June 2018 30 Day Rule/focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2018.

?

What was your first razor when you saw the light?

1. Weishi/Van der Hagen/ Microtouch

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  2. Gillette TTO (Super Speed, Aristocrat)

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. Gillette Adjustable

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  4. Cheap 3 piece or TTO found online or in a store

15 vote(s)
    40.5%
  5. SE of some kind

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  6. Straight razor - because I was manly like that

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  7. I was eating a cookie, minding my own business, and was given a razor.

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  8. I was eating a cookie, minding my own business, woke up with no memory of the first shave.

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Pretty picture, Jason!

FaceScraper, Drygulch, PLAla and 5 others like this.
  2. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Adam!

Drygulch, 9nein9, PLAla and 3 others like this.
  3. Norcalnewb

Great picture and set up, Joseph!

FaceScraper, RyX, Drygulch and 6 others like this.
  4. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Andrew!

5. Norcalnewb

Excellent black and white pic, Perry!

6. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Jason. I still prefer the Unconditional Surrender, but this is pretty good. It is far up my list.

7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I have not. Due to be delivered today is a tub of Chatillon Lux Pure Lavender soap and a bottle of AS.

8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Thank you Jim.

Norcalnewb, Drygulch, 9nein9 and 4 others like this.
  9. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

SOTD June 1st
    [​IMG]

RazoRock Game Changer
    Gillette Nacet(4)
    Jeeves of Hudson Street Bay Rum
    JR #134
    Stirling Glacial Satsuma

Just enjoyed a quick no prep, shave of opportunity. Since I shaved yesterday I didn't have a whole lot of growth to work with so I did two passes Xtg and Atg. The Nacet in the Game Changer was on point and I ended up with a DFS+. I am noticing that my beard is coming faster then it ever had before which may lead to daily shaving. Have a great day my friends!

Today I am enjoying a Friday at home with Logan since the baby sitter wanted to take a day off. TGIF!!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

MR41, FaceScraper, NCoxSTL and 12 others like this.
  10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

It's officially Friday now. Great pic of Logan.

You have the Bay Rum on the run. Pull out the "Soap Destroyer" and it will be gone.

11. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Enjoy your time at home with Logan today, Andrew! Sounded like a great shave to start the day.

Keithmax, Edison Carter, RyX and 7 others like this.
  12. jtspartan

Thank you, Gentlemen.

Norcalnewb, Drygulch, 9nein9 and 4 others like this.
  13. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

June 1, 2018- Frankenrazor Friday

Razor: Yaqi-Clix Self-Lubricating Razor
    Blade: German Wilkie
    Brush: VdH Boar
    Soap: Williams

A few months ago, Yaqi introduced its "Mellon" Double Open Comb (DOC) razor. It is available from AliExpress in a variety of colors both with and without a handle for a very affordable price. It is also the same head as the Razorock SLOC. It is a fairly mild razor with a lot of blade feel. Since its release, there has been a lot of interest in certain communities of using the cap from the Yaqi with other baseplates, most notably the one from the Pearl OC.

Earlier this week, I received a Clix Five Hundred razor as part of a small bundle. It turns out that I already have a cased one and thought it might be interesting to experiment with this head. This led to today's shave which is a bit of late MAYhem- the Yaqi cap on a Clix baseplate.

The results? This one was a bit intimidating. I really should have looked a bit more closely at the assembled razor and I would have realized that it really needs a deeper baseplate. As it was, the cutting edge was pretty much right out there, making the whole thing more of a devette. I have to say that my technique must have improved as I ended up with a very close shave with nothing more than two weepers and some mild irritation from the Alum. I'm not ready to bump my Fatboy to '9', but it was nice to pull this off.

IMG_0194.JPG

MR41, FaceScraper, Keithmax and 14 others like this.
  14. Linuxguile

Thank you, Clint!
    Thanks Jason! He's keeping me on my toes today!

FaceScraper, RyX, Norcalnewb and 6 others like this.
  15. Linuxguile

Interesting experiment, John! I bought the SLOC got the sole purpose of getting the top cap (and another SS handle)

16. jtspartan

That is an excellent idea! I was just about to jump aboard and say this is my 'Basics' focus as well, and then I realized that would include my two Old Types, two NEWS, the Cooper, a Schick E and probably both the pre-war tech and GEM Jr as well...awesome razors all, but many are daily drivers and not exactly 'back to basics'....:(

17. Linuxguile

Why not just call it premium shaves June then!

FaceScraper, RyX, Norcalnewb and 6 others like this.
  18. jtspartan

Premium Shaves? Another great focus!
    I do try to stay somewhat within range of the monthly focus. I think I'll consider Just the Basics June to be a focus on my original DE set ups for a week and then focus on some 'basic' utilitarian razors- Ball-End Old Type, Pre-War Tech and a 50's Super Speed. I can handle sticking to a few razors, it is the not rotating through different soaps everyday that I struggle with a bit.

19. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

Ok, I'll join in. This gear is as close as I can get to a drugstore/basics set-up.
    Brush - Omega 10005 boar (Shoppers Drug Mart)
    Soap - Proraso Green (Shoppers Drug Mart) and the first soap I ever used that wasn't canned goo.
    Blade - Wilkinson Super Sword Edge NOS made in England (Likely purchased in a Canadian drug store at the time)
    Razor - 1956 Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed (The ubiquitous drug store razor of the post-war era)
    Splash - Aqua Velva Blue (Shoppers Drug Mart)

I will use the Wilkinson blade starting today and use only that blade for the month of June. Some folks here may be familiar with the term "excalibur". That's what I'm talking about. I usually shave every other day so we're looking at around 15-20 shaves on that blade. And speaking of basics, cold water shaving as well.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    MR41, FaceScraper, Keithmax and 12 others like this.
  20. jtspartan

I have Proraso Green cream and an Omega 10005 from the local Shopper's Drug Mart as well. Extracted the knot, though. I've got the AV Ice Sport from the same place, too. Ours here in town still carries the Wilkinson blades as well, albeit at a ridiculous price.
    The one here just started carrying the new Proraso (Wood and Spice?) stuff too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.