April 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 1, 2018.

?

Your plan for Arko Adustable April?

1. Use Arko - DUH!!

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. Use an adjustable razor - DUH!!

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. Eat cookies. Lots and lots of cookies.

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  4. Use a straight razor - maybe with Arko?

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  5. I'll shave whatever way I want, thank you very much Mr. Nosey!

25 vote(s)
    67.6%
  6. Mail some new survey ideas to Cartel HQ - those guys are dragging us down!

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Feel free to bloom all the goo you want!!

Gawd..... impressive shavette fu.

@PanChango sorry the rose does not agree with you. I am sure I saw a box of rose Williams once. I have not been able to find it since. I am going to make some soon.

PLAla, sdguero, Linuxguile and 10 others like this.
  2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Inexpensive, lasts forever, can use as a stick or smash/grate it into mugs, other dispensers and - yes - it does nothing but produce consistently high quality lather. That's why it gets an entire month for a theme here. As I have collected more soaps than I ever thought I would (again, enablers - danger warning) and as I have expressed my love of some of them, when I return to Arko I always argue with myself why I don't just give the rest away and stick with Arko.

PLAla, jtspartan, sdguero and 10 others like this.
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

@Linuxguile the E3 I picked up from your store is a great shaver. Love the blades too. Broke out a homemade VDH stick and fired off a great pre-work shave. Really nice.

[​IMG]

MR41, PLAla, jtspartan and 13 others like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Just a thought - stretch the other way? If you were pulling up, try down, or vice-versa.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

PLAla, montieg, sdguero and 9 others like this.
  5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

:signs011:

PLAla, sdguero, Linuxguile and 6 others like this.
  6. GawainandtheGreenKnight

GawainandtheGreenKnight Well-Known Member

That's a great idea, I'm going to give that try tomorrow. Tonight, in out of complete frustration, I grabbed the trusty old super speed, and just cleaned it up as best I could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PLAla, jtspartan, sdguero and 10 others like this.
  7. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Joris Palladium-plated razor with Olivewood handle
    Feather
    30DC brush
    Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars soap
    RazoRock Puros aftershave

We won't talk about what kind of day this has been. But the shave rocked. So there's that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PLAla, RyX, jtspartan and 10 others like this.
  8. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Why me?

:scared003:

PLAla, RyX, sdguero and 8 others like this.
  9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:happy088: I second the motion.

PLAla, RyX, sdguero and 5 others like this.
  10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Wednesday shave:

This puck AoS tallow is on the rope and it is fighting back in a very underhanded way. Now that I am near the end today was the second time I struggled with lather. As you can see it is getting close to going down.

Irritation A+ Closeness A Smoothness A++ Sharpness A+

Razor: PRC Chimera
    Strop:
    Brush: Whipped Dog silver tip
    Pre: Nivea
    Soap: AoS tallow
    AS: Speick AS, Edwin Jagger ASB
    Scent: Penhaligon’s Hammam Bouquet
    IMG_4785.jpg

IMG_4787.jpg

MR41, PLAla, RyX and 11 others like this.
  11. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Jason!

PLAla, Linuxguile, sdguero and 3 others like this.
  12. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Hmmm. I am having the exact opposite experience with this razor. It feels as natural as any razor I own and is very efficient. Riding the cap makes this razor dance. I wouldn't give up on it just yet.

PLAla, RyX, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

I like those three and no mistake. The biggest element I always pushed to students is do Su (or Shu) diligently and learn , don't rush to get to the other bits. Patience and time learning makes all the difference. The "Zen Shave" or at least the quest remains my mission. :)

PLAla, Keithmax, RyX and 8 others like this.
  14. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

And in the meantime, at least you can flaunt those $15 Joris razors in front of us all, right?

PLAla, SharptoothC, RyX and 10 others like this.
  15. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Cause we like you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PLAla, RyX, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  16. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I would offer to take that horrible Karve razor off your hands cheap except:
    (1) I am on a No Buy '18, and
    (2) I wouldn't take advantage of another 30DCer that way anyway: if you give it another month of Focus or Rule shaves here, you will find yourself looking back and wondering what the fuss was about -- and kicking yourself up and down the site if you've dumped that razor in the meantime.

You may want to go back to that SuperSpeed you now seem confident with and shave with it for a week or two, really concentrating on riding the cap, no pressure, and skin stretching. Then, when your confidence is rebuilt and your skin has had time to recover from any irritation, go back to the Karve. I think you have both B and C plates? Stay with the milder B plate for a couple weeks or a full month, get really solid with it, and only then bump back up to C. I expect your experience will be totally different then.

PLAla, RyX, Keithmax and 10 others like this.
  17. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

If it were me, I would put the razor in a drawer, or a stand or whatever, for six months and try it again then. Or even two months. Stick to the 6S for know. I know it seems boring, but this is a technique issue. You were upset with the Rockwell a week or two ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RyX, Keithmax, KenH and 11 others like this.
  18. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I don't even see many mentions of it either. I enjoyed Walter's Rose (Prairie Creations version of Williams), but sadly she stopped making soap a few years ago.

If you would like this puck of stirling Rose, Fuzzy shoot me a pm with your address and I will send it your way.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    PLAla, RyX, Keithmax and 9 others like this.
  19. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Ditto on that idea. Shaving is all about proper technque . 30 days using all the same gear will master the technique and you will able to get a great shave with any razor. I'm someone who has little to no patience but made it through a month of working on proper angle , skin stretching, mapping the grain. Some razors are made different but all razors require proper technique to use them . Thats the best advice i can give as these guys did to me when i was new . Never be afraid to ask cause these guys are here to help. Good luck my friend .

PLAla, RyX, Keithmax and 9 others like this.
  20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PLAla, jtspartan, Norcalnewb and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.