Your Favorite Blade

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Michael_W, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

The topic is fairly self-explanatory. What's your favorite blade and why? How long have you been using it, and how do others compare to your favorite?

So far my ties for number-one favorite are the Gillette Bleue Extra and the Super Iridium/Iridium Super. Both give me close, smooth shaves with no or almost no nicking even in my problem areas of the neck and corners of my mouth, and no irritation.

Runner-Up: Personna Lab Blue — Nice and sharp and practically no irritation, and made in the United States.

Third Place: Astra Superior Platinum — Not as close as the others, but quite forgiving on my face.

Compared to other blades I've tried, these were the ones that gave me the best shaves and least nicking and irritation. Others, such as the Treet Carbon Steel "Black Beauties", were good but tended to wear out sooner. My worst experiences were with the Van Der Hagen, Dorco Prime Platinum, and Feather blades. The latter two brands were super-sharp, perhaps too sharp for my skin type, leaving me nicked, irritated, or both.

RaZorBurn123 and brit like this.
  2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Gillette Silver Blue
    Second place*:
    Rapira Platinum Lux
    Gillette Nacet
    Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum
    Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless
    Pol- Silver SI
    Sputnik

* All of these blade are top tier for me and virtually indistinguishable from each other.

jtspartan and Michael_W like this.
  3. Gorgack

Gorgack Member

Definitely concur with my mates, Gillette Blues are up there for me. I usually stock them and my Feather Blacks with my shave kit. Happy shaving, sirs.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

4. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

1) Astra Superior Stainless - better than Astra SP in my opinion. the best combination of being smooth and sharp enough. it also aligns the quickest in all my razors.
    2) Rapira Swedish Super Steel - these are the blades Voskhod wishes they could be. a little less sharp than Astra SS but oh so smooth.
    3) Rapira Super Stainless - i like these for the same reasons i like Astra SS, they just aren't quite as smooth.

5. brit

brit in a box

gillette nacet.sharpest and longest lasting.whiskers fall off.
    gillette silver blue. sharp and smooth.
    astra sp.smooth ,good for 3 shaves.daily driver.
    all work well in all my vintage gillette razors.

6. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

For quite a while it was a tie between gillette silver blues and Astra Sp.
    Then I went and got some personas.
    They are my number one blade.
    Sharper than the GSB and smoother than the Astras. I like the original Wilkinson sword blades. Almost on par with persona, however the new ones that are made by Gillette are a bit more agressive.

Eventually I'll get around to trying some vishkod, or rapiras bit in the mean time my personas do the trick.
    Now for single edge stuff, I love PAL blads and get 7 shaves woth one blade, but I don't suppose you were asking about those.

7. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Feather - because it is the only blade sharp enough to slice my whiskers.

The latest year I have exclusively been using Feather and during the last three years most of the shaves have been done with Feather. For me all other blades tug and it feels unpleasant.

Thaipete likes this.
  8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Personna Lab Blues used to be my favorite (I still have over 600 in my den), but Gillette SB and Gillette 7 O’Clock Black have taken over that spot. That’s followed by Asta SP and then by Personna.

They’re all good, but some are just better than others.

9. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

I've tried a bunch over the years but have settled on 5 brands that I rotate weekly. I only use 2 razors (Fatip Grande & RazoRock German 37 slant) and these 5 brands give me 7 great shaves 99.9% of the time. I've pushed both the Polsilver SIs and Nacets to 10 shaves with no issues or dulling. Most of the time I start with a fresh blade on Sunday and change out after Saturday's shave. After working through the 5 weeks with one razor, I switch.

In order from top to bottom although they all work fine.

Polsilver Super Iridium
    Gillette Nacet
    Astra SP
    Personna Red
    Gillette 7 O'Clock (green)

Lots of variables to consider. Seems blades perform differently depending on the razor.

Linuxguile likes this.
  10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Having only tried three .....
    Astra Greens, very good and consistent in the razors I have.
    Feathers- awesome in the 33C, mindbogglingly amazing in the Fatip yesterday, good in the R41 this am. Last bit of this month will be Futur with one in just to see.
    So I liked them both.
    Wilkinsons Sword = very bad for me, no idea why but results were savagely horrible and I'll never go there again.

A full month of Feather 'n Fatip will give me a decent feels for things. Astras are consistent in everything but Feathers utterly change one razor, so they both get my vote.

11. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

In order: Feather and then Gillette Silver Blue...

or Gillette Silver Blue and then Feather. :)

As @McGrande says there are many variables, not the least of which is me.

My general preference is for a very sharp blade in a relatively mild razor.

I do have to give honourable mentions to Voskhod and Wilkinson Sword.

12. bayercy

bayercy Well-Known Member

1. PERSONNA BLUE
    I have tried many blades. Personna Blue blades are great with my favourite DE, Merkur Progress. No irritation, very smooth, long live.
    2. POLSILVER SI
    Sharper than Personna. Very good with my other favourite Edwin Jagger DE89. I can not get more than 3 shaves with this blade.
    3. GILLETTE SILVER BLUE
    The best i have ever used. It is at the third place because it is hard to find.

Bobcat likes this.
  13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Favorite DE blade is the Dollar Store Dorco. Sharp and smooth. I can use it in any razor and get great shaves out of it. Favorite SE blade is PAL Super. Getting really hard to find those now so mostly use Treet. Favorite Injector blade is a plain ole Personna. The Dorco blades alse work great in shavettes that use the half DE. The only AC shavette blade I have used so far is a professional Super. It worked good.

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Getting nicks and irritation has nothing at all to do with the blades.

PanChango likes this.
  15. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Hard to find?

$17.80 with free shipping for 100 on Amazon.

16. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Out of production: Wilkinson Sword "Light Brigade" NEW Chromium, Personna 74 Tungsten, Schick Plus Platinum, Gillette Platinum-Plus, Gillette "Spoiler" Super Stainless.

Current production: Personna Med Prep, Gillette Platinum, Rapira Platinum Lux, Rapira Swedish Supersteel, Perma-Sharp Super.

Linuxguile likes this.
  17. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

For me, my top five are Bic Chrome Platinum, Bolzano, Personna Lab Blue, Treet Carbon Black Beauty and Polsilver.

jsw41 and Linuxguile like this.
  18. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Best Modern Blade: Polsilver SI
    Best Vintage Blade: Wilkinson Light Brigade

19. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

For DE, either Polsilver or Nacet. For SE, Feather AC Pro. For Injector, it would be the Chicks.

Linuxguile likes this.
  20. jsw41

jsw41 Member

My favourite is Bic Chrome Platinum, just keeps giving easy, close shaves. We go to Portugal for 3 months(90 days) and 6 Bic blades was all I needed this year. I've tried Wilkinson, Merkur, and Laser, but they are nowhere as good as Bic, for me.