So, how long has it been, since you stopped using Cartridge Razors?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DaltonGang, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

It must have been a typo. We don’t do that here.

kfbrady, TobyC and Dansco like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

You're right. We don't do that here. I will think about my attitude and the words I use.

Frijolero, Dansco and DaltonGang like this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I apologize for not showing you kindness in my words.

Dansco and DaltonGang like this.
  4. T_I

T_I Active Member

Indeed, that's why I'm surprised that the Americans are celebrating every year that they kicked out the British, but refuse to get rid of the empirical system.

Sounds to me as a vegetarian who wears leather.

Frijolero, Jim99, Primotenore and 3 others like this.
  5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Give 'em an inch, and they'll take a mile. :)

Frijolero, Primotenore and Keithmax like this.
  6. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

You don't have to eat the animal to wear the skin. I don't eat cotton plants.

I like inches, and red meat, and Fahrenheit, and I sometimes say aluminium,... but what is the purpose of a "royal family"? Aren't they just rich people on welfare?

Enrico and Frijolero like this.
  7. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

It's common practice to take stuff from the loser! :D

Enrico and Frijolero like this.
  8. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong as I'm not a huge fan of the Royal Family - I think there are far too many hangers on - but they do contribute hugely to tourist income generation and to "Brand Britain".

About £500m of income is attributed to them directly, with almost £2bn contributed to the UK economy annually in total. Spin-offs include almost £200m brought in by royal warrant holders such as Aston Martin cars, Fortnum & Mason and even Kent brushes. There is also a lot of less tangible income.

And I bet a lot of the tourist income comes from Americans.

Keithmax, Frijolero and TobyC like this.
  9. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I’m sure a big portion of tourist money does come from Americans. I hope to go there one day so I can see the birthplace of my favorite show, Top Gear. To be clear, the original version not the one now, but I still watch it.

Keithmax, TobyC and Frijolero like this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Does this one count as plastic garbage? It shaves real nice!:D
    1941-1945 WWII plastic Tech.JPG

Frijolero, wristwatchb and gorgo2 like this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Wow ... now that's what I call "whizzing in the deep fryer" .... :eek:

Frijolero, Keithmax and TobyC like this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I shaved a few hours ago with the cheapest cart I've ever used. Chinese, got it at a no-name dollar store. Shaved fine.

13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I didn't give up on carts due to bad shaves, but due to ingrown hairs.

14. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

It's interesting that "some people" claim that all razors are the same, yet they like some razors and don't like others. They have more than one razor even though there is no difference between them. They belong to/run/own, forums where razors are discussed/compared/ranked, etc.
    If they truly believed that all razors were the same, like squares of toilet paper on a roll, this would not be a hobby that they were involved in. They would, in fact, be laughing at us, ridiculing us, they surely wouldn't be an active part of something they view as silly and just plain wrong.

Frijolero and Enrico like this.
  15. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

For me it was price and the ridiculous design, the shave was OK.

Frijolero and Enrico like this.
  16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

:eatdrink047:. Peace.

TobyC and Frijolero like this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I respect the validity of that issue. I've no doubt that I'd dislike carts very strongly if they had that effect on me no matter how many I tried.

TobyC, Enrico and Frijolero like this.
  18. T_I

T_I Active Member

No, but you don't kill a cotton plant by taking the cotton, you do kill the animal when using the skin. (so why not use the whole animal)
    The point is, vegetarians don't eat meat as that is 'murdering' an animal. (murder is a legal term for killing a human, but that's another story) When you don't want an animal to get killed, don't ask fot it's skin when someone else does kill the animal.

It's common practice to take the best stuff. I'd say, lousy pick. :p

TobyC likes this.
  19. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

For me its probably been 15 years. For a long time, I simply shaved with a pair of clippers whenever my beard got itchy. I did experiment with various carts and disposables for a couple months last year but its been over a decade since I would have called myself a cart user.

Keithmax, Frijolero and DaltonGang like this.
  20. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I gave up modern cartridge razors about ten years ago, but I use a Trac II razor from time to time. It is difficult in America to completely avoid cartridge razors, especially if you fly.

I wonder at the logic of a system that will ban a double edge razor blade, (which is a poor choice of weapon in a fight) but let you take a fountain pen (aka "makeshift dagger") on a plane. Add duct tape and a cane, and now you have a makeshift spear...not that I would encourage or condone someone doing something like that.