RazoRock 400 Knot Removal and Swap.

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by DaltonGang, May 22, 2018.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I received this RazoRock 400 the other day. I'm not a fan of Synthetic Knots. So, when I ordered the brush, I also ordered a Whipped Dog High Mountain Badger Knot, knowing I would swap the knots.

Before the operation.

P5190211.JPG

After 5 minutes in a Vegetable steamer. The hairs separated from the plug inside. No saving the knot. At first, I held it for 5-10 minutes in front of the vent, which gave it a good steam, but it didn't show signs of loosening. So, into the steamer basket it went.
    I will next have to meticulously dremel the glue plug out, and try not to mare the finish. If anyone else has ideas, I am open to suggestions.

P5220221.JPG

P5220222.JPG

2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Just wrap the ferrule up in duct tape, just in case, and use the Dremel.

Douglas Carey and DaltonGang like this.
  3. DaltonGang

I will do that, after I give it a good boil, in water. I noticed that when I pulled out the knot, the glue was slightly soft. When the handle fully cooled, the glue was rock hard. Safest method first.

Douglas Carey and jimjo1031 like this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Who knows, if it gets soft enough, you might be able to pull it out, probably in pieces. If you use the Dremel, it might be better to do it while the knot is hard. You might gum up the bit while the knot is soft.

5. DaltonGang

My thinking exactly. Thanks.

Douglas Carey and jimjo1031 like this.
  6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Subscribed. :eatdrink013:

7. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Stick it in the freezer, then whack the glue with a small chisel or screwdriver and hammer. The glue might shatter like rock candy and fall out leaving a clean hole.

8. DaltonGang

Success!!!!!

Boiling the ferrule in a pan of water, for a few minutes softened it up. It chipped away, and crumbled, when pried with a small
    Flathead Screwdriver. I had to reheat it three times, because it cooled quickly. When I approached the bottom, most of the remaining plug came out. I then just scraped away with the Screwdriver. This was remarkably easy, and I would do this way again, in a heartbeat.

Glue Plug out. Next will be the Whipped Dog High Mountain Badger Knot being set in Epoxy.

P5220223.JPG

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    lloydrm, AGHisBBS, RyX and 5 others like this.
  9. DaltonGang

FYI, this is very soft Aluminum, that they use. If you chiseled on the inside, and set the end on a hard surface, the side touching the hard surface would surely dent. Good thinking though.

Douglas Carey and TobyC like this.
  10. pork

pork New Member

Very nice work. How deep is the ferrule?

Douglas Carey likes this.
  11. DaltonGang

Sorry, I didn't measure it.

12. DaltonGang

I epoxied the 24 mm Whipped Dog High Mountain Badger inside, and let it cure. There was room to spare, for the knot. The Ferrule looked like it would fit a 26 mm knot.

Finished.

P5230225.JPG

brit, RyX, targa88 and 6 others like this.
  13. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

DaltonGang than you for posting. This is very interesting. Great to see the process and great looking final product.

RyX likes this.
  14. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Does it have any backbone? Looks over soft.

15. DaltonGang

It's fluffy, and it holds a lot of lather. Not even close to what my Omega Boars backbones are.

RyX and TobyC like this.
  16. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

That's cool,... you should try a badger from Maggard, firm, full, AND soft, I love 'em.

This is a Maggard, and it's dry in the pic, not bloomed.

100_2327_50_1_50.jpg 100_2326_50_1_50.jpg

Shojo510, brit, lloydrm and 2 others like this.
  17. DaltonGang

Mine is wet, when the picture was taken. I don't think that made a whole lot of difference. I will say, it is Very tightly packed knot.

RyX and TobyC like this.
  18. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Nice!!!

19. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    If the ferrule is deep is there not a chance of an air bubble behind your knot or if not completely sealed with epoxy and place for water to accumulate and rot the knot from the back outwards ?

20. DaltonGang

I set it in good. I also twisted it, and added pressure, to make sure it was seated well. . As I have mentioned, the diameter of the hole was larger than the knot, about 2 mm extra room.

jimjo1031 likes this.