Early Synthetic Brushes

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by rmcintyre84, Apr 3, 2018.

1. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

I found this the other day, but didn't buy it.
    2018-04-03 08.25.20.jpg
    Had anyone used one of these early gen synthetic brushes, made essentially from fishing line? How well do they work? This is a Rubberset or Ever-Ready.

RyX, Jim99 and Enrico like this.
  2. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

They aren't all that bad, but the straight bristles don't hold as much water or lather as the squiggly bristles of the newer ones. I replaced the knot in one that my son has with a new one and it's much nicer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AGHisBBS, RyX, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  3. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Look at the experienced ones. Many of the better early synthetics did use a squiggly bristle. But even the straight ones work well.

TobyC, Jim99 and Enrico like this.
  4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

They usually felt a bit strange to me, but many have nice handles for restorations.

Before
    s-l1600-12.jpg

After (not my best work)
    IMG_0716.JPG

TobyC, RyX, john zeiger and 2 others like this.
  5. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Very! nice work Enrico!!

Enrico likes this.
  6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

They are awful and uncomfortable....

I had one and replaced the knot. It is a fantastic little brush.

Before
    300n1.jpg

After
    chubbs2.jpg

Frijolero, TobyC, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Thank you, I was surprised by it's lack of size ... I had to bore it out to accept a 18mm badger. :rofl:

Frijolero likes this.
  8. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

I had a synthetic many years ago. It did not hold water worth a hoot. It was decent for face lathering, but too spineless to build a decent lather in a bowl without quite a bit of effort. I only stuck with it due to some bad experiences with very cheap natural brushes, and did not bother too educate myself regarding high quality alternatives. As mediocre as that brush was, it was always better than goop sprayed from a can.

RyX and Enrico like this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

BTW this brush is a Century Plastiset brush. Century being the brand name and Plastiset being the material it was made. Like the one @rmcintyre84 is showing, the Rubberset and other manufacturers have Plastiset written on them.

10. nav

nav Well-Known Member

I wouldn't classify it as vintage but the muhle/EJ silvertip fibre - version 1 is still one of my all time favorites synthetic fibre!
    I have it in the M, L and XL.
    I also have the v2 in L but it can't conjugate to the v1 at all!

Eeyore likes this.
  11. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Many years ago I tried a synthetic Omega (with the white fibres). It was crap.

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.