Why did I do this to myself?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by McGrande, Apr 27, 2018.

1. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

I must have been caught up in some kind of an alternate universe!!!

I've been wet shaving since the mid 1960s. Probably used a few Gillette razors some of you guys lust for now. Used Rise, Foamy and Barbasol canned cream. Finished off with Old Spice or Skin Bracer. Used carts from whenever they snuck into the market up to about 8 or 9 years ago. Got sick of paying for 3 blade carts. Wife got me an EJ DE87 razor out of a catalog (Duluth Trading Co.). Bought my Wilkinson Sword blades at Wal-Mart. .........here's where I enter the alternate universe........

Wal-Mart stopped stocking my blades a few years ago. Never liked the CVS or Walgreens blades.
    I THEN WENT ONLINE IN A SEARCH FOR BLADES. JUST BLADES. ONLY BLADES.
    You all know what happened next, don't you? You know......the saving money part. HA!

Look at all this shaving stuff I've accumulated. I now spend time figuring out what soap or cream to pair with which aftershave and take pictures of my daily shave and post them here. I need help. Oh, I got the blades alright.....hundreds of them! I have a spreadsheet with my blade inventory. I have 12 years of daily shaves in stock. I'll be 80 before I need to buy another blade.

I put everything shave related on my kitchen table this morning and here it is.

shaving stuff.JPG
    I never caught the razor bug. Still have the EJ but it's semi-retired. Use it when traveling. The Merkur 45 just sits there. Use the Omega synthetic and 10086 brushes. Use the Semogue too. I like the variety but I'm realizing this is over the top.

I could easily get great shaves using this kit every day.
    all i need.JPG

I think I'll just start using stuff up by breaking from a different software set-up every day, to a weekly run. It'll still take me years to whittle this craziness down.

Ok, I'm done.........gotta check Italian Barber's "Deal of the Day". And did I read where Maggard's is selling the slant head? And what about WCS's coupon.

2. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    The bug!!! Big time. The only treatment that stops the itch? Buy more shave chit.

Jim99 likes this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I am having a difficult time seeing a problem here...

4. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

Nice starter set! I was there too lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I was thinking the same thing!

6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Nice travel kit, @McGrande . Let us know when the real ?AD's kick in. To me, it just looks like you are narrowing down what you like, and you will stop when your perfect set-up is found. Yeah, that's it. :D

7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

If you are expecting to be discouraged from acquiring more shave swag, you’ve come to the wrong place. ;)

8. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

What you really just did is validate all of my recent spending. If anything, I could buy more. Thanks :sad027:

9. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

So,...... it's your wife's fault!!! :p :D

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Your story has a familiar ring. I cannot see myself running out of soap or blades. I have no shortage of brushes and razors, too.

11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

When guilt sets in, and you seem to regret overloading your shaving area, especially when your considering buying another something new.
    I tend to soothe my conscience by giving something away. I pif to family, friends, denizens. It makes room in the shave area, eases my nerves about overdoing the whole thing, and promotes the shave thing to others.

12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Okay, so what’s the problem?

13. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Looks like you’re off to a good start.

If I was going to put all of my shaving stuff on the kitchen table I’d have to do it in groups (all the razors and brushes, all the soaps and creams, all the aftershaves, etc.).

Unless of course I had a kitchen table big enough for the Waltons.

14. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

To the left of the blades are 5 bottles of a green liquid. That is this? Thanks much..............

15. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

Only 4 razors? I got bit by the razor bug bad this year. I know how you feel.

16. Primotenore

Article Team
    I suggest we photograph our kitchen tables with ALL of our gear. Compare acquisition disorders. I will have to wait until Monday when my wife is away. :D

17. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Will it all fit on the kitchen table? I don't think so.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

18. Primotenore

Article Team
    Nope. Not to mention shlepping all that gear downstairs..wait...are we talking about you or me?

19. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

No way I’m leaving behind evidence.

20. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Nice idea, but... that would take hours (if not a whole day) to get it all out, line it up, put it all back...

Recently I took on the very small project of cleaning shelves and sorting all of my Old Spice and boxing up duplicates and extra stock (since the shelves were overflowing) and that took over two hours. Then I spent another hour sorting and boxing up duplicates and extra stock of other miscellaneous software.

Now I'm looking at my Seaforth collection and thinking that needs to get boxed up but this weekend is already full of spring yard chores and vehicle maintenance.

Having a disorder is fun but it's sure takes a lot of work.

brit, jeraldgordon, Keithmax and 3 others like this.