Any lovers of Brut out there?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Primotenore, May 9, 2017.

1. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

I have some modern and a small travel bottle of an older version of it.But I rarely use it as it .It brings up bad associations with cheesy 70's disco. I had the misfortune to live through that phase of music and Brut seemed to be the scent of that crowd.(whole body shiver from that memory)

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Come on man. Visionaries. Never cheesy.

3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I guess I have come to appreciate Brut with age. Not everyday, but in the rotation. Wifey always approves. :)

Bama Samurai likes this.
  4. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

:duel:
    Leave me alone!
    :eatdrink047:
    I like Brut.....
    I like Brut.....
    I like Brut.....
    I like Brut.....
    I like Brut.....
    :happy005:

Primotenore likes this.
  5. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Yup, Brut has a permanent place in my den. I have to admit that I rediscovered it after getting into wet shaving. I passed up the biggest bottle of it (or any juice for that matter) at a flea market last summer and still regret it. The medallion on it was huge.

Bama Samurai and Primotenore like this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup. I doubt my nose could tell the difference anyway.

7. pbrmhl

pbrmhl Well-Known Member

I love vintage Brut. I recall getting my dad bottles of aftershave for Christmas when I was a kid (using money my mom gave me): English Leather, Old Spice and Brut (though not in the same year). I never used an aftershave until I was 57 years old, so I don't really have the nostalgia associated with the scent.

My wife does, though. The first time I splashed on a heavy dose of vintage Faberge Brut "Lotion," we left in the car an hour later. In the car, she sniffed and said, "Are you wearing that cologne all the boys wore in high school?" (We're both class of '74.) I said, "Yep." She smiled and moved her eyes to the front windshield. As we went to high schools a thousand miles apart, I began to wonder who she was thinking about...

urrlord and Primotenore like this.
  8. Primotenore

Article Team
    :signs002:

9. pbrmhl

pbrmhl Well-Known Member

Exactly. After almost 37 years of marriage, however, I no longer look like the guy(s) she may have been thinking about. I'll cut her some slack...

Primotenore likes this.
  10. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I picked up a bottle of Brut splash on at Wally World the other day. Haven't used it yet. I'm not too sold on the drug store aftershaves as many on here are. Skin Bracer is okay, but some others (Aqua Velva, Clubman, Gillette Cool Wave) haven't spoken to me. We'll see how does Brut does.

11. Primotenore

Article Team
    I don't know if the latest formulation is the same. My vintage juice is however...da bomb! Let us know Perry.

Edison Carter and PLAla like this.
  12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

You've communicated your point, Mr. Cawtuh. :). Actually,. I may give it a try sometime-I never have.

Edison Carter likes this.
  13. Paul Turner

You're saying the three aftershaves in your paraentheses don't agree with your taste?

14. PLAla

Correct. Aqua Velva, Clubman, and Gillette Cool Wave are not splashes I will likely buy again. I didn't care for them and neither did SWMBO. She tolerates Skin Bracer okay, but I have so many others from Stirling and other vendors that are far better than Skin Bracer, so it doesn't see much work.

Edison Carter likes this.
  15. Paul Turner

And I take it the W likes those from Stirling&other vendors, too?

16. Paul Turner

After I finish my Gillette Cool Wave, I'll make the decision: Another one, or back to Mennen Skin-Bracer.? I do enjoy Aqua-Velva, so my "choice" would be a summer backup to AV.

17. PLAla

She tolerates all of it. I don't get a lot of feedback because I leave for work pretty early and she's still asleep. So when I get home the scent has mostly worn off. But she's not one to withhold opinions and will let me know if something isn't to her liking!

Edison Carter and Paul Turner like this.
  18. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I enjoyed a Brut day earlier this week.

Bar soap in the shower, deodorant, and aftershave.

Not an everyday choice for me but it’s in the rotation.

When it was still available I bought a bottle of Brut Attitude. It’s just alright so I’m not looking for more.

Brut Dominant, on the other hand, is one that I purchased a couple extra bottles of once I realized it was being discontinued.

I’ve also seen a three piece cologne variety pack that includes Blue, Black, and Special Reserve that I’m curious about so maybe someday I’ll pick one up.

Primotenore and PLAla like this.
  19. Paul Turner

Y'know, Brut is called "The Essence of Man"(which is great of course), but I think Clubman should be called "The Epitome Of Man".

20. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I'm not big of after shaves, etc. but do like and use Brut. Wholly Kaw Fougere Parfaite has a Brut like scent to it. If your a Brut fan try and get a sample. Good stuff, IMO.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    Primotenore likes this.