Polo

Discussion in 'Scents' started by Demidog, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I picked up a new bottle from FragranceNet. The first few sprays smelled pretty terrible, like skunk and beans. After a while, I started getting that charred pine smell that I really like. I went to smell the original formulation and it smelled terrible, like the smell of the new bottle was still in my nose and was colliding with the old bottle. Really weird sensation.

I hope it was just the first few sprays that were messed up. I also noticed that it doesn't project at all. The old bottle came with an open top and just a few dabs on your fingers were enough for the entire day. With the new spray bottle, I tried two sprays on the neck and even I can barely smell the thing.

2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

would shaking it help get rid of the skunk and beans?

Demidog likes this.
  3. Demidog

Not sure. I figured that it probably got shaken around a lot during shipping. The smell is getting a little better over time and it's feeling closer to the original bottle now but that big whiff of skunk really caught me off guard for a second. I'm also having pretty bad allergies now so hopefully it's just my nose and other people don't start thinking that I rubbed a skunk on me before heading out in public.

4. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

I'm wary of purchasing from fragrancenet. I got a bottle of Terre d'Hermes as a gift from them. I compared it to what is sold in the department stores. Not the same. Very similar, but not exactly the same. The one from fragrancenet is not as strong going on and does not last as long. I've always wondered if they sell knock-offs. Maybe someone more knowledgable can weigh in.

Demidog likes this.
  5. Demidog

I asked around and other members here verified that they are legitimate. My biggest complaint is that they won't let me unsubscribe from their mailing list and they keep bombarding me with emails. There is definitely something strange about this bottle though. There is pretty much no scent projection whatsoever and I still don't understand how they can afford to charge 50% or more off retail if these are authentic colognes.

BabyBottomSmooth likes this.
  6. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if Polo Blue is the same scent as Polo Sport that came in a blue bottle several years ago? I still have a bottle of Polo Sport I bought back in 1998, and to me it smell very much like Drakkar Essence. I don't know if they make the Polo Sport anymore, I never see it in any stores, but can still find it on line. Thought maybe they stopped calling it Polo Sport and just call it Polo Blue.

7. Masonjarjar

Masonjarjar Active Member

Polo was very popular in my high school years 1985 to 1988. Then someone spilled a bottle in the bathroom. Pretty much ruined it for me for years (I never wore it myself, my brother did). However, I sampled it and it was actually kind of nice. I think my scent memory finally faded. It's on my want list now.

ninjack and Demidog like this.
  8. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

I have the green and I wear it now and again.

Demidog likes this.
  9. Demidog

Months later and it's still my favorite cologne. I'm very disappointed in the bottle that I got but I guess that's just how it goes with reformulations. Some day I will try the other Polo varieties as well as other colognes but I'm not sure if anything can top that charred firewood and pine goodness.

10. Joachim

Joachim Well-Known Member

Does anyone tried polo supreme oud??..

11. Paul Turner

Which Old Spice are you talkinabout as a "garage band"...Shulton, or the current stuff??

12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    All versions of regular Old Spice, old Shulton included.

13. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Have polo Red cologne and Stirling soap in blue green and red intense (Redeye). Love them all. Red is a citrusy scent with notes of grapefruit and some spices. When it comes to scents, I tend to check out fragrantica.com and find them accurate for they description.

14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

When you reach the age of a sequoia ... then your old! :happy102:

gorgo2 likes this.
  15. Paul Turner

I wonder if the idea of Nivea 4 Men Sport Bodywash(which I've been enjoying) came from Polo Sport A.S./Cologne.

16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Safari sounds great!

I've mixed Old Spice and English Leather at a 60/40 ratio ... works well in the office.

PLANofMAN and gorgo2 like this.
  17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I wear Safari almost daily...it is still my "signature" scent.

Enrico likes this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

i have polo blue.nice stuff .

Paul Turner likes this.
  19. Paul Turner

Is that true about all Polo colors?

20. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    No. The "colors" are not reformulations, and most are fairly new fragrances. The only two RL fragrances that have been reformulated, to my knowledge, are Polo and Safari for men.