So, how long has it been, since you stopped using Cartridge Razors?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DaltonGang, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Never used one. Went from electric to a DE on 2014. Woo hoo!!

Herm

Keithmax, RyX, Frijolero and 4 others like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Don't know if it's a testament to my skill, a comment on my frugality or it says something about how thin my whiskers are but I still enjoy carts to great effect, along with DE and the occasional SE, and even a (kinda) shave-worthy straight I get out every now and then. Unless I screw up, which is all on me, none of them give me any intrinsic trouble, leastways not so much that I'd swear off forever. They're just different, that's all.

If you just don't like carts, that's fine and dandy. But in my opinion, there ain't a thing wrong with any cart that technique, which includes prep, can't fix, and dat's a fact, Jack. So-so shaves? Okay, some of them, I'll agree. But if ALL carts always provide you with irritation, there's just got to be another factor at work beside the cart itself. And don't think I've got some kind of mutant super-tough skin because I don't.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    wristwatchb, Keithmax, RyX and 2 others like this.
  3. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Then why are we here??? All razors are the same, doesn't matter which blade you use, don't need soap just use water, blah, blah, blah. Can't talk about politics or religion or sex. That leaves us with boogers and ear wax, I don't want to know about your boogers and earwax!!!! Razors are NOT the same! Handles are NOT the same!!! I will not use a handle that needs two hands and landing gear! All razors are the same???? I'll trade you a nice flare tip Super Speed for a nice Double Ring, and I'll pay shipping both ways!!!!! :angry019:

[​IMG]

Jim99, Keithmax, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  4. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Bama boy thinks all razors are the same, so there is no difference between the electric and the DE, you have wasted your time!!! ;) :p

DaltonGang and cliffb599 like this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

We're not supposed to talk about that. :rolleyes005:

Frijolero, DaltonGang and cliffb599 like this.
  6. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

cliffb599 likes this.
  7. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

:think002:

8. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

4 years

Keithmax and DaltonGang like this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

And if not both, then surely neither!

Paul76 likes this.
  10. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

DaltonGang likes this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Well said. I actually have an Astra that I am thinking of breaking out one day. It was a fine razor back in its day.

12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

It’s been about 6.5 years. I switched to DE around the time I joined this forum. I had been using soap & a brush for a couple of years before that.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    Keithmax and RyX like this.
  13. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

You're not on my level. There's no way you can understand. All bladed single bevel razors present a bevel to the skin at a low angle. When you find one that violates this, I will shed my ignorance.

All razors are the same. If you get bad results, it's you... Not the razor. I can glue a DE blade to a popsicle stick and get irritation free bbs. Why can't you?

wristwatchb likes this.
  14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

It was lack of technique. You'd be fine now after all the SR you've done. @Pilotcld did the experiment in March. It's seamless for SR experts. Not trying to convince you to switch, rather stating your experience might be better now!

wristwatchb, Keithmax, RyX and 2 others like this.
  15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Same here. Spring 2010.

stingraysrock, Keithmax and RyX like this.
  16. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Ah, another self anointed god. Very unfortunate.

Enrico likes this.
  17. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

I gave them up in mid December of 2016. I had never really gotten a shave anywhere near as good with a cart as the results I get with a straight. Every time I shaved I could feel the stubble in less than three hours, so for the most part I just used clippers and kept a short beard for almost 20 years.

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

THAT, I find generally true, a cart shave's smoothness lasts about a day less than DE, give or take. But the shave itself I have no problems with.

Paul76 likes this.
  19. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I never used carts. I used disposibles, and a couple of electrics. Gave those up four years ago.

Paul76 and RyX like this.
  20. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

I’ve used disposable twin blade razors on occasion, mostly when traveling, over the last 14 years but it’s been DE shaving for me otherwise since 2004. No more ingrown hairs and a very nice clean shave and complexion since.