Sterilizing of razors

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Michlesteve, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Michlesteve

Michlesteve New Member

Hi all,
    How should Cartridge Razors be sterilized?

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I would think they are sterile out of the pack. If not toss them into a lit fireplace

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    brit, AGHisBBS, TobyC and 4 others like this.
  3. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Microwave on high for six hours.

brit and PickledNorthern like this.
  4. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Do you sterilize your toothbrush? How about forks and spoons?

You got more cooties from the last person you kissed than you ever will from a razor.

5. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Well, no-one other than me has ever used my toothbrushes, and while forks and spoons have gone through my dishwasher, I think there is very little chance that they have ever had some person that I don't know's blood on them.

The correct answer is that razors, and other things can only be sterilized with an autoclave which uses high pressure steam at about 275°F. Unfortunately they cost at least a couple of grand.

What many people use is a hospital grade, EPA approved, broad spectrum disinfectant to sanitize items. Barbicide is the salon/barber shop/manicurist industry standard and is available as a concentrate for about $12 for a pint container that will last quite a long time. A 10 minute soak is recommended.

6. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

You'll probably continue to get snarky remarks unless you provide a little more detail on what you are trying to do. If you are talking about the handle of a cartridge razor, then scrub with dish soap in warm water and it should be fine. If you are talking about cartridges themselves, well they should already be sterile and ready to use.

Michlesteve and Linuxguile like this.
  7. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Also a 10 minute soak in 91% isopropyl alcohol will do the job.

8. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Everyone has a different comfort level. I'm an admitted germophobe. I sanitize vintage razors by removing the visible crud with a tooth brush and Scrubbing Bubbles, dropping them in my heated ultrasonic cleaner to clean out the nooks and crannies, and then following up with a 10-minute Barbicide soak.

I found this information to be handy: https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Safety_razor_maintenance

Everyone stay away from @TobyC ... he has cooties. :happy102:

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Bill Clinton for you on line 2. He sounds worried.

TobyC and kfbrady like this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

New: no need.

Used: you wouldn't use a used cartridge, right?

PickledNorthern and TobyC like this.
  11. kfbrady

I wouldn't exactly call myself a germophobe but I did have a career in risk management!

I do pretty much the same as you do although I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner - maybe I should get one? :ashamed001:

I do a 15-20 minute soak in a dish soap solution, the scrubbing bubbles and old toothbrush thing, a rub with some metal polish and then the Barbicide soak.

wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  12. kfbrady

Good point!

TobyC and gorgo2 like this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Well then, there you go!

I've never believed in sanitizing my own razors, either DEs, SEs, injectors or cartridges. If they're metal, they go through the dishwasher when I get them (always used), and they're good to go. New plastic carts? Good to go. Tried sanitizing a few times but figured what's the point and I ain't dead yet.

Swishing them in 91% alcohol to remove water/prolong blade life is another matter.

14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I eat at Chinese restaurants too.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

15. kfbrady

And I like raw oysters.

16. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

:happy088:

I wouldn't suggest getting an ultrasonic cleaner for razors. If you need one for cleaning other things, though, this model has given me good service.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-63256.html

kfbrady likes this.
  17. kfbrady

Thanks. That one looks pretty good.

I bet it would also do a good job on a pair of gummed up motorcycle carbs I have!

wristwatchb likes this.
  18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011:

19. kfbrady

Agreed.

Bleach or hydrogen peroxide also do a good job.

20. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Sure do! :shocked003:

You do too my friend, the dirtiest part of a human is the mouth. :shocked002:

wristwatchb likes this.