Avon fans: if you had to pick ONE...

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by gorgo2, May 22, 2018.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

If you had to choose only one vintage Avon frag, what would be your choice?

I like them all and some more than others but for me...maybe because I'm getting older...I've decided it would be Blue Blazer. I have a small quantity of the original (about 2 bottles' worth) that should last awhile with only special use. Being from the early-mid '60s it has that musky undernote pretty much all their men's stuff did/does, but for me it's their closest thing to pure, clean barbershop... definitely resembles Clubman but not cloying. It's got a classy cleanness to it, simple and uncomplicated, sharp and fresh, not unlike a modern marine/aquatic fragrance, making it the most all-around wearable Avon I own. Nice when noticed but unobtrusive and not demanding of your attention. If you ever come across some, don't hesitate. It's pretty rare.

What would be your choice?

Wild Country? (herbal)
    Spicy/Brisk Spice? (Old Spice clones)
    Deep Woods? (green/herbal)
    Tribute? (floral)
    Imperator? (a bizarre floral)
    Excalibur? (woody)
    Windjammer? (barbershop)
    Tai Winds? (oriental)
    Oland? (liquid smoke)
    Leather? (leather and distilled manliness)
    Blend 7? (not sure...musky)
    Bravo? (bright and cloying)
    Light Musk? (nice)
    Island Lime? (wonderful)
    Granite? (cold, hard, formal, but nice)
    Clint? (follow-up to Excalibur, I think)
    original Bay Rum (one of the best)

PS I see there's current or at least recent production Blue Blazer but I have no idea what it's like.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    MR41, ghostlife, RyX and 3 others like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'd choose Leather.

3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

My favorite is Leather, but Island Lime, Spice, and Oland are very nice.

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Can't go wrong with Leather. About as manly as it gets.

Enrico and Paul Turner like this.
  5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Wild Country. I like the scent and it reminds me of my father who wore it "back in the day."

steve207, ghostlife, RyX and 2 others like this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Spicy, and Brisk Spice are two different scents. Brisk Spice is closer to Shulton Old Spice , than Spicy. I like the scent of the Brisk Spice better, but it's harder to come by, and usually more expensive. Avon Spicy is sweeter scented, more plentiful, and less expensive.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    gorgo2 likes this.
  7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Mesmerize

If she's interested, it'll seal the deal.

gorgo2, Enrico and ghostlife like this.
  8. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

oh, a chance-taker, eh? :)

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

All I know is that it's more recent but I've never come across it.

10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Currently wearing Windjammer spiked with lime EO. Nice, very nice, if a bit powdery. It's barbershop too.

11. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

My two favorites are windjammer and deep woods, but they are the only two I have tried.

12. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

The only scent that has spoken to me thus far is Tai Winds. I have a rhino bottle and a shave brush bottle that I picked up, but to be honest; I have not used either of them in a while .

gorgo2 and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  13. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

Everest is a favorite, followed by Oland.

14. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

I think Everest.If I could take only one.If it was one for warm weather-Everest.1 for coldweather -Oland .

gorgo2 likes this.
  15. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Leather! That’s the one!

Paul Turner, gorgo2 and Enrico like this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Everest was nice. You'd probably like Granite, too...it actually had a dry, almost mineral (but pleasant) scent.

17. Michael W

Michael W Active Member

I only have one Avon after shave I got in a lot I purchased. It is shaped like a Chess piece and has Wild Country in it.
    So Im gonna have to go with that being my favorite Avon after shave :) it is good for sure.

rbilly and gorgo2 like this.
  18. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Now that i have tried more scents, picking one would be hard but at this point it would be spicy, over the last week I have grown to love it.

gorgo2 likes this.
  19. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Alright so in the past few weeks i have been able to sample more. If i had to choose one it would definately be spicy, followed by leather. I also tried brisk spice and it does not really smell to different the spicy. My least favorite is deepwoods. I also tried tai winds and found i dont like the way it smells right out of the bottle but after dry down it is very nice. I think over the summer im going to stock up on spicy. I may try and sell or trade my r41 for some, thanks to a 4 month construction job which the owner decided to not pass on the payroll taxes he deducted from everyones paycheck on to the govt and then moved to argentina, the next month or two may be tight cash wise. Nothing a good shave wont cure though.

gorgo2 likes this.
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Sorry to hear that.

rbilly likes this.