Looking at purchasing a Subaru ... any thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Enrico, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Hardly sold here, considerable depreciation, not too many dealerships ... but probably different in the various overseas markets.

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

2. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Make sure you get one made after 2008. My 2001 Outback went through 4 head gaskets the last 7 or so years I had it. My wife’s went through 2. We’ll never buy Subaru again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

That would be an understatement. Subaru has in recent years been at the top in the US in terms of retaining its value.

"Based on analysis of Kelley Blue Book’s 5-Year Cost to Own information for 2017 model-year new vehicles, Subaru’s overall vehicle lineup incurred less depreciation than any other automaker".

Subaru won the KBB award in 2015 as well.

In percentage terms Subarus depreciation over five years is less than Mercedes E class in one year.

The three year depreciation award ALG (TrueCar) gives was this year pretty much swept by Subaru:

"Subaru of America Inc. announced today that it has been honored for the sixth time with the “Top Mainstream Brand” Residual Value Award from ALG, the analytics division of TrueCar Inc. (NASDAQ: TRUE) and the industry benchmark for projecting future vehicle values and depreciation data. This year, Subaru earned a total of six ALG awards, with five models topping their respective segments.

Subaru Impreza – Best Compact Car

Subaru WRX – Best Sports Car

Subaru Forester – Best Compact Utility Vehicle

Subaru Crosstrek – Best Subcompact Utility Vehicle

Subaru Outback – Best Midsize Utility Vehicle – 2 Row"

Among the 10 cars with the least depreciation in Australia, three are Subarus.

In Canada, the Crosstrek is rated the number one compact car in terms of five year depreciation.

In Singapore a Subaru Impreza is listed as cheapest car to own based on depreciation.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    Enrico likes this.
  4. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I'm in Europe.

--

5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I got that.

6. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

The Legacy is not popular at all here (Germany & Netherlands). Last year they sold 7000 of them in the whole of Europe. It would surprise me if they sold more than 1000 in Germany and the Netherlands combined.

The most popular model is the Forester. Followed by the sports cars probably. And compared to e.g. Toyota or Honda, I don't feel that most Subaru models keep their value well here.

Edit: oh, the latest version of the Legacy is not even offered here anymore. Probably because the model didn't sell.

--

7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

From what I know about Subarus is they last a very long time, a friend has on and it's never let him down.

Enrico and PickledNorthern like this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Just curious, do you have a retail price for any of them new in the Netherlands? I know in the UK a Forester starts at around $38k vs $23k in the US.

We have had one sales outlet in Cambodia but Cambodia's import taxes mean a greater than 100% mark up over US prices. There are no used Subarus. People who have that kind of money choose a used Range Rover or Lexus even though most are crash rebuilds ("face" matters a lot in SE Asia and RR/Lexus have big face). I never saw one on the road. Zero parts network because of the lack of history in the country doesn't help.

9. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Prices here are not really comparable; we have to pay VAT plus a registration tax on top of the base price. Besides, trim levels vary between EU-countries.

But the basic 2.0L four cylinder Forester starts at US $50,000 here. A large part of that is taxes. Cars are expensive in the Netherlands.

Edit: to be precisely:

Subaru Forester 2.0i comfort awd lineartronic 150kW cvt aut 47,535.55USD

--

10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Where I was going with that question is how pricing compares with brands like Toyota which have manufacturing facilities in the EU.

11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Wow.

12. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

My advice is: dont. Subarus have horrible quality ratings right now. A friend of mine bought a new Impreza a couple years ago and he blew the motor up twice in a year. He traded it for a Nissan Z and hasnt had any problems with it yet
    FWIW, I love Subaru but I wouldnt buy one until they get their quality issues sorted out.

Enrico likes this.
  13. SFTrooper

SFTrooper Active Member

My wife almost bought a Legacy, but eventually went for the Honda Accord. My wife is very picky when it comes to cars and Subaru didn't have the color she wanted with all the correct options. I've heard they are nice cars.

14. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

I’ve owned about six Subaru’s. My last one I had for eleven years. 2005 legacy GT. Was a phenomenal car. Subaru’s awd is world class.

They are hard on tires, as any awd vehicle is. Also the tires need to be matched, to protect the diffs. Most first time buyers don’t know this.

Since Toyota bought out GM’s shares, the quirkiness that was what made a Subaru feel different haas subsided.

I’m not a fan of cvt or di without a proven track record, so I didn’t return to Subaru for last purchase. Both of those have been in service for several years now. If you work on your own cars, Subaru engineers ‘get it right’, not just the cheapest way to solve a problem. Toyota’s bean counters have taken some toll on that.

For me, the lack of a FI flat-four or the choice of a flat six to auto trans cut me out. They are much more mainstream in the choices, usdm at least. I need more room than the wrx hatch. And the attention that comes with the wrx is a bit much for me at ~45.

I’d consider a crosstrax (?) for my significant other when she moves to her next car. She’s a truck girl, so it would be an outside chance of selling her on it.

Awd rules. And Subaru’s is one of the best. Fwd based awd is just hype. everyone I know with later model Subaru seems very happy with them. Repairs and parts are not really that bad. Most subjie populated areas will have an Indy shop that specializes is them. That’s where I’d start getting opinions if it’s available to you.

Enrico likes this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

the awd is one of the best around .08 or older is good if the head gaskets have been upgraded.lots here on the wet coast,they hold their value well. usual repairs like most other cars but good value if its maintained well. opt for non turbo for a daily driver ,less maintenance longer life.

Enrico likes this.
  16. emkeane

emkeane Member

We have bought three of them excellent vehicles. Good for all weather. Dashboard not as fancy as some other brands, but a vehicle I am very comfortable having my family drive-in.

Eamonn M. Keane

Enrico likes this.
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Over the weekend My wife and I looked at a Legacy and a Forester; I must agree the dash is not fancy, but that's ok. We've narrowed it down to the Forester ... the Legacy sat lower than I wanted. I saw a Honda Ridgeline that I would have snagged, but it was sold all ready.

Primotenore and jmudrick like this.
  18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

What year(s) you considering?

19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

12, 13, 14

jmudrick likes this.
  20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Well, we just pick up a 2011 Subaru Outback ...
    2011-Subaru-Outback-3.6R-Premium.jpg