April 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 1, 2018.

?

Your plan for Arko Adustable April?

1. Use Arko - DUH!!

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. Use an adjustable razor - DUH!!

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. Eat cookies. Lots and lots of cookies.

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  4. Use a straight razor - maybe with Arko?

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  5. I'll shave whatever way I want, thank you very much Mr. Nosey!

25 vote(s)
    67.6%
  6. Mail some new survey ideas to Cartel HQ - those guys are dragging us down!

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on them!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Drygulch, sdguero, 9nein9 and 5 others like this.
  2. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

April 1st ‘Arko April’
    C6D3025B-00C6-460C-B771-61803BEC2667.jpeg

Drygulch, sdguero, 9nein9 and 17 others like this.
  3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Extra cookies for you.

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk

Drygulch, sdguero, 9nein9 and 9 others like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

thank you .i hope it sticks. i like to use all my stuff.need discipline.

Drygulch, sdguero, 9nein9 and 7 others like this.
  5. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Great photo as usual, Clint! I see you are getting right down to business on your focus of using up as many creams as possible and Nuavia Blu on Sundays. Hope you have a great Easter with your family!

Beautiful photo of some great gear, Mark!

I like your filter effects on your photos, Jim! Sounds like you have room to improve with the MMOC but are starting at a fairly high level of success nonetheless.

That Aristocrat looks to be in great shape. From all the reviews here, the Gillette Nacet blades should treat you very well this month. I have a couple sample tucks of them I have never cracked yet, so I'll be interested to hear your views on them as you go along.

Congratulations on three great shaves in a row. That sort of consistency shows that you are really mastering the basics. I have been bowl loading like you recently because I have been using up small samples of different soaps. Normally, I load from the puck, then move to the bowl to whip the lather. Sometimes I load from the puck then move directly to my face to face lather, but I feel I get more control over the consistency of the lather if I whip it in the bowl first even when loading directly in the tub. All three methods work.

Drygulch, sdguero, 9nein9 and 8 others like this.
  6. Screwtape

Arf! Arf! [Tail wag; tail wag]. Cartel obedience school graduate here...

7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Good to see young and old regulars, plus a couple new faces! Hoping everyone ups their Technique this month. It's entertaining when new shavers make rapid progress and proves out The 30 Day Rule / Focus method. Never a failure if the gear of choice doesn't work out. Just means that particular set up isn't meant for you.

Quite a while back I received a PIF sample of Stirling Mountain Man soap. Used it couple times but it wasn't enough to single it out as an outstanding lather. This month I will work in an Arko lather or two, but it's going to be Stirling for the most part.
    Focus 04 2018 Stirling soap samples.gif
    I've got another OS mug for one more sample, and a couple empty plastic containers for the others. That will let me fine tune making lather and give time to asses scents. Already know I like Glastonbury. Piacenza is good. The others will get their turns and that may take me into May or June.

Adjustables for the month? Fat Boy & Ming Shi are easy choices. I've got a prototype OC Injector with three settings that doesn't get much face time. Since I tend to shave every other day that's about a months rotation / variation right there.

Drygulch, sdguero, 9nein9 and 14 others like this.
  8. Screwtape

The Little Lily? Seriously? I really hope that's an April Fool's joke, Jason, because if not you need to check your calendar a little more closely -- MayHEM is next month, but the Sayuri doesn't really qualify for it because it can't cut butter so there's no risk attached to it, except for a non-existent shave...

Drygulch, sdguero, 9nein9 and 12 others like this.
  9. Screwtape

Sounds like you have a great month ahead of you, RyX. I'm starting to think that when my NB'18 is up, I may need to invest in some Stirling soaps. I only have one -- their unscented version, Naked and Smooth. This thread recently is making me feel distinctly underequipped...

Drygulch, sdguero, 9nein9 and 10 others like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Jason... is this an April Fools joke?

11. Screwtape

Sunday April 1 - Easter Sunday / April Fool's shave

Schick Krona / Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (5?)
    Jason's non-30DC Cypress Badger brush
    The Dry Dock shave bowl
    B&M Glissant(?) Bay Rum soap sample
    Alum and Jeeves of Hudson Street Bay Rum splash

I enjoyed a "no fooling" great shave today. The badger brush whipped up a fantastic lather from the Bay Rum chunk I had smeared inside my shave bowl. When well hydrated, this soap is very slick, very protective, and has great face feel. After 2 1/2 passes to a BBS, I concluded that my earlier dislike of the Krona was either due solely to aesthetic dislike of all the plastic in the razor or else due to the fact I previously used it with the rather harsh Topaz Platinum blades. With the worn-in 7 O'Clock blade in it, the razor delivered a smooth clean shave. No squawk at all from the alum. And the Jeeves splash complemented the B&M soap perfectly.

Clean, closely shaved, and refreshed, I am ready to face what is for me a very long regular work day...

Drygulch, sdguero, 9nein9 and 13 others like this.
  12. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks John!
    I started out face lathering and once I started bowl lathering I found that to be my preferred method. I know my next shave I'll use about half the amount I used today. Better too much than too little but it's a shame washing all that extra lather down the drain.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Drygulch, sdguero, 9nein9 and 7 others like this.
  13. jtspartan

Awesome Wolfman! Enjoy Easter with your mother, Clint!
    Awesome Wolfman, part deux!
    Sounds like a great focus, Jim!
    I think you will enjoy the Nacets. They work very well in every razor for me, Gary.
    Great B&W pic!

Drygulch, sdguero, 9nein9 and 9 others like this.
  14. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

You plan to shave with that, or make a peanut butter sandwich?

15. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks Jason! You guys take such great pictures I'm just trying to keep up!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Drygulch, sdguero, 9nein9 and 6 others like this.
  16. jtspartan

I’m In for April.
    I’ll use Arko for a chunk of the days, but not all month. I’ll focus on some other shave sticks as well- Tabac and Palmolive. I’ll use my two SAs (long and short handled) this month, but again, not all month. I’ve neglected my OTs, so I think I’ll use those as well. I have a bunch of random blade tucks that haven’t been used much (or at all), so I’ll focus on those too.

17. jtspartan

Worst.Shaver.Ever.
    Sorry, I meant for this to be pretty obvious, but I guess a bunch of folks weren’t on here last May for the Sayuri Show.
    The AV was for Patrick @9nein9
    The peanut butter had better be smooth, because I don’t like the Sayuri’s chances if it is crunchy.

18. jtspartan

Some awesome Stirlings there, Rick! Haven’t tried them all, but the Gentleman is pure awesomeness.
    I’ll send you some Stirling chucks in a bit, John. Hopefully the variety will keep you on your NB!

19. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I’ve completed my brush rotation a bunch of times.

Drygulch, sdguero, 9nein9 and 11 others like this.
  20. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

How do you load the Tabac with that behemoth?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.