a shampoo bar (both from Mystic Waters), and a body soap bar of Taylor of Old Bond Street in the Mr Taylor scent. The latter of recent date. It not only smells wonderful but must be the best bath soap I’ve used. It really feels conditioning, where many other bars feel drying.

Only problem with bars is that it’s a lot cleaner and tidier with bottles around the shower or tub area.

11. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

I wash my face and neck with bar soap and for the rest of my body, I use bath gels. Presently I have Method Men Cedar & Cyprus gel, and NIVEA Men Active Clean Body Wash, Natural Charcoal. For my hair and scalp, I use Nutragena shampoo as I am a psoriasis sufferer.

For soaps and gels, I typically go for something that will help relieve my psoriasis. Nubian Heritage makes an 'African' black soap and shower gel that does wonders for my skin, and my only complaint is that the shower gel only seems to come in one size—13 ounces, which typically retails where I live for at least ten dollars, sometimes eleven depending on where I find it. That's just outrageous. I'd gladly switch to something less expensive and just as effective if not more so.

BUT...I was at Target a while back and saw the Duke Cannon beer soap brick, and bought one to try it out. I haven't opened it yet, and I have a bath bar of Stirling Scots Pine Sheep arriving today so I'll probably use that before going to the D.C. brick. I've also used the Canus brand goat milk soap as it, too, does wonders for my skin. Other soaps and shampoos I've used have included Grandpa's Pine Tar.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  12. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I grew up using Ivory soap, and in a pinch you can shave with it.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS likes this.
  13. Grick

Grick Active Member

Try the Crabtree and Evelyn Sandalwood soap bars. Amazing lather and long lasting scent. A few swirls and you get copious amounts of lather.

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Barbasol body wash, available at finer Dollar Trees and Big Lots everywhere.

AGHisBBS and Paul Turner like this.
  15. Paul Turner

Oh wow.....I'll have to spin by the one near me. I'm sure I'll have better luck(and performance)with their Barbasol bodywash(assuming they do have it)than the Barby razors I bought from there.

AGHisBBS and gorgo2 like this.
  16. Paul Turner

That too was so eloquently put, Agman :)))).

AGHisBBS likes this.
  17. SparrowPoint

SparrowPoint Active Member

I only use bar soap. Head to foot. Have my whole life. No shampoo, washes etc. Makes life simple, generates less trash and saves me money to spend on other stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Found Coast Emerald Burst bars, 2 for $1, smelled nice through the box so decided to give them a try tomorrow.

If you ever read the fragrance notes supposedly in Irish Spring, you'd think it'd smell much nicer than it does.

19. Paul Turner

Right, I remember the jingle.I'd have to try IS again to compare the scent to the "name". I've used it before, but too long ago to recall.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  20. Paul Turner

I use Coast daily(as a deodorant soap, which of course it IS... chuk yuk yuk).

gorgo2 likes this.