Gillette Adjustable Friday ; Toggles, Fat Boys, Slims, and Black Beauties welcome!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by RyX, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Nothing wrong with an adjustable. As long as your not twisting that silly dial during the shave.

Everything else is just girly. I have been at this awhile. No need for training wheels. I turn it up turn it loose and get great smooth shaves....

2. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

What's wrong with "girly"?

I for one rather like girls.

Frijolero and RyX like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

you saying me using it on 5 is girly?

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Nope...never said that at allllll. Not me... Would never be the one to point that out. ME using it on 5 would make ME feel girly.

RyX and brit like this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Being girly is fine for girls....

6. brit

brit in a box

i don t use adjustables often as i like the razors they try to replicate like my new sc etc.i have a single ring and a nice old type i would like to use more.they are always a little rough.is a different angle required with these early razors?

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

If you have not before check out the thread on riding the cap. @RyX can help with that I think. Those 3 peice razors just take a light touch and shallow angle. Once the technique is sorted the shaves are really really really nice. SE rules in my world but the single ring and OLD are favorite DE. I have a few videos on how I use them.

8. brit

brit in a box

i ride the cap with my prewar tech s and new sc ,well all my razors and have great results.more practice with the older ones needed i guess.thank you,gary .will keep my eyes open for more of your videos.

Primotenore and RyX like this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Sounds like you will have no problems. It's all pretty much the same thing.

RyX and brit like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

I can point you in the right direction, but it's Chris @Bama Samurai that teaches the concept. There's a link to his discussion in my signature below.
    Personal testimony; Riding the cap lets me set my 1959 Fat Boy on number nine loaded with a Feather blade. That's my benchmark shave to compare other razors. I apply the idea with all my DE razors. It works well with a Fatip & a Futur clone, too.

The other day I saw Jim @Jayaruh report a shave with his Bunny razor with the comb removed. That leaves the thick injector blade hanging out in the air so I'm guessing he rides the cap, too.

kfbrady and Primotenore like this.
  11. T_I

T_I Active Member

Tested some other settings, 7 on sunday, yesterday 6 and it looks like 5 or 6 will be the sweet-spot for me. (will test 5 later, the Qshave Parthenon arrived yesterday, will do a quick test today with setting 6 , as to compare the scale with the Slim Adjust)

RyX likes this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Gillette Adjustable Friday
    [​IMG]

Proraso Pre Shave
    LaToja Shave Stick
    Jayaruh #292 HMW Badger
    Gillette Super 84
    Astra SP
    CWR
    Thayer's Peach WH
    Tabac AS

I started off with Proraso Pre Shave. The LaToja Shaving Soap face-lathered well with the Jayaruh #292 High Mountain White badger brush. I am really liking the LaToja Shave Stick. It is very slick and lathers easily. I did two passes with the Gillette Super 84 Razor with an Astra SP blade and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayer's Peach WH and then Tabac AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    Primotenore and Linuxguile like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

SOTD 05302018.gif Had an enjoyable beard reduction with the E-4 '59 Fat Boy. Fresh Feather blade performed as expected. Good old fashioned Barbershop scented products from start to finish.

14. kfbrady

[​IMG][/url]

195 with a GSB. My preference is the first of the 4 Fatboy variants. This one is a '58 D4.

The Omega 10066 boar is just ridiculously good for under $10 even if it does have a cheap, plastic handle..

I've been trying various Stirling soaps. The quality is fantastic but I still haven't found a scent I like. So far I've only tried Glastonbury, Tuscany, Island Man and Baker Street. I'm okay with the last one in that list but I'd like something a little cleaner and maybe more sophisticated. Of course it's all very personal and subjective.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

@kfbrady - I share your preference for earlier models. I've found in the wild, cleaned up, & test shaved with a dozen or so Adjustable Gillettes. Slims and Black Beauties just don't give me the same smooth efficient shave of my oldest Fat Boy. At one time I had two E-4's so I did my test of a side by side shave. Same soap, moved the blade back and forth between the two razors. Couldn't tell the difference. When I finished the shave I washed off both razors in preparation of sending the newest wild find to another TSD member. That's when I realized I just couldn't tell which was which. Neal @NCoxSTL got the best razor I've ever owned, or one just like it.

Omega boar brushes! Yup, great knots on chintzy though functional handles. I purchased a new one just to trash the handle, the knot was the prize!
    Stirling Samples.gif
    Ahh, Stirling soaps. Gentleman is a little sweet to my nose. I do like Piacenza for the citrus forward scent. Those two are beef tallow. The other list mutton tallow. Glastonbury is a nice scent if you like patchouli, I do. Port-Au-Prince has me wondering about Electric Sheep. It's going to be either a hard choice or a big order when the time comes.

brit, Frijolero, Primotenore and 3 others like this.
  16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

And it is one of my top three razors! Love it and, as a bonus, it's my birth year and quarter.

Primotenore and RyX like this.
  17. kfbrady

18. kfbrady

Yes, I used to have a couple of nice, cased Slims, a '64 and a '70. Even though Slims were made for twice as many years as Fatboys ('61-'68 rather than '58-'61) changes to them were very minor over those years. So, when a friend showed an interest I gave him the '64 Slim and kept the '70. He still shaves with it although he's using canned foam so I need to work on him some more. One step at a time I guess! ;)

RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

If he uses cologne, find him a matching tallow shave soap & AS. Any old brush will do, but a Yaqi Synth is flashy and inexpensive.

20. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I am finding I dont need to adjust during my shave, if its a normal shave day I set it at 5 for all passes, if its been two days I go higher with it set at 7. I feel like messing with it in the middle of a shave is just going to get soap gunk lodged into the working parts faster, but im not an engineer so who knows. 9 was a bit rough for me the first time I tried it, but i feel like i had to get that out of the way first.

RyX likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.