So pondering has produced results!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Joe Nobles, May 10, 2018.

1. Joe Nobles

Joe Nobles Well-Known Member

Back on the 25th I kicked a post out talking about not being sure that I was all that taken with a pair of Ever Ready's I was give. Since they seemed to be on par with DE's but I didn't quite like the primitiveness of the 1912 Ever Ready and the 1924 Ever Ready shovel head. In my hands they seem very clunky, heavy and I really dislike the noisiness of the shave.

So a kindly forum member sent me a couple of injectors to try. Today was the first time dip into the injector pool. I injected a new blade into a Schick G4, lathered up and shaved away. The first thing I noticed was that the bulk was way down compared to even the DE's I normally use. These tools have great maneuverability and they are little lighter than most of the DE's I have (the exception being my '59 Tech). With that being said I did pick up a few nicks along the chin line and the "Adam's Apple" area, but I give that to this being the first go round.

Injectors are pretty cool over all. I like the process of loading a blade with the little metal injector tool/blade bank. So this does add a little zing to the whole process that gives it that certain something that sets it apart, kinda like loading a Leica camera! It's a little weird but it's not work.

So I'll stick with SE's for the fun of the difference, probably using the Schick much more than the Ever Ready's. Indeed I'm actually willing to trade the 1912 Ever Ready for an British Rocket if there is any one out there that can swing that it would be great (I'm an big Anglophile). Also what are my choices for sources of refill blades besides Schick.

Any thoughts?

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  2. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

Glad you suck with the SEs!

I think you'll really enjoy using injectors, they're great shavers. I've got a sneaking suspicion, though, that you'll pull out the 1912 again after some time...

For blades, there are 3 options that I know of. I've only tried the yellow package Schicks, can't comment on the others.
    • Schick Injector
    • Schick Proline
    • Personna Injector
    91oTaebfrGL._SY355_.jpg

wp399c8be2_06.png

Personna-Mini-Hair-Shaper-Injector-Blades-20-Blades.jpg

RyX and Jim99 like this.
  3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I call CE fodder.
    Way to call a guy out, I'm sure he'll get better with the se's,. lol

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    RyX, Linuxguile and PLAla like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Primotenore, RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Note that the Schick proline blades will have to be loaded first into a Schick magazine to inject it into the razor. The Personna magazine works, but is made cheaply and can cause difficulty when injecting blades. However, both are excellent blades and are reasonably priced.

For the first go-around, I suggest you keep it simple and get the regular Schick blades in the injector magazine.

RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  7. Joe Nobles

Joe Nobles Well-Known Member

@Jayaruh I might, but the wife is getting suspicious, she knows that I'm a victim of RAD and GAS .

No tellin' where things might go. So far I've accumulated a nice collection with very little outlay. The few odd things I still want to add to my collection need to come either dirt cheap/free or via trades. The items I'm looking for a nicer Slim adjustable and a UK Rocket.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    Jim99 likes this.
  8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I use both SE's and DE's and agree on the maneuverability part. I have a goatee and trimming the edges with a Schick is a bit easier than say a Gillette razor. But both give me great shaves overall.

Jim99 likes this.
  9. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Ted Pella also makes Injector Blades, though I suspect they might be the same as the Personnas. I'm not very fond of them. The Yellow Package Schick blades are great, though.

Jim99 likes this.
  10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Ted Pella are Personnas.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk