The De Haven Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jmudrick, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

The Ronson isn't a wedge blade. It's a very thick specialized DE blade. However, @twhite mentioned he'd honed the old style Gillette before, which means this one should be able to be touched up.

Jorvaljr and twhite like this.
  2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I don't think the shave will be different I just want to collect the variations :p:ashamed001:

jmudrick and twhite like this.
  3. Jorvaljr

IMG_6928.jpg
    Awesome shave. One thing gents, make sure the blade doesn't shift on you. I was shaving to day when the blade shifted more to one side and the corner of the blade was dragging. It scraped my face and now I have a scratch from ear to throat.

4. Nosheeatzoo

Nosheeatzoo New Member

How would I go about getting a set of those adaptors for a model 2?

5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Message @twhite .

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Jorvaljr likes this.
  6. Nosheeatzoo

Nosheeatzoo New Member

Thanks! I think I sent him a pm lol

twhite and DaltonGang like this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

DeHaven Diplomat, Schick Pro-line AC blade, AOS Sandalwood. More care required than using a standard injector razor but a very fine two pass BBS shave. Diplomat requires the @twhite adapter.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dave in KY, LOOT and Jorvaljr like this.
  8. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

LOOT and jmudrick like this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I have eight different Dehaven razor patents (link above) plus one for the case. Folks were certainly looking to Improve. I am curious about why' there is up to a seven year stretch between filings and publication (1925-32).

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    LOOT likes this.
  10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I picked up another Model 3, this one with a blade variant I hadn't seen, a one piece wedgy. Both blades were packed with the razor though I can't be sure both were original to the unit when sold. Instructions are dated 1937.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    Dave in KY, brit, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  11. Jorvaljr

I believe the razor itself is a variant and it may be why the blade is different. It’s cool as hell.. lol FYI I changed my mind.. I’ll take this variant if you want to offer it up!:p

12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I did double check, all three razors are the same, and the Model 3 is the only one that clipped wedge will fit. I'll try a shave with it. The backup you can have it's in perfect shape except for the case.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  13. Jorvaljr

I was just joking bud, I just wanted to tease you about this particular razor . Congrats on the find. I hope it shaves well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave in KY and jmudrick like this.
  14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Thx. It will shave exactly as its Model 3 brothers which is great. The wedge blade we will see.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Well the wedge blade was a no go, not sharp enough. Maybe Tom can do something with it, I'll stick to the injectors.

Dave in KY and Jorvaljr like this.
  16. Jorvaljr

I’m sure it can still be sharpened.

jmudrick likes this.
  17. hins2jw0

hins2jw0 Well-Known Member

I stumbled onto this thread out of curiosity. Will an injector razor blade work with any iteration of the DeHaven razor or only the newer generation(s)?

I had previously avoided acquiring one of these beauties out of the concern for proprietary blades (because I regularly use my vintage razors). But now that I read about a possible work-around, I would love to acquire 1 or 2 to use.

I tried messaging @twhite about obtaining or building one of his adapters but that's a no go. Any information that you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Josh

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Jorvaljr likes this.
  18. Jorvaljr

You can modify a gem blade. It works well.

19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

You're out of luck without an adapter in terms of using an Injector blade with the earlier DeHavens. Get a Model 3 and make sure it comes with a blade holder or two.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  20. Jorvaljr

If you despine a gem blade and then cut it down, you can use it. That’s how I have been using mine [​IMG]