Preliminary shaving - how right?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by AlDm, May 6, 2018.

1. AlDm

AlDm Well-Known Member

Good afternoon Gentlemen! The question is addressed to those who use oil for pre-shaving. The question is this. How correctly to use oil for preliminary shaving? How do you use it? Apply to a moist or dry face? What time are you waiting for before applying cream or soap on your face? Between the first and second stage of shaving, do you apply oil? (or do I apply pre-shaving oil only once?) I did not have to use a pre-shave, but I see that you are using it, and some have mixed the oils, and use a pre-shave of your own making (DIY). I will be happy to all who leave tips how to use a preliminary shave. Your advice will be very useful, and help me properly use the oil for pre-shaving.

Добрый день Джентльмены! Вопрос обращён к тем, кто использует масло для предварительного бритья. Вопрос такой. Как правильно использовать масло для предварительного бритья? Как вы это используете? Наносите на увлажнённое, или сухое лицо? Какое время ждёте до нанесения крема или мыла на лицо? Между первым и вторым этапом бритья, вы наносите масло? ( или масло для предварительного бритья наносится только один раз?) Мне не приходилось использовать предварительное бритьё, но я вижу, что вы используете это, а некоторые смешали масла, и применяют предварительное бритьё собственного изготовления (DIY). Буду рад всем, кто оставит советы как использует предварительное бритьё. Ваши советы будут очень полезны, и помогут мне правильно использовать масло для предварительного бритья.

RyX likes this.
  2. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I'm interested in hearing the answer to this question as well.
    I've never been one to use a pre shave, so I'm of no help.
    I do wonder if it has more of placebo affect instead of an actual benefit.

AlDm likes this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I won't say your right or wrong ... it's your face, do what feels good to you. My shave may vary due to time constraints, but usually follows this order ...

1) Fill sink with hot / warm water.
    2) Load blade in razor and place razor in water to temper blade / razor (I remove blade after each shave).
    3) Select brush and place in to water to soak (if natural bristles ~5min, if synthetic dip in water and go to step 4).
    4) Quick squeeze of brush and load with shave soap.
    5) Splash warm water to face and lather face.
    6) Shave in specific direction. Depend on need; step 5 and 6 is preformed one to three times.
    7) Rinse face and wipe down with wash cloth.
    8) Apply aftershave and balm as desired.

I tried pre-shave oil a couple times and found it more trouble than I cared for, but if that is what you like great. As I said it's your shave enjoy it, the way you like. :)

AlDm likes this.
  4. AlDm

AlDm Well-Known Member

Thank you Enrico! You have beautifully described the step-by-step process of shaving ritual. Just like you described, I'm using a shaving procedure). Yes, I must dismantle the razor, and take out the blade. I never leave the machine with the blade. It became a habit. We do my dishes after eating). There are only a few phrases in your message about the oil. If I understand correctly, you are not a fan of preliminary oil. I've never used much, but lately, I've been seeing more and more of the mention of pre-shaving. What is it??? Another trick to empty the pocket, or a really good time in shaving, which I missed. Theme exists still a little time, it is possible to respond users of oil for preliminary shaving.

Спасибо Enrico! Вы прекрасно описали пошаговый процесс бритвенного ритуала. Именно так, как вы описали, я провожу бритвенную процедуру ). Да, я обязательно разбираю бритву, и вынимаю лезвие. Никогда не оставляю станок с лезвием. Это вошло в привычку. Мы же моем посуду после приёма пищи ).
    В вашем сообщении всего несколько фраз в отношении масла. Если я правильно понял, вы не фанат предварительного масла. Я же никогда мало не применял, но в последнее время, всё чаще вижу об упоминании предварительного бритья. Что это??? Очередной трюк для опустошения кармана, или действительно хороший момент в бритье, который я пропустил. Тема существует ещё мало время, возможно откликнуться пользователи масла для предварительного бритья.

Enrico and RyX like this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

People vary in their response to pre-shave oil. My husband and I love it. We both find that it reduces razor friction. I apply it to dry skin, but my husband applies it to moist skin. You’ll just have to try it both ways, to find what works.

AlDm likes this.
  6. AlDm

AlDm Well-Known Member

Thanks to Sara-s :signs021: that you shared your experience. You could make friends with butter, and get a comfortable shave) . You gave me hope that I do not need to dwell on unsuccessful attempts to use oil. I put oil on my wet face. It took some time, preparing the razor and preparing the shaving foam. When applying foam to the face, I could not get a good pillow, the oil prevented from getting a copious soap cushion):signs081: . It was a trick! It was fun! :rofl: It was a shock! I think that the use of oil, assumes only oil, without additional application of soap foam. But this is only an assumption. How can it be difficult to express your thoughts, so that it is clear to the interlocutor. I had to rewrite the message several times in order to translate from Google, it could be taken for a good and understandable option.

Спасибо Sara-s, что вы поделились своим опытом. Вы смогли подружиться с маслом, и получить комфортное бритьё ). Вы вселили в меня надежду, что мне не нужно останавливаться на неудачных попытках использования масла. Я нанёс масло на влажное лицо. Прошло некоторое время, занятое подготовкой бритвы и приготовлением пены для бритья. При нанесение пены на лицо, я не мог получить хорошую подушку, масло препятствовало получению обильной мыльной подушке ). Это был фокус! Это было весело! Это был шок!
    Думаю, что использование масла, предполагает только масло, без дополнительного нанесения мыльной пены. Но это только предположение.
    Как же это трудно выразить свои мысли, так чтобы это было понятно собеседнику. Пришлось несколько раз переписывать сообщение, чтобы в переводе от Google, это можно было принять за хороший и понятный вариант.

RyX likes this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I keep it simple ... soap, razor, brush. Everything else is a luxury, but some things are obstacles. It's personal preference to decide which is which.

AlDm likes this.
  8. AlDm

AlDm Well-Known Member

Hello Enrico! Thank you for participating in the thread). In this experiment with oil, (mark the oil with a "+" sign, it is a good product and will improve my shaving (denote my standard shave with the "+" sign, this is a combination of a razor blade - a soap - a shaving brush that brings me the result) Now we will perform the arithmetic operation "addition" of two components with the sign "+". "+" + "+" = "-", resulting in a result with the sign "-". The "-" sign is a combination of such factors - so called "sloppy" process, I had to thoroughly wash the razor and shaving brush. I swarmed, and decided to create this thread in the hope that users respond to the oil, and prompt, I do not. Apparently the oil, it is not my option (for now). Perhaps I can find the correct algorithm shaving oil.

Привет Enrico! Спасибо за участие в нити ).
    В этом эксперименте с маслом, ( обозначим масло знаком "+", это хороший продукт и сможет улучшить моё бритьё ( обозначим моё стандартное бритьё знаком "+", это сочетание лезвие - бритва - мыло - кисть для бритья, которое приносит устраивающий меня результат). Теперь мы выполним арифметическое действие "сложение" двух составляющих со знаком "+". "+" +"+" = "-", в результате чего получился результат со знаком "-".
    Знак "-" это сочетание таких факторов - так называемый "неряшливый" процесс, мне пришлось тщательно отмывать бритву и кисть для бритья. Конечно я расстроился, и решил создать эту нить, в надежде, что откликнуться пользователи масла, и подскажут, что я делаю не так. Видимо масло, это не мой вариант ( пока). Возможно мне удастся найти правильный алгоритм бритья с маслом.

9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@AIDm what kind of foam/soap do you use? I don’t know how canned foam reacts with the pre-shave oil, because we don’t use it. We each use shave soap & a brush, which works just fine. Als, we have not discussed what oil you use. We use a blend of 25% castor oil and 75% sweet almond oil.

AlDm likes this.
  10. AlDm

AlDm Well-Known Member

Sars-s welcome! I answer your question. Soap (in a jar, closer to the cream) TOBS. Oil - a mixture of castor and vegetable (sunflower) oil. I can not say in%, I mixed about 1/3 castor and 2/3 sunflower. Apparently the mixture is unsuccessful.
    I read on the forums and watched videos where coconut oil was used. In our locality, coconuts do not grow), I wanted to buy remotely. But I have not made a purchase yet.

Sars-s приветствую! Отвечаю на ваш вопрос. Мыло ( в баночке, ближе к крему) TOBS. Масло - смесь касторового и растительного (подсолнечного) масла. Не могу сказать в %, смешал примерно 1/3 касторового и 2/3 подсолнечного. Видимо смесь неудачная.
    Читал на форумах и смотрел видео где использовали масло кокоса. В нашей местности кокосы не растут), хотел купить дистанционно. Но ещё не сделал покупку.

11. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

For me,
    water opens the microscopic scales of the hair, making the hair stiffer and easier to cut.
    Tallow is hydrofobic, it prevents the hairs from getting soaked.

Soap removes the tallow in order for the water to be able to penetrate the hair.

Oil or grease or any other pre shave prevents the water from doing the job, making shaving more difficult and more straining for the edge.

The second function from soap is providing a protective layer.

I tried shaving with different kinds of oil, they all, even the mineral baloistoil, provide some gliding, they allow you to see where you are going to shave, but they dont soften or stiffen the hair making reaching a bbs shave difficult.

If you have a very dry skin, a sun/ windbeaten skin, or wrinkles, prehydrating the skin before the shave seems a good idea, but you will need to massage the soap a bit harder for it to remove the hydrofobic film on the hair in order to cut the hair as easy as without the oil/ creme.

Some soaps do a pretty good job hydrating the skin, making a pre shave a waste of time for anyone.

12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I beg to differ. The razor has to go over a lot of skin & not every bit of that is covered with hair. I have found that pre-shave oil reduces the razor friction, as does my husband. Not everyone experiences that, but since we do, it is not a waste of our time or effort.

Ijustmissedthe50s and AlDm like this.
  13. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I did use Pre-Shave Oil when I first started back on wet shaving. After a few months I did without using it and didn't really notice a difference either way. But, since I do have sensitive skin and at times I get a redness on my skin, mostly due to weather conditions, I will apply PSO, just to make sure.

Ijustmissedthe50s, AlDm and Sara-s like this.