Muhle R41 Grande (2011 Version) - The most aggressive razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Classic_4Ever, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Classic_4Ever

Classic_4Ever Member

Hi,

I've just purchased Muhle R41 Grande (2011 Version), I heard that it's the most aggressive razor, which gives the closest shave besides, using Feather blades with it, but there is a more aggressive one which is the iKon Tech, but unfortunately it's very rare and I could't find one on Amazon or ebay.

My question is: is there a way to make the Muhle R41 Grande (2011 Model) more aggressive?

What's the most aggressive DE razor out there? Merkur Futur or Muhle R41 or iKon Tech or what?

I bought it for 74$ + Free shipping.

[​IMG]

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

1. Remove the razor's top cap for the duration of the shave.
    2. Shave blindfolded.

Both will lead to a overly-aggressive, event-filled shaving experience.

Sabre, Frijolero, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

You can make the R41 more aggressive by fitting a narrower top cap. Why you would want to do that is beyond me though.

4. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Try a slant.

https://www.ikonrazors.com/shop/ikon-razors/b1-slant/

But why, oh why, are you looking for the world's most aggressive razor? Bragging rights? Phlebotomy? Masochism? Seppuku?

I guess you didn't learn much from your previous thread. Getting a good shave is more about technique than simply blade gap.

5. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

If you really want something more aggressive than R41 you could create a Devette, and you have as much "aggressiveness" as you want. Basically you take a dirt cheap Tech clone, as RiMei (or a real Tech if you have no feelings for vintage equipments), and then grind off the safety bar.

My father in law always shaved with an Gillette Old Type that was missing the base plate, so nothing else than a top cap a blade and a handle. He preferred to shave like this and when I offered him a full razor he did not want it. I have myself been giving Devette a try a few times and they work but I prefer a full DE razor over Devette.

Frijolero and Primotenore like this.
  6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

If you have a 2011 R41, you have all the aggressive anyone could ever need, and a much better razor than the Tech.

One you hit smooth, there isn’t really anything to improve on. Maybe comfort. You can get all the aggressive you want with SE’s. Or switch to straights. You won’t get any smoother, but you’ll do it in comfort. And style.

Frijolero, Keithmax and Primotenore like this.
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I think you need to explain your reasoning behind this question.

Frijolero and PickledNorthern like this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I concur with these comments.
    I switched to straight razors years ago but I still use the 2011 R41 on occasion.
    The 2011 version is what I would classify or consider 'hyper-aggressive'—meaning that it borders on being quite HARSH on some beards and should be used with a reasonably-light touch.

For me, comfort & closeness are essential for a good quality shave, and I prefer NOT to sacrifice one for the other.
    The 2011 R41 rides very closely to the edge of being uncomfortable to use, but does provide VERY smooth and efficient results after only two passes.

9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

The Kon Tech and 2011 R41 are similar in aggressiveness but I found the Tech to be harsh. The 2011 R41 is my favorite DE and the most aggressive DE razor I tried. It was also my gateway drug to straights.

10. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

The 2011 R41 made me throw rocks at all other razors and closed the door for me on RAD.

The 2011 R41 has been my daily driver for years. I bought a backup copy to ensure that I will always have one to use.

This razor is not harsh, or aggressive; it is efficient. This razor delivers consistent, 2-pass DFS shaves every time.

My 2011 R41 is paired with a SABI T1 handle. The stock handle was too light and slippery for my liking.

11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :signs011:

Amen, brother. I use a Weber Bulldog.

While I like my 2011 R41, I can't say that I LOVE it. I love my Parat, Old Type, AS-D2 and some others. I use the Mühle to 1) keep my skills honed 2) Get a great shave when I have missed a day. 3) It keeps me honest, no screwing around with this beast.

Frijolero and Keithmax like this.
  12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I switch my badly for heavy, thick brass handle.

13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You heard wrong. The most aggressive purpose made DE razor is the Barbe Bleue Model X razor. The guardless head, combined with the long super heavy handle makes it a beast. I've shaved with it once, and got a close, irritation-free shave out of it.

Technique is the key factor. It's not a razor I would recommend to a wet shaving newbie, but anyone that has used a DE, SE, or injector razor for about a year would have no issues. For 99% of the long term wet shavers on this site, they could cut the guards off of thier razors and not notice a difference in the shave. If you are shaving properly, the guard doesn't touch the face.

Edit: blade choice will be more of a factor in how aggressive a razor feels than the razor itself, in my opinion. A feather blade loaded in a Gillette blue tip or the humble tech will give me a closer shave than a bluebird blade (or whatever blade is on your "crap" list) loaded in a gillette red tip or a Fatboy set on 9.

Most people who start off in this hobby who get bad shaves tend to blame the tools, whether it be blade, razor, soap or brush. In 99.9% of the cases, it's a lack of proper technique (or rarely, an allergic reaction to the metal in the razor or an ingredient in the cream or soaps).

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  14. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Interesting, but it's just a safety razor minus the safety feature, right?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I think I'd rather go with a straight, or a shavette.

Talking of shavettes, this one claims to be the "baddest razor of them all" and takes regular DE blades snapped in half...

[​IMG]

Primotenore and Keithmax like this.
  15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The Holy Black is one of those companies that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The logo stealing (blatent Wade & Butcher knockoff) I could handle, the other stuff, not so much.

Edit: for the sake of fairness, I will say that they, like the couple behind Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements, have cleaned up their act and appear to be running an honest business now.

I do like THB's sales pitch, even though their claims go over the top sometimes. Triumph & Disaster do a better job, but their stuff is at XPEC level of pricing, and thus unaffordable for the average person.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Primotenore, Keithmax and MR41 like this.
  17. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I'm currently using an R41 (2013) head with a Weber SS handle. With a light touch, it provides a nice, easy shave. It's been my daily driver the last few days.

SOTD_120416.jpg

18. Classic_4Ever

Classic_4Ever Member

Wo0ow! Can the R41 be a daily razor?

Primotenore, Keithmax and wristwatchb like this.
  19. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I'll use it for awhile and then put it away for a different razor. I think any razor can be a daily driver with proper technique. Technique trumps tools!

In my opinion, my Feather Artist Club shavette style razor (that I recently PIFd to a friend) was more aggressive than my R41. It was also a daily driver at times.

Keithmax likes this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Yes. People shave daily with Straights and Shavettes, too. It's all about technique. No such thing as too aggressive.