Protecting Bluetip From Oxidation

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Juno, May 13, 2018.

1. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

I recently found a mint Bluetip with case. I cleaned it up and put it away, Today I noticed 3 small dots of oxidation on the collar. I got them off with flitz and q-tips. How can I protect this to prevent oxidation? I've never even used it and now I'm afraid to because its so gorgeous as it is. I don't want to ruin it. I have a beater I can use. I was thinking a coat of mineral oil?

2. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Pure nitrogen atmosphere environment.

Juno, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Clean the corrosion off, dry the aluminum, and seal with a wax based product. Salts are the cause of most aluminum rust and probably come from your hands while using the razor.

TobyC, Frijolero and jimjo1031 like this.
  4. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Keeping it dry is definitely key to avoiding galvanic corrosion between the brass head and the aluminum handle, same as a Super Adjustable.

brit, TobyC, Frijolero and 1 other person like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

was it corroding before you cleaned it?

TobyC likes this.
  6. spot705

spot705 Active Member

I second these ideas of cleaning and sealing and keeping dry.

Was the oxidation located right where the head meets the handle?
    If so, I think the nickel plating may have come off the head allowing contact with the aluminum of the handle. Aluminum/brass contact will have galvanic corrosion, where aluminum/nickel not so much.

As a side note bare aluminum “flash” corrodes almost instantly when exposed to air. This gives it its common dull shine. This kind of corrosion is not like rust on an old Buick, but actually seals the aluminum from further deterioration.

Don’t be afraid to use this beauty. It is a wonderful razor and gives a mild shave. If it is destined for the display case, you can get a toolbox corrosion inhibitor from your local hardware store to keep discoloration to a minimum. The silica packets from your next electronic purchase work too.

7. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

No. It was preserved in a layer of soap film residue

TobyC and brit like this.
  8. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

The oxidation spots were on the collar. They were not there 2 days ago. I gotb
    them off but want to prevent any more. I hadbplanned to use it but may not now. What a pita!

9. brit

brit in a box

then a good coat of wax should help..