COOPER RAZOR OWNERS CLUB (CRC)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Herm2502, Jan 4, 2018.

1. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yes I found the Yaqi head a perfect match for the Cooper baseplate.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Herm2502 likes this.
  2. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Oh my, you need to find a NEW. Some feel they are the best Gillette razors made.

Herm

gorgo2 likes this.
  3. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Back from the beauty salon!
    EA015FF2-820F-4F45-9C14-EDBCA2CECF59.jpeg
    Looks fantastic!

brit, BigMark83, PLANofMAN and 5 others like this.
  4. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

5. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

John Ruschmeyer likes this.
  6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Jorvaljr and John Ruschmeyer like this.
  7. John Ruschmeyer

Get it yet? Any impressions?

Jorvaljr likes this.
  8. Linuxguile

SOTD MAYhem 14th
    [​IMG]

Stirling Mentholated Pre-Shave Soap
    Cooper MonoBilt
    Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp Stainless (4)
    [​IMG]
    Italian Barber Amici
    Yaqi Mysterious Space (24mm Finest Fan, Frigate Class)
    Baxter of California Shave Tonic and ASB

This morning the Cooper MonoBilt proved once again why it is king. Super easy and super smooth. It was one of those shaves where you keep checking to see if you actually have a blade in the razor. I've also been quite impressed with the 7 O'Clock Permasharp Stainless blades from India. To me they are just as sharp and smooth as the Super Platinum and hang out in the top tier along with the finest Russian steel. With only two more shaves left of the Amici I will dedicate myself to finishing it off this week! Lasts but not least the Yaqi Finest fan performed excellently. It had more backbone then the sivertip but not as much as the finest bulb. None of the Yaqi badger brushes that I have tried have has any scritch to them and have only shed a couple of hairs of their first few latherings. Have a great day my friends!

jtspartan, gorgo2 and Jorvaljr like this.
  9. Jorvaljr

It’s mild for sure. If you tighten the handle to much the head closes up and it won’t shave right. It’s super light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herm2502 likes this.
  10. John Ruschmeyer

Interesting... Any idea what material?

Jorvaljr likes this.
  11. Jorvaljr

Looks like plastic to me but I can’t tell between plastic and Bakelite anyway. I think what happens is if you tighten down too much on the screw it forces the center down too much and the plastic gives way to the pressure. I did that and I had zero blade gap on one side. The center screw looks steel to me but I don’t know if it is or isn’t.

12. Jorvaljr

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

New member to the club. I have a question about the monobilt, what type of finish do they have? I haven't received mine yet but I want to clean and polish it before I put it into use.

Edit
    NVM the answer is towards the beginning of this thread.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    Linuxguile likes this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Here it is, the newest member to the club cleaned and polished. I had to make a minor tweak to the clip so the blades would sit flat on the base plate on the shoulders without bowing and file out a small burr in one of the teeth but other than that this thing is in as close to mint condition as I've come across thus far.

pic1.jpg pic2.jpg

16. Linuxguile

Nice example! When do we get the shave report ?

BBS likes this.
  17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Should be sometime next week.

Herm2502, Linuxguile and Jorvaljr like this.
  18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The monobilt is getting moved up to this week. Expect reviews by the end of the week.

Herm2502 likes this.
  19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Mt first impressions of the monobilt. This is one smooth shaver, lots of blade feel but if you go slow and use that as feedback to determine pressure this thing shaves as close as any razor I can think of that I've used without any major nicks or irritation. The only thing you need to watch out for is when you angle shave on the corner of the blade ends. It is easy to nick yourself with the corners of the blade if not careful but that is true of most any razor without end guards. Only difference is how much pressure before it nicks you, this one needs very little to do so. Is it an Oliver Cromwell Aristocrat killer I don't know just yet. Even if it isn't I can already say for sure when I par down my collection and rotation of shavers I use, this one is staying. The only con I can say going for this razor is gums up quickly during shaving unlike a lot of other razors so you spend more time rinsing and cleaning during shaving.

Question for anyone who owns the solid knurl handle style monobilt, is it any different of a shaver or just the same razor with a different handle? If I can pick a second one up that isn't overpriced I will.

brit, Linuxguile and jtspartan like this.
  20. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The razors are identical. The only change is on the handle knurling.

Edit: I've never noticed any clogging with this or any other open comb design. However, this razor was designed to hold the blade in the razor (that's what the tab is for) during the post shave rinse.

Also to answer a question earlier in the thread, they are chrome plated, which is why most of the ones you will see today are in such good condition. Chrome is harder than nickel.

brit and Herm2502 like this.