Silvertips badger or HMB

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by CastleShave, May 5, 2018.

1. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

I just wanted to let you know that kent has agreed to send me a brand new brush with no questions asked!! this is phenomenal customer service I have not even sent them a photo. I guess my description was all they needed.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2018
    RyX, Enrico, PLANofMAN and 1 other person like this.
  2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Good to hear!

CastleShave likes this.
  3. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Great news.

CastleShave likes this.
  4. CastleShave

So I decided to pull the trigger on another very expensive brush... I bought the Shavemac Silvertip 2 band badger D-01 28mm knot. I’m still questioning myself if the purchase is worth the money. But the details and reviews of this particular knot seemed like it matches my criteria for a desired brush very well. I am also not pleased as I wanted a much nicer handle like a wolf whiskers but honestly I found him to be rude and very much turned me off from purchasing there. Not that he said anything bad I just didn’t get good vibes off of him like he lost his passion for the trade. Anyway I tried other places as well like dogwood and something that starts with an M on Etsy lol. I know I will enjoy the knot from shavemac.

Frijolero likes this.
  5. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Got one in Silvertip and it is excellent - very soft, not scratchy, and enormous
    How much again? $42 or something? Money well spent.

6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Me too. Mine is fantastically soft.

CastleShave likes this.
  7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Nice!

8. CastleShave

Despite the efforts received from Kent, I have not heard from them or received shipping info. I have followed up with no response. I have now processed an order with Shavemac for a 28mm 2band silvertip badger bulb knot D-01. Got tired of looking for something that isn't a Chinese insert. My mother always said to me when you try to save money you spend double.

Frijolero likes this.
  9. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Understand that since Friday the Royal Mail tracking has been down so Kent may not be able to give you much information.

Frijolero likes this.
  10. CastleShave

Lol 42? I think I would have bought 20. It ran me $340 or so

11. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

The Maseto 30mm silvertip??

They're slightly more expensivethan i thought - £45 delivered. Whats that in dollars?

12. CastleShave

60 or 70 CAD I think US is near Par with Euro

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2018
  13. CastleShave

Nvm US is 1.15 to 1 euro in other words 1USD equals .85 Euro

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2018
  14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It is worth the price. I can personally assure you that you will receive a knot that is impeccibly formed, and denser than any knot you will ever use again... In fact, you may question whether it is usable. If you persevere, and lather it daily for 30 to 45 days, it will break in. You will need to lather it like it slandered your mother.

As for Wolf Whiskers, he is a one man operation. He has set up his business to be as fair as he can make it, and he has explained the process on his website. He is very tired of people asking him to bend the rules "just this once." If he was short and abrupt with you, this is why. Every email he answers takes time away that he could be using to make handles. Personally, I think it's crazy that he reads and replies to all his emails. It is a credit to him that he does so.

Edit: I have a D01 knot in a wolf whiskers handle, and it is my most prized shaving possession. I use it almost daily. It is a functional work of art.

CastleShave, Frijolero and Linuxguile like this.
  15. CastleShave

Honestly that is exactly what I wanted to do! I love his designs and his handles. I just wasn't impressed with his responses. I don't doubt he is rammed, with artwork like that he should be. I don't like his strategy in sorting out customers. I feel like he should do a quarterly waitlist if you make it great if you don't reapply later. I'm currently on his raffle. Haven't been selected so I will find out Sunday I think. If I do I'm going to get another knot from Shavemac. Would you happen to know how long it takes with Shavemac? Never purchased from them before

16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    No clue. I won my knot (brush) at the Seattle shave con raffle. Accidentally dropped the brush and chipped the handle, so I extracted the knot for use in another handle, which happened to be a wolf whiskers handle.

As for WW, he used to run a semi-quarterly wait-list. Computer jockeys were using automated scripts to jump the line as soon as it opened, resulting in some folks who would get on the list 7-10 times in a row, and others who were trying to get on the list the old fashioned manual way, failing time after time. The current raffle system is his way of giving the finger to the computer "hackers."

I got on the list before he was really popular, back when it took a couple hours to fill the wait list, instead of the current 5-10 seconds.

17. CastleShave

Now I understand his frustration. Was not aware of this. I have never placed a knot into a brush. Would you say it is difficult. What tools do you need and how do you avoid glue touching the hairs

18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    It's dead simple. If you are concerned about making mistakes, use clear silicone caulk instead of epoxy. It holds just as well, but it will allow you to remove the knot at a later date without having to make a choice between destroying the knot and saving the handle, or vice versa.

For a permanent install, you use a small amount of two part epoxy. Put about a fingernail's thickness of it on the bottom of the hole in the handle, and use a toothpick to make sure the sides of the hole are coated halfway to the opening. Insert knot and give it a half twist to bed it in place. If any epoxy seeps to the top of the opening, quickly wipe it away. The epoxy sets about ten minutes after mixing, so you must work quickly. It fully cures in 24 hours.

For silicone, you just put a dollop in the bottom of the hole and insert the knot. It also cures in about 24 hours. To remove the knot at a later date, pull firmly.

CastleShave likes this.
  19. CastleShave

Great advice thanks!

PLANofMAN likes this.