Mild Shavers Thread-Techs,TTOs,Anything mild!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MR41, Mar 4, 2018.

?

Do you consider a Gillette Red Tip mild?

1. Yes

2. No

3. It Depends on the day

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. brit

brit in a box

and the crats...l to r -- #16, #22 ,46-47 ,48-50 20180519_232641.jpg

2. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I don’t remember seeing those 2 before. Thanks for the pics.

brit likes this.
  3. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Found this the other day at a local antique store, was killing time waiting for the fire alarm at bass pro to get sorted out so i could buy my fishing license. Picked it up for 15 bucks. Always good to have a back up.
    20180521_184728.jpg

4. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

That is a nice find; and at that price!

william beer likes this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Just curious, pre or post war? Oh sorry, I just answered my question ... looks like pre WWII; very nice! :happy088:

1938-1941 Tech beschriftet Logo.jpg

6. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Yes prewar. It has become my favorite razor.

Enrico and MR41 like this.
  7. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

8. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

9. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Ill be back to using my tech next week, wanted to get some shaves in on the super adjustable, its a great razor but still prefere my tech.

william beer, Frijolero and MR41 like this.
  10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Late to this party.
    I had a '55 President, Diplomat, 47-49 Aristocrat, all three I would call "mild". Included in my "mild" list are my Feather AS-D2, '64 Tech, '56 Super-Speed and my Weishi.
    My Red Tip and Parat, I would classify as slightly more aggressive than the aforementioned razors. My Fatboy, well, runs the gamut from mild to fairly aggressive. Surprisingly, my 1940 Milord Tech, I would classify as moderately aggressive; hard to explain.
    I am waiting on a 1908 Old Type and a '38 Senator to arrive. I am curious as to how these two will shave.

11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Stahly/SuperMax BDT. New handle is perfect, in the spirit of the original but on a human scale. And a killer shave as always.[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

brit, william beer, MR41 and 2 others like this.
  12. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I’m very interested to hear how the senator, especially, shaves and feels!

13. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Single Pass Evening Head Shave. Baily Mk2/Astra SS. I added a single shim so the entire length of the blade is supported more fully (this may help but is certainly not necessary) If you have the skill to effectively use a mild razor this is a real eye-opener. Best mild razor I've used full stop. ATG performance is unmatched. [​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

brit, MR41, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  15. Primotenore

Article Team
    The Senator shaves like a dream. The blade exposure is minimal. Andrew suggested giving the handle a quarter-turn after tightening, which interestingly enough is on the original Gillette instructions. I am going to try that tomorrow. Beautiful razor; easy to maneuver, nimble in the hand and a pleasure to use. IMG_5583 copy.jpg

brit, MR41, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  16. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Fully closed my Sheraton is more mild then any tech or Super Speed

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

17. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

After messing around with some more aggressive razors for the past month (Qshave and Parker Variant), Im back to my Weishi. The Qshave was nice but after a couple weeks something went wrong with the blade alignment and I liked the Parker but it had uneven blade exposure, so I sent it back. People can say what they want about Weishis being too mild but for me, they work well and I can even shave ATG with almost no nicks or irritation. It seems like most people who say they are too mild are using middle of the road blades in them. Ive found that you almost have to use a Feather or Kai in them. Im going to try a Dorco Prime in mind and see how it does.

MR41, Enrico and Edison Carter like this.
  18. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Most people claiming a razor is too mild simply do not have the skills to keep the razor at the right angle. When the result is not as close as they want they invent a story about how coarse beard they have and that the razor was too mild. Even a mild razor is nothing but a blade holder and with a bad angle the blade will not get close enough.

AGHisBBS, Frijolero, kfbrady and 2 others like this.
  19. Primotenore

Article Team
    I understand what you are saying, but, I am hesitant to completely agree, especially with shavers posting on this thread.
    I think there's a difference between getting a close shave and at the same time commenting that the razor is mild vs. blaming the razor's "mildness" for getting a bad shave. I am completely able to "find and maintain" the correct angle on my "mild" razors, achieving BBS shaves regularly. I am also competent finding and maintaining the correct angle on my 2011 R41, which is anything but a mild razor.

MR41 and Linuxguile like this.
  20. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I have no doubt people posting in this thread are able to keep the angle and I am very sure @Badgerstate is able to keep the angle because otherwise he would not like Weishi. In my limited way of expressing myself (I am not a native English speaker and because of this I might sometimes unintentionally sound arrogant), I tried to say that if you rotate away from the right angle the blade will get lifted away from the skin, either by the cap or by the bar working like a hinge. With more blade exposure you have a bigger range of working angles before the blade is lifted away from the skin, thus easier to use. My point is that if one is not able to maintain the angle allowing the blade to touch the skin, no matter how you change blade you will not get a close shave. It is my own explanation to why some people do not like mild razors.