April 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 1, 2018.

?

Your plan for Arko Adustable April?

1. Use Arko - DUH!!

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. Use an adjustable razor - DUH!!

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. Eat cookies. Lots and lots of cookies.

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  4. Use a straight razor - maybe with Arko?

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  5. I'll shave whatever way I want, thank you very much Mr. Nosey!

25 vote(s)
    67.6%
  6. Mail some new survey ideas to Cartel HQ - those guys are dragging us down!

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

93AF9D93-8274-4B22-B18A-64C047459E55.jpeg

April 24 SOTD:

Razor: Karve Christopher Bradley
    Blade: Rapira Swedish Super Steel
    Brush: Simpsons CH-2
    Lather: Jeeves of Hudson St Bay Rum
    Aftershave: Two Girls Florida Water
    Additional Care:
    Stirling Unscented PSB

MR41, NCoxSTL, sdguero and 12 others like this.
  2. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Another nice photo with an interesting filter effect.

sdguero, Norcalnewb, RyX and 6 others like this.
  3. Screwtape

Thanks, Jared. Now this is the sort of HELPFUL comment I really need to read right now... :)

4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

April 24, 2018
    OneBlade Genesis V2
    Feather FHS
    “Rowl” Shavemac D01 2 Band
    AOS Peppermint Shave Cream

[​IMG]

I am happy to be back home this morning even if it means a workday. The big flat top is a lather making machine and whipped up the AOS into a rich slick lather. Three passes and touch ups left me just short of catching the baby. A splash of Fine Lavender and I am ready for the day. I hope everyone has a great Tuesday.

MR41, NCoxSTL, jtspartan and 14 others like this.
  5. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Excellent picture Clint!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

sdguero, Norcalnewb, RyX and 5 others like this.
  6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you :happy088:

sdguero, Norcalnewb, RyX and 5 others like this.
  7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I did manage to read through the thread and catch up from the weekend away. Great pictures and shave reports as always. Congrats to those with the shiny new gear. Looking forward to the upcoming reviews.

sdguero, Norcalnewb, RyX and 8 others like this.
  8. GawainandtheGreenKnight

GawainandtheGreenKnight Well-Known Member

Every stroke, even on the neck....I will have to try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. GawainandtheGreenKnight

GawainandtheGreenKnight Well-Known Member

The first blade I ever used was a Dorco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wchnu, sdguero, Norcalnewb and 8 others like this.
  10. Screwtape

And we're back to normal with Clint's usual excellent "at home" photo of great shave gear...

11. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

When did we start manufacturing stuff here in Canada again? Even my Rockwell was made abroad .

Do i have to write you another letter from your brushes too ? Cause i will .lol

That Fuzzy guy enabled me a few times before .....we got to keep him !

Bully!!!

Send it to Fuzzy. He likes the rose scented soap! Just slap a williams sticker on the container .

sdguero, Norcalnewb, RyX and 10 others like this.
  12. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

OK, it’s official. There is no more room in my shaving cabinet for soap. To add another soap to my den I literally have to get rid of another one in order to make room. This should be interesting. That’s as close to a NB as I get, but proves I’m not a soap hoarder... Maybe... If I can do it.

Also, I just ended up with a pack of Crystal blades from Israel. Anybody ever heard of or used them before?

13. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SOTD April 24, 2018

Prep: Cold water and Stirling mentholated pre-shave soap
    Blade: Personna
    Razor: Personna injector
    Brush: Zenith B02 boar
    Soap: Jeeves of Hudson Street Bay Rum
    Post: Witch hazel, Jeeves of Hudson Street Tobacco Bay Leaf aftershave

Easy and comfortable shave with Jeeves software and the Personna injector. Really enjoyable all around. I'll continue to work away at the Jeeves soap just as many of you are doing. It's great stuff.

Another long day at work with a practice after school followed by our banquet tonight. Then I have to finish packing and will fly to Orlando tomorrow morning ahead of our middle school band as they travel to spend a few days at Universal Studios. Some allergies are deciding to kick in and I'm hoping and praying I don't end up with a full blown cold!

Have a great day!

SOTD 4-24-18.JPG

MR41, NCoxSTL, jtspartan and 15 others like this.
  14. Screwtape

Tuesday April 24 - glycerin preshave part 4 "For Science"
    IMG_00000230.jpg
    Generic glycerin
    Supply Co V.2 SE injector on two - dot plate / Personna ( 10)
    Dr. Bronner's Magic Organic Shaving Gel - Lavender (brushless tube)
    Alum and TSD Milk Aftershave Lavender

If you are assuming "for science" is shorthand for"crappy shave" - you're right. Short version: if you see a tube of Dr. Bronner's Magic Organic Shaving Gel in your drugstore and wonder if you should buy it -- DON'T! Not even preshave glycerin could help this stuff.

I rubbed glycerin on half my face after a thorough rinse. Then I followed directions and massaged the gel into my face, starting with the bare side so there would be no glycerin contamination. Then I did my first pass.

Ouch! No blood but I swear I felt the blade before, during and after cutting every whisker -- on BOTH sides equally. The glycerin made no difference.

For the second pass, I re-gelled but this time I ignored the directions. Instead of massaging gel INTO my face, I soused a dripping palmful of it ONTO my face so that liquid gel was practically dripping off. The second pass was much smoother - almost pleasant in fact.

Surprisingly the alum was only mildly warm. The milk aftershave has given me a good postshave feel.

So once again, I cannot say that the preshave glycerin helped my shave a great deal. I can definitely say, though, that Dr. Bronner's Magic Organic Shaving Gel has once again done a magic vanishing act back into my handsoap bucket -- and may ultimately travel the full distance to the garbage can...

Edit:. After careful consideration, balancing my dislike of waste against my dislike of Dr. Bronner's Magic Organic Shaving Gel, this has just become the third shaving product I have ever thrown in the garbage. (The first was Burt's Bees equally wretched brushless shaving stuff, and the second was some hopeless homemade soap I got somewhere.)

Question for Adam @Drygulch -- does it count as finishing off a tube of shave product if you conclude it's awful and bin the 7/8 remaining? It is gone, finished, deceased, no more to be seen in this world, vanished, departed and troubling us no more after all...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    MR41, NCoxSTL, jtspartan and 14 others like this.
  15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

If I remember correctly, Williams once made both Rose and Menthol pucks of soap.

I enjoy rose scents, but generally have a reaction to them.

Right now I have a tube (minus 2 shaves) of Trumpers and an unopened puck of Stirling Rose that won't be seeing use.

sdguero, Norcalnewb, RyX and 10 others like this.
  16. Screwtape

Yes, Crystal is one of the house names for the blades Personna makes in its Israeli factory for distribution to store chains. There were blades that Personna made there that also came in a red Personna box and were usually called Red Personnas, and others that were often sold in bulk boxes and commonly known as Israeli Personnas or IPs. I can't remember now which one of those the Crystal branded ones were (Personna brand labels get very complicated and confusing). It doesn't much matter though because both are excellent.

NCoxSTL, jtspartan, sdguero and 11 others like this.
  17. Screwtape

I hope you enjoy the banquet today, have a safe flight tomorrow, and you and the kids have a great trip!

By the way, great photo and shave report!

18. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Thanks, John!

19. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Thanks John. Good news. I wondered if they might be Personnas since I had not heard of any other blades coming out of Israel. To this point, almost all my blades have come from PIFs/gifts and promotional sales add-ons. Although I do lean a bit towards Russian steel, with good technique I still think most of them are pretty interchangeable.

20. montieg

montieg Well-Known Member

SOTD Take 3
    Razor - Merkur Progress (setting 2)
    Blade - Astra Superior Platinum
    Brush - 24 mm Fendrihan black and white synthetic
    Shave soap - Fendrihan Sandalwood and Lavender
    After Shave - Stirling Soap Co. Iced Pineapple Shave Balm
    Osma Alum Block

Today was a great improvement from my first two wet shaves. The lessons learned were - less pressure, less pressure followed by less pressure; the grain on my neck is not what I thought so I was shaving ATG instead of with it; alum block is a thousand times better than trying to use a styptic stick; a good aftershave with witch hazel is a wonderful thing.

I can't wait for some of my goodies to finally arrive (RR Game Changer; Blackbird, Shavemac MB2, Chubby 2 Super) but for now I want to continue working on my form.[​IMG]

Cheers
    Montie

MR41, NCoxSTL, jtspartan and 13 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.