All About Blades........ Not!

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Edison Carter, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Greetings my friends:

I gratefully learned to shave on the sound principles generally espoused here at TSD.

Before I undertook a 30 day rule, I confess that I played with my gadgetry to find stuff I wanted to use for a month straight.

When it came to blades, I really wanted to use Astra because of their generally good reputation. Unfortunately I just couldn't find a comfort level for me. I chalked it up to my inexperience and moved into 30Day with Feather.

When I started testing blades, I found that I liked everything BUT Astras. Wierd huh. I could successfully use Derbys, Feathers, and everything else I had, but I just didn't like Astras. Not bad, but inconsistent feel, use, and result.

I chose to get one of those Focus Dynamic 1/2 DE Single Edge Razors because of the reports of the really close, comfortable result it can deliver. 1st up Feather - great, 2nd up Derby - good results, 3rd up Sharks - good results, 4th up GSB - great, 5th up Astras, kinda rough (like a dirt road.... gets you there, but you know you've been on it).

The beauty of this tool is that if loaded and used correctly, it is idiot proof. It always shaves at the proper angle. THEN, when I loaded up the second half of the snapped Astra, I could hardly believe it was the same blade. It was great!

Well just goes to show how futile evaluating DE blades are if you don't track which edge you are using. Leaves a 50-50 chance.

My only regret is that it was the last blade in the tuck, so I couldn't repeat to confirm my conclusion.
    One bad edge!

Well wishes.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    john zeiger, wristwatchb, RyX and 3 others like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Angling has always been the trickiest part for me. But first I need to restore my 65-Slim..get it cleaned to perfection.

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've had a few razors that don't play nice with Astra SP's. Chances are, it's the razor, not the blade. Vowkhod is a blade I don't usually care for, but it works well in those razors that I don't like Astra's in. *Shrug*

Just goes to show that there are a number of factors at play here.

Jim99, Edison Carter and gorgo2 like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Wow, that is pretty unusual. Been years since I used Astras (can't recall which exact one...regular stainless I think?) but as I recall, they were a pretty good baseline for the desired smooth/sharp combo. A blade I could easily live with if I had to.

The Bluebirds I waited years to reobtain are not as smooth as I recall from years ago. I've used three of the new pack and they've got the scrapey platinum harshness I dislike. Had I known, probably would have gotten an Astra.

Anyone suggest an alternative to cork? I don't have any cork but should something like that before complaining more.

Jim99 and Edison Carter like this.
  5. Edison Carter

I do not have a huge corral of razors and tested both (Parker Variant, EJDE89). Mysteriously, this tuck of Astras gave a consistently inconsistent result. Really great, then not so great. I kept making adjustments to technique to try and figure it out. Had me like a dog chasing his tail.

I've got another tuck from a separate acquisition binge that I'm anxious to try again in all my tools.

I'm pretty sure ONE SIDE of the blades in that tuck were duds.

Jim99 and Screwtape like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Anything will work to take the edge off, really. You can strop the blade on denim or your hand, run the edge over neoprene, memory foam, or folded newsprint to get the same "corking" effect.

RyX, gorgo2 and Edison Carter like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I'm thinking a balsa wood dowel would be just right...if they make them. Soft enough not to dull the edge when dragged lightly, hard enough to knock off microscopic burrs, and it should last indefinitely. Or an old leather shoe.

Edison Carter likes this.
  8. Edison Carter

Sometimes knife sharpeners use a felt block to deburr. I don't strop or cork DE blades, but I do strop my kitchen knives.

gorgo2 likes this.
  9. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Its funny how blades are such a personal thing - the epitome of YMMV. I really like Astra SP's, Voskhod, Personna Reds and many more. I don't get along well with Sharks and Feathers are too sharp for me. Nice thread and just keeps reminding me that blades are so YMMV.

10. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I use a wine bottle cork - it works well.

11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Wonder if a liquor store would give me one.

12. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

Never been a great fan of Astras. I haven't experienced roughness, but haven't felt them to be particularly efficient, especially in milder razors and can't figure out why everyone raves about them. Did a 30 day focus with them last year which ended with me disliking then even more.

Now you are tempting me to dig to the bottoms of my 100 box to see if it is a quality control issue.

But really shouldn't we expect both sides of the blade to be consistent?

Edison Carter and gorgo2 like this.
  13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

I tend to have a fair few old wine corks, I don't know where they come from , nothing to do with my profile pic and love of said wine...nothing at all :git:

Edison Carter and gorgo2 like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

i like and have good results from astra sp, gsb ,voskhod ,gillette platinum and now nacet.great shaves in my vintage gillettes. gillette yellows go dull quickly for me,derby drags and pulls and personna platinums don t feel very smooth. no rhyme or reason i guess.

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

I've only tried two as only been at this DE thing a couple of months. Astra which have been awesome, Wilkinson Sword which have not. I do have some Feathers in the post but I don't know that I can get better shave than I have with the Astras...maybe I just got lucky with the first brand I tried.