MAYhem 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 30, 2018.

?

What's your MAYhem look like?

1. Gonna use some brand new gear that I've never tried and just have FUN with it!

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. I'm thinking of pairing some gear together I've never paired before.

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Time to go full dark side and learn straights - this is the month to bleed after all.

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. A total bloody mess may be in my future - stand by!

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  5. I'm playing it safe and eating as many cookies as I can.

19 vote(s)
    54.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome to MAYhem 2018!!! For the newer members who wonder what the hype is all about a brief history might be in order. Three years ago I decided to try all of the worst blades I could find in a month and with the worst gear. I chose May. I called my focus “Mayhem or Mercy” after modifying it to allow for decent gear the second half of the month. Still horrible blades, but instead of using the worst razors and software all month I split it in half. From there things have evolved until MAYhem is a month we seem to rush headlong into with a desire to try the dumbest, most unique, and just plain weird stuff as part of our shaves. We've shaved with a blade on a bolt, a blade taped to a finger, some of the worst possible kamisori style carbon pieces of......bad steel, and the list continues. Whaaaaattttt? That seriously happened?

With this crew anything is possible, the sky is the limit and the shenanigans flow naturally from the bizarre way our minds work. And yes, all of those things happened.

Now, the following is an official statement I feel must be made. First of all, if you are not one who wants to try out the strange, weird and just plain stupid, that’s perfectly fine! Decide what your Rule or Focus is and let’s have a great month doing what we do! If you want to join in the MAYhem either as a group project or something unique yourself, feel free to do so! But remember……….

Any use of objects not designed for shaving, or the use of shaving products in ways for which they are not designed, or any such use or misuse is NOT RECOMMENDED by The Shave Den and all such shaves and actions are AT YOUR OWN RISK! Officially, it should be stated that such acts are unwise and potentially dangerous.

Please note that MAYhem may just be a month dedicated to a total lack of focus, trying new stuff or new combinations. It's really just a month to go as crazy as you define or desire.

Now that that’s out of the way – LET MAYHEM COMMENCE!

Welcome back or welcome for the first time!! Wondering what the heck a 30 Day Rule or Focus is? Well, let’s let the one, the only, the legendary and mystical @Bama Samurai remind us. Please rise and remove your hats and hold your favorite razor aloft in tribute. We’ll pause for a moment of revered silence.

HEY! I said pause for revered silence! Ok, now you can proceed.

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach.Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines, and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. Again, if you want to follow the theme in some way feel free. But if you are on a Rule or Focus that doesn’t include the theme we’re totally fine with that. Most of all remember – this is about learning to use the tools and improving our skills so that TECHNIQUE TRUMPS TOOLS!!

Here are the rules. Those not following the rules will be subject to penalties to include a visit from Ivan or Igor to correct that stinkin’ thinkin’! Think I'm kidding? Natalia is available as well. Your call.

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Experienced Members also always welcome. Notice I stopped calling us “old”?
    3. Respect everyone
    4. Follow the rules of the forum
    5. All razor types and styles welcome
    6. Any criticism of Russian steel of any kind will be met with swift and ferocious retribution. Ok, so maybe not so swift. The guys have to sober up first. And ferocious? Well, at least slightly uncomfortable to listen to. Plus their breath can kill charging bears.
    7. Any criticism of Feather blades is also subject to the same kind of almost uncomfortable retribution. The Yakuza has started mixing their sake with the vodka from the Cartel boys. Let’s just say it seems to have calmed them down.

Let's have some great shaves people! Let the MAYhem begin!! Group hug people!

30 day crew portrait.jpg

brit, wristwatchb, Drygulch and 15 others like this.
  2. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Along with MAYhem, for those uninitiated, let me introduce you to the 2nd Annual 30 DC Shavey Awards (our version of the Grammys, Emmy's, or Academy Awards).

Check out the linked thread, hit follow, and join in on the fun (or at least gawk at the smoking dumpster for a bit).

Here's to a (relatively) safe and eventful MAY!

3. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Let the games begin.

There should be blood, but there isn't.

Fromm Hair Shaper Blade
    Haslinger Schafmilch
    Nivea Post Shave Balm

Yep, went with the hand held razor blade. The Fromm is very rigid, and it's length allowed me to grip it while still being able to see a little bit of what I was doing. I had to rinse the soap off of the blade often to keep my grip. I went very slowly and very methodically. My hands got in the way and I kept smearing soap everywhere. This isn't the sharpest blade in the world so that was a saving grace. That said, in the longest single pass shave of my life I did remove hair and came away with a bloodless, socially acceptable shave. Not having the weight of a razor forced me to make very short strokes at a very shallow angle. I wouldn't want to do that every day, but it can be done in a pinch if you have PLENTY of time to devote to it and you have all of your 30DC shave fu skills in order.[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  4. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Its 2:10am here and im planning my 1st Mayhem shave. Pics and report to follow. Heres to a safe and sane month gentlemen!

RyX, Drygulch, Linuxguile and 7 others like this.
  5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Nice MAYhem shave to start out with! I've thought about using the AC blades the same way. However, the sharpness of a Feather Pro or even Super Pro might make that a bit dicey. That might go on my list as well.

RyX, Drygulch, Linuxguile and 8 others like this.
  6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Safe AND sane? That's a high standard.

Drygulch, Linuxguile, PLAla and 7 others like this.
  7. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Looks like youre off to a great start! Thats one for the books .

Drygulch, Linuxguile, PLAla and 5 others like this.
  8. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Thats for the guys on the sidelines . As for the rest I say Good Luck. Any idea how long it takes Gorilla glue to dry btw?

RyX, Drygulch, Linuxguile and 8 others like this.
  9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Depends on how hard the gorilla pulls on it.

RyX, Drygulch, Linuxguile and 7 others like this.
  10. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I actually contemplated an AC blade before I grabbed this one. There just wasn't enough real estate on one to hold it bare handed, and then there was that sharpness you mentioned.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

RyX, Drygulch, Linuxguile and 9 others like this.
  11. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

If the plan is to use the Gorilla Glue like a hot wax treatment - smearing it over the whiskers, letting it dry, and then peeling it off and (hopefully) the whiskers with it - well, I really wouldn't advise it. That stuff sticks to skin quite well. Just saying... :)

FaceScraper, jtspartan, RyX and 13 others like this.
  12. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

I guess its back to the drawing board for me .

RyX, Drygulch, SharptoothC and 10 others like this.
  13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Stud.

FaceScraper, 9nein9, RyX and 10 others like this.
  14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

No May madness for me, but pleased with this plan. I'm too new at DE plus I've gotten old and sensible.Can't be having mayhem in my shave den :)
    Razor: Fatip open comb
    Blades: Astra for first two weeks, Feather for second half of the month
    Brush: Rocky Mountain, only used this twice but so far so good
    Alum Block: to test how well I'm doing but this won't be every day.
    Balm:Speick
    Splash: Speick
    Soap: Speick, this was grated up and then had a little carrier oil plus lavender essential oil mixed in, pressed into an old TOBS container and I believe I have "fixed" this soap at least for me. Lathers brilliantly, much better than before.

I'm two shaves down so far and things going well. Razor makes me think about angle and pressure all the time but not a nick nor weeper today and a close very comfortable shave that feels excellent and has me sorted for the days. Happy MAYhem to all ye really mad folks.

upload_2018-5-1_9-36-43.png

brit, FaceScraper, 9nein9 and 13 others like this.
  15. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Me and my Blackbird are in for the month. GSB blade, SOC boar and badger brushes, PAA/CK soaps, assorted aftershaves. First shave this evening. Have a great May gentlemen! [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Stunning piece of kit mate!

9nein9, RyX, Drygulch and 6 others like this.
  17. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks Ken! It was my first DE. It didn't take long for me to decide I needed something more forgiving to hone my technique with.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

9nein9, RyX, Drygulch and 6 others like this.
  18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

I'll be honest, I like the effort needed with something a little feisty. I don't have the habit for angles that an experienced DE shaver has having only been at this a couple of months, so I relish something that makes me focus totally on what I am about. It actually wakes my brain up for the day :), just as my usual cold shower gives the body a kick start. I think you will have a great month with that one, just sort out angle, pressure and take your time. I'm getting up a tad earlier in the morning to make sure I don't have to rush.

9nein9, RyX, Drygulch and 9 others like this.
  19. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

A35D6D5D-86B6-4667-847A-D96A24B462AB.jpeg

May 1 SOTD:

Razor: Timeless Bronze OC
    Blade: Sputnik
    Brush: Elite Razor Manchurian White
    Lather: Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars
    Aftershave: Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars
    Additional Care:
    Stirling Unscented PSB

I'll be back this month, and will pull out a MAYhem shave or two, but most of the month will be spent working on more soap reduction.

I needed a quick shave this morning and this razor fit the bill. I pulled out this lovely scent as I am headed to Houston for a corporate meeting for the next few days. It all came together for this DFS. I hope everyone has a great day!

brit, FaceScraper, Paul76 and 13 others like this.
  20. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Nice looking shave.

9nein9, RyX, Drygulch and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.