Reviews of 85+ Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by BaylorGator, Sep 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

My bad. I'm getting another box in a couple of weeks. Should be another 5 to 7 reviews coming from it. Also had a few folks send me some stuff to try out, so we're not done yet!

RyX and Paul Turner like this.
  2. BaylorGator

Box #4 has arrived, so today I lathered up La Pere Lucien vs Storybook Soapworks - Visions and Revisions. Despite being very different, both of these are really good soaps. The Storybook Soapworks lathered up nicely providing a good overall shave, not really standing out to me in any particular area, but also not lacking in any either. The Pere Lucien, on the other hand, lathered differently than any other soap I’ve tried. A shaken out (i.e. damp) badger brush was all that was needed to whip up a frothy lather. Although I did add a bit of water later, I’m not sure it was necessary. It also produced a bit slicker lather, causing me to rate it slightly higher in this duel.
    At this point in the game, my den is completely full, so in order to make the den, soaps need to unseat one of my current favorites. Despite being very good soaps that I think are absolutely worth trying for yourself, neither of them did.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    Linuxguile and Edison Carter like this.
  3. BaylorGator

Maybe after 67 soap reviews I’ve become battle hardened. Maybe I’m getting old and curmudgeonly before my time. I dunno, it’s just getting harder and harder to make my den. Today was a battle between two soaps I was really interested in: Sapone Di Paolo and Turtleship. Both were of the coconut persuasion. I’d heard good things about both soaps, and for good reason, as both delivered an excellent shave. If I he’d to give the edge to one I’d go with the Sapone, as the lather was just a tad richer despite it being a vegan offering.. I rate both of these soaps as a solid B to B+, as they perform right up there with a number of other good soaps. Unlike my A soaps, though, nothing really stands out significantly ahead of the pack for me, and the scents are just OK to me. Clearly I’ve gotten spoiled. As a side note, Sapone Di Paolo is having an Arrivederci Sale with all their soaps available for $10, and balms for $6. Apparently they are rebranding. FWIW, I don’t think you’ll find as good a soap value for $10.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Do you have a list if the soaps that currently hold a spot in your den? Or point me to the right post, if you already put it up. Thanks!

RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  5. BaylorGator

Post #2 on the first page has a summary review & rating of every soap I’ve reviewed broken out/separated by those that are in my den and those that are not. It still needs to be updated with yesterday’s soaps.

Linuxguile and RyX like this.
  6. PickledNorthern

Curious to see what’s making the cut.

7. PickledNorthern

Great write up and reviews. You have reached a point where you have tried a lot of soaps I haven’t, but on the ones that we have both tried, I tend to agree with you almost to a T. I probably rate Soap Commander higher than you do, but I think that’s sort of on a subjective plane.

8. BaylorGator

No doubt it’s subjective. Especially since the B’s and B+’s are all good enough soaps to be anyone’s favorite if they strike a chord. To me, the A’s really stand out above the pack for one reason or another, and anything below a B doesn’t excite me.

RyX and PickledNorthern like this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Randy - I haven't read the whole thread, but appreciate the effort you've put into your testing. The second post summary is dense with information (in a good way!) that I'll point folks with questions toward. For a person new to wet shaving and the world of soaps it will provide guidance both on the path and wandering afield. I like the subjective analysis concerning the shave qualities, juxtaposed to your own objective thoughts on each test subject.
    Bully!

Paul Turner likes this.
  10. BaylorGator

Thanks Rick! This started out as a pass around on another forum whose only requirement was to review the soaps used in the pass around. My OCD kicked in, I added all the soaps in my SAD battery, and it’s ended up being one of the more comprehensive soap review threads on the internet. Not saying it’s right, but like you said, it’s a reference point for folks who need a place to start.

RyX likes this.
  11. BaylorGator

Today pitted Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations (already a favorite, but I wanted to try the Coconut Oud) against Long Rifle (a soap I'd heard a lot of good things about). Long Rifle whipped up into a lather quickly and easily without almost any water being added. In retrospect, maybe I should have added some more, as it didn't turn out as slick as the Lisa's did, and I really think slickness is one of the key components to a great shave. Also, though many folks enjoy their scents, none of them really resonated with me. Subjective, I know, but I'm going to put long rifle in the B category. However, like I've said before, the B's and B+'s are good enough in performance to be a favorite soap to many. To me the A's really stand out in one way or another, and anything from B-/C+ and below just doesn't excite me. YMMV.

Linuxguile likes this.
  12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Long Rifle sounds like Rise Super Foam on steroids(the no/small amount water part). I'm attracted to a few of their scents(as described and shown on its website). Never heard of Lisa's though, but it deserves respect as you already like it.

RyX and Edison Carter like this.
  13. BaylorGator

Today I pitted Big Easy Soaps - Cafe Orleans against Tallow and Steel - Maya. From a performance standpoint, very few soaps measure up to T&S, so it’s a good measuring stick for the contender. I gave the soap a solid B. The soap provides very solid performance, but availability can be an issue here, as the artisan runs an Etsy shop that goes in and out of stock. The Café Orleans scent, though, is something special transporting you to a New Orleans café with chicory coffee and beignets. This scent makes this B one that could end up in the den if re-released.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  14. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

I've got 4 Big Easy Soaps. In order of preference, 221B Baker St, Purple Haze, Voodoo Queen, and 504. The scents are unique and the performance is great although it can be a bit tricky to lather. I personally would put it ahead of Chiseled Face and right there with Stirling.

Love reading your reviews, I think you've done some great work! :happy096:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  15. BaylorGator

Thanks, brother! I’d defer to your judgement on performance. It was definitely not lacking by any means, but it’s tough to make a definitive call after 1 shave and 1 attempt at the perfect lather. On my skin, I rate Stirling as crazy slick, so very few soaps clear that bar for me, but after almost 70 soaps I’m having a tough time with the B’s and B+‘s, as there are so many solidly good soaps out there. If I lathered Chiseled Face against it, I wouldn’t be surprised if I came to a similar conclusion. So many soaps, so little time for head to head comparisons. Having said that the scent and performance combo would make it a “buy” for me if re-released.

16. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

The owner Chris LaBiche, up until last fall had been keeping his soaps stocked. I really hope he keeps making soap as I for one will always be a customer. Thanks again for what your doing, your reviews have been a great reference for me!

Linuxguile and Edison Carter like this.
  17. BaylorGator

Finishing up box #4, I dedided to go another round with Big Easy Soaps and compare it directly with B&M (Soapmakers of Awesometown). I stand by my previous evaluation, but as always, YMMV. To me, it's a solid B (which is a good, denworthy soap that gave an excellent shave), but it's not quite up there with B&M. Having said that if Cafe Orleans is re-released, somebody PM me, because that scent is money! Anyway, I've still got a couple more TBD shaves with Passaround Box #4 and then I'll get to some more of my own samples (Oleo Soapworks, Rose Rock Apothecary, etc.) in the mix. Also, @Tiredricefarmer got me thinking: I'm also going to go back and re-test some of my earlier grades with head to head comparisons. For example, I've shaved with 50+ additional soaps since I shaved with Chiseled Face, so I'm curious if or how some of my earlier thoughts may change. I've also learned it's easy to have a better or worse experience with a soap on any given day, but head to head comparisons with known soaps really give solid data for comparisons, so I'm going to see if some tweaking may be in order.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  18. BaylorGator

Review #70 is next. When this thread started I had planned for 30 or so reviews. Clearly I've lost my marbles.

19. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

RyX and BaylorGator like this.
  20. BaylorGator

Having only shaved once before with Eufros prior to receiving box #4 (and rating it an A), I decided to verify my experience with another shave, and chose the Brisa De Oriente. This scent was just OK off the puck, but opened up nicely when lathered. I went head to head with B&M and it compared quite favorably. I’d stick with my initial grade of A for this one.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018