~~~ best modern cartridge razor ~~~

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by idan, May 23, 2018.

?

~~~ best modern cartridge razor ~~~

1. Gillette Mach 3

2. Gillette Mach 3 Turbo

3. Gillette Fusion

4. Gillette Fusion Proglide

5. Gillette Fusion Proshield

6. Schick Quattro

7. Schick Hydro 5 Sense

8. Schick Hydro 3

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. T_I

T_I Active Member

2x '85 Volvo 340 (first admission to the road on the exact same day), 2x '86 Volvo 780 (one of the 1st year, only available in Italy at the time, probably oldest in private hands, the other is the first licensed in The Netherlands) and a '86 740 as Daily driver

Linuxguile, brit and Keithmax like this.
  2. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Mach3 disposables are £3.49 for 3 here, and five for £5.00 on promotion.

3. T_I

T_I Active Member

In The Netherlands Gillette has the complete market, you'll have to search for Wilkinson, some shops have their own brand cartridges (Best known of those are Aldi and Lidl). The SE/DE razors are unobtainable outside the 2-3 major cities (even inside those you have to know where to find them and then you pay a premium, as it's a niche market). Gillette almost has a monopoly on shaving, which doesn't help to get an affordable shave.

At the moment Boldking is advertising with cheap blades, at 2.50 a blade.

4. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

It wasn't that bad when I lived in the Netherlands. Ik kom uit Amstelveen :).

5. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Well I found Wilkinson Sword in all the major stores :)

https://www.ah.nl/producten/scheerbenodigdheden/merk=Wilkinson
    https://www.etos.nl/verzorging/wilkinson
    https://www.kruidvat.nl/wilkinson-sword-hydro-5-navul-scheermesjes/p/2254932
    https://www.trekpleister.nl/wilkinson-sword-hydro-5-navul-scheermesjes/p/2254932

I used to get my DE blades from Hema, and they are still available ;) ...

https://www.hema.nl/winkel/mooi-gez...erenverzorging/10-pak-scheermesjes-(11700115)

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    PLANofMAN likes this.
  6. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

7. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

8. T_I

T_I Active Member

The webshop of the last is known, as I bought my sampler pack there to test which blade was best for me.
    The shops themselves... a 1-1.5h drive for me. (at least the one in Leiden)

I was looking at the cartridges of the simplest version mentioned by OP (https://www.ah.nl/producten/product/wi59807/gillette-mach3-scheermesjes) to compare it with DE.
    It's amazing how this world is being wasted, produce more waste each week and you pay less...

I'm sticking to the DE with feather blades. Even at Erik's prizes, 5.30 per 10 blades, it's cheaper and you waste less. (that is, when you can pick them up, national postage is making this option more expensive then the disposable option) Looking internationally, including shipping, having a shave for 20 cent a week sounds good enough to me.

Keithmax likes this.
  9. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

A gold dollar straigth razor a strop and a cheap natural stone, €50 for decades and no waste.
    Or dont shave at all? That way you dont waste resources on shaving soap or aftershave,...

nWho recycles used DE blades?

If these blades are the only thing wasted, you commute by bicycle, never take a plane or boat, use lokal products, ...
    It is fine with me :)

Keithmax likes this.
  10. T_I

T_I Active Member

Ehm, with the amount fo cuts I manage to get with a safety razor when not concentrating... I think I'd better stick to the DE side. (safer for me)

Just saving on blades and soap, can't stand aftershave (the smell... yuck).
    BTW tried that, beard looks completely off, ingrown hairs,... nah, better to have a bad shave then a beard for me. (but I prefer a good shave over a bad one)

I stick with just not flying, good enough for me. (even my old car is in it's life less polluting then 1 plane holiday)

11. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

It was meant as ironic

But a straigth razor can be honed verry soft making cutting up difficult!

Keithmax likes this.
  12. T_I

T_I Active Member

It is an option, once I manage to get myself shaved without damage with a DE. (BTW cutting up with a cartridge should be difficult as well, managed even that without much effort ;) )

Every method has it's pros and cons, with the easiest and most expensive being cartridge razors and the one requiring most skill, but cheapest the straight razor.
    Everybody has to make their own choice. I went for the middle option and compromise on both sides, needs a bit of skill (not bleeding to death being a pro when you mess up big time) and it won't break the bank. ;)

13. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

I find a straight easier compared to most DE combinations, but teach his won!

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The Atra is still made so technically it's still modern. That'd be my vote. As it is, the Proglide.

15. ajc347

ajc347 Well-Known Member

I’d add another two razors into the mix; the Feather MR3 Neo and the F3 Samurai Edge.

They’re by far the best carts I’ve used. The MR3 Neo is very sharp (and more efficient than any other cart I’ve used) and the F3 is very smooth.

The F3 handle is something of a monstrosity but works surprisingly well, whilst the MR3 handle is a work of art.

The other good thing is that all of the F system carts and handles that Feather make are fully compatible (so an MR3 cart will work on a F3 and a F2 Neo handle and vice versa). It is a very versatile system.

They’re definitely worth trying if you can get your hands on them. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

wristwatchb likes this.
  17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I believe it was @macaronus who sent me a tuck of Hema blades many years ago. They were much thinner and more flexible than any blade I've tried since. I don't recall how they shaved, but they threw me for a loop when I first pulled one out of it's wrapper.
    That razor is unusually ugly, even for a Feather. Is it as unergonomic as it looks? Is it just me or does it give off strong "I was inspired by Count Dooku's lightsaber," vibes to anyone else?

Also, what is that little switch for?

18. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

19. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

It's claimed to have a firmer control.
    For refine / precision cut.

What in my Fusion is the backside blade.
    I think.

wristwatchb and PLANofMAN like this.
  20. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If I'm understanding the video correctly, the blades float on some sort of spring suspension, and the switch locks that out for when you need it.

Almost like turning a Mach 3 into an Atra when you need it. It doesn't sound like a bad design, especially for head shaving.

Edit: I also see that it is backwards compatible with their other 2 blade and 3 blade cartridge systems. If I was still regularly cartridge shaving, I would probably wind up with this razor.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
    gorgo2 and wristwatchb like this.