Buying To Start My Vintage DE Razor Collection ?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Django, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Django

Django Member

Hi, I'm new to DE shaving but would like to start collecting and would appreciate you thought on these items.
    Any info would be great.
    Thanks .
    Django
    "VINTAGE POCKET RAZOR"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That has an Old Type head. They can be aggressive, but they can be tamed by riding the cap. That is one I do not have now. I would love to have one though. They are hard to find, at least for me. Silver plated.

RyX, brit and Django like this.
  3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Good start. :happy088:

Django likes this.
  4. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

You have a great example of an "ABC" Pocket Edition from somewhere around (1908). I have one, but my case is not as nice as yours in either condition nor embellishment. Gillette made these for the American Button Company. Lots of great information here:
    https://www.badgerandblade.com/foru...y-pocket-edition-sets-part-one-razors.147111/
    Awesome find! Congratulations!

Edit: I'm sorry I had it backwards. The American Button Company was contracted by Gillette to produce these razors. But, they shine up like the Dickens with a good metal polish.
    Before
    _DSC7643 (1).jpg
    After
    _D800101.jpg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    RyX, Jim99, Django and 1 other person like this.
  5. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I've sen a couple of great threads on the ABC sets over on another site.

As I understand it, Gillette made the razor heads and contracted ABC for the cases and handles. When thew contract ended, Gillette took over production themselves.

The ABC cases, at least the early ones had a snap lock rather than the push button catch. As I understand it, you can tell who made it by whether it has the patent info on the bottom (vs. a plain bottom). The ABC ones have the patent info, the Gillette ones don't.

Experts- feel free to correct me.

RyX, Herm2502, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@Django That looks like an interesting piece for a collector. Is your plan to use your collectibles or just display them?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  7. Django

Django Member

My plant is to watered and enjoyed but i will use my razors , not so sure about the ancient beasts though, they look scary!!

RyX likes this.
  8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Glad to know your plant will be watered. I will look forward to seeing your collection as it grows.

9. brit

brit in a box

there is a # 503 for sale on the bay at present time .flowers on the case.looks all there.

Django likes this.
  10. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Are you looking to "collect," or are you looking to get useable razors that will help you achieve a great shave?

Django likes this.
  11. Django

Django Member

Both really, but some of the early contraptions look a bit scary!

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Not scary at all. They shave great. Just have to take the time to learn the techniques involved. Good luck on you collection hunting!!!

Jayaruh and RyX like this.
  13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Yeay, what Fuzzy said. A lot of razors look scary, but good technique trumps looks.

wchnu likes this.
  14. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

A scary razor is the first use of a straight razor. Everything else is child’s play!
    :p

wchnu likes this.
  15. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

:happy097:

Django likes this.
  16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

AMEN button needed here!!!

Django likes this.
  17. Django

Django Member

This will throw people since Sara edited her post from "plant" to "plan":)