So, how long has it been, since you stopped using Cartridge Razors?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DaltonGang, Jun 1, 2018.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

If your just looking for good shaves you could use a van der hagen super speed clone and get as good of shaves as anything.

Your just flapping your jaws it's kinda funny actually.

Enrico likes this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I was hoping this thread wouldnt turn into a "Cart Bashing" thread, or a thread about "All Razors Are The Same" thread.
    The facts are:
    1. Not all razors shave the same.
    2. Not all faces and skin types are the same.
    3. Many, Many people have facial hair that is prone to irritation, due to skin sensitivity, and the angles the hairs grow out. This has nothing to do with techniques.
    4. Many people are lucky that all things align and Cartridge razors work great for them. If you are one of these, count your blessings.

I hope this clears some of these arguments up.

T_I, Keithmax, TobyC and 4 others like this.
  3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Well said.

:happy096:

Now can we end this painful thread and go back to our regularly scheduled shaves with our favorite and best razors?

Hey, we’re all family here.

Keithmax, clint64, TobyC and 2 others like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I have a little trouble with #4. I just can't see how EVERY cartridge razor, regardless of manufacturer, be it one blade or seven blade, can irritate certain guys' faces just because they're cartridges. Maybe it's true but I can't see how ALL of them, without exception, can have that effect. Am I willing to be wrong? Sure, all the time.

Keithmax likes this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Well, not all carts irritated me to the same degree. But, they all irritated my skin, and caused ingrown hairs. This stopped, immediately, when I first tried a DE razor. Electric razors were bad on me too.

gorgo2 likes this.
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Last time I checked, feet and inches originated in England.

8. Primotenore

Article Team
    LOVE that pronunciation. (Germans pronounce it the same way too.)

Keithmax and TobyC like this.
  9. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Inch. From the Latin, uncia meaning one twelfth.

Just about every ancient civilization used the foot as a unit of measure.

Keithmax, Frijolero and Primotenore like this.
  10. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

For me it's been about 4 1/2 years. Man how time flies by. I've used just about every type of razor out there and there are are some I like more than others but that changes as time and my general perception evolves. I enjoy the variety of different types of razors but I always enjoy a good shave regardless of what tool I am using. And no Bama, all razors are not the same. The principle of shaving is a constant but different tools require adjustments in technique. Having said that it's your shave do it your way, and enjoy it!

Jim99, Keithmax and clint64 like this.
  11. Primotenore

Article Team
    Thank you for that information. :happy088:

12. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I'm playing devil's advocate, I really don't give a rat's arse what people do or think, but those who think they know it all should be exposed for their presumptuousness.

Enrico and Jim99 like this.
  13. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

A tad arrogant my friend. Just sayin...

Enrico, Jim99, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  14. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

And I'm having a little fun with it. ;)

Frijolero and Jim99 like this.
  15. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

More than a tad, I'd say.

Enrico and Jim99 like this.
  16. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Interesting thread.

Here's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

I used mostly el cheapo Norelco electrics for 30 years. The shaves were quick and easy. And cheap.

I switched to DE razors in 2012 because I ran across some nuts on the Internet doing it. I promptly fell head first into the rabbit hole. I joined this band of Hooligans and Enablers in 2014, and I've had a ball.

Since then, I've come to enjoy different kinds of shaves using my DEs, SE, shavettes, a straight, and an electric. I just returned from a long trip where I used a Trac II. I get good to great shaves from everything I use. It's fun to try different setups and learn different techniques.

More than anything, I love to build a nice lather with a brush, and I like to finish with some WH and unrefined Shea butter. I didn't think I was a frag head, but I love using aftershaves and colognes. Lavender is my favorite scent.

Sometimes I even bloom my soaps, but don't tell anybody. :)

17. wristwatchb

And I've come to realize that a good shave is more important than world peace.

Carry on.

Frijolero, DaltonGang, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  18. wristwatchb

Oh...almost forgot. I look great after a nice shave. I know that must be incredibly pleasing to my friends and family.

So, I'm thinking that my shaving hobby is also an invaluable public service.

Yep, yep, that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

19. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Last week as part of Mayhem I tried a Fusion, I was curious to see if technique and using a brush and soap made a difference. I switched to 'traditional shaving' because as the number of blades in a cart increased I started to get irritation and ingrown hairs.

My experiment surprised me, I expected to get a very close shave and irritation, instead I did not get irritation but not as close a shave as a get with a traditional razor. Maybe I will try a Trac 2 or other 2 blade cart to see how it performs now.

In the end I will stick with 'traditional tools' because I enjoy them and they look cool. Straights are my favorite because the look the coolest and everything about the shave can be customized. Shaving is a hobby now.

20. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:signs011: I am starting to think world peas are over rated and it is easier to get great shave.