Gillette Adjustable Friday ; Toggles, Fat Boys, Slims, and Black Beauties welcome!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by RyX, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Stirling gentleman is to sweet for me to, last week i got pharaohs dreamsicle from stirling, not sure what i was thinking though, it smells great but im not sure i want to smell like an orange cream popsicle lol, i used it with aftershave and was worried i was going to get attacked by bees, like drinking an orange soda while camping as a kid and wondering why all the bees are following me. Going to have to trade that one away, i have stirling spice inbound this week, and im curious about electric sheep also. The problem is i want to try them all but only keep 5 soaps on hand at a time, one is always williams and one is fine american blend so it will have to wait a few months.

RyX likes this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

They sell good sized samples. So try a few and enjoy the variety. Once the bees and that soap move on you be ready to make an informed decision.

3. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

4. brit

brit in a box

watched a few of your videos on the tube ,very cool.my canadian schick type e has has the non parallel lines on the bar and a fixed spring as well.late e-2 ?nice razor.thanks again for the tips.will use the single ring and old types soon.

RyX likes this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I love my late model E2. Veddy good shavers. Looking forward to see your thoughts on the Old Gillettes!

brit and RyX like this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Veddy nice set up there. I really love the mug sitting off to the side in the there. Williams Photobomb eh!!!

RyX likes this.
  7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

After getting a sample from @PickledNorthern I can say to move Electric Sheep to the top of the list. Don't put it off!!

RyX likes this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

i will post them thank you.tried the witch hazel only for the touch ups on sunday. works well.

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Awesome!! Another convert....next the world!!!

RyX, brit and CarlfromMO like this.
  10. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I will probably pick it up next payday, got my stirling spice today and love it, also got the bath soap.

RyX likes this.
  11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

BULLY!!!

12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Adjustable Friday's Shave
    [​IMG]

Proraso Pre Shave
    CTAPT Shaving Cream
    Jayaruh #288
    Gillette 195 Fatboy
    Astra SP
    CWR
    Thayer's Peach WH
    English Leather

I started off with Proraso Pre Shave. The CTAPT Shaving Cream face-lathered well with the Jayaruh #288 Synthetic brush. I did two passes with the Gillette 195 Fatboy with an Astra SP blade and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayer's Peach WH and then English Leather AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have not played along in awhile. A great shave with a slim on 9 today!! VDH brush and soap with Family Dollar Brut.
    [​IMG]

brit, Jayaruh, Michael W and 2 others like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

posted a shave with my old type. took my time ,nice shave. way better results than my last go at it.thanks gary.

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Awesomelicious!!!

brit likes this.
  16. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

This is the razor I used for last Friday's shave...

[​IMG]

I've never been that keen on Gillette's 1970's black handled razors. I always thought of the handle as a way for them to cut costs, as they also did by lightening the cap and bottom plate over the years. With this SA 84 I also dislike the cheap and flimsy, blow molded "case". I never thought these razors lived up to the Gillette "tradition" but I saw this going for a very decent price a few weeks ago and decided to buy it to further flesh out my vintage Gillette collection.

After a cleaning, polish and 10 minutes in a Barbicide bath I used it for the first time and I was surprised at just how well it worked. It has perfect door alignment, a very positive click to the adjuster ring and a very well operating TTO knob. The black resin coated handle also felt really good and as with all these old razors, I got a perfect, smooth and easy shave from it with a new GSB blade. Have I changed my perceptions about black handled Gillettes? Well no, but I have to say that there is absolutely nothing wrong with this razor at all.

17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Nothing wrong with the shave from these. Like you said they arenot a favorite...but cartainly work.

brit and kfbrady like this.
  18. Michael W

Michael W Active Member

I posted this in my welcome post but thought you guys would get a kick outta it.

Fatboys hanging out in the pool. :)

58' and a 60'

[​IMG]

Jayaruh, brit, stuartganis and 3 others like this.
  19. Michael W

Michael W Active Member

Wednesday mail check, the 1971 Gillette arrived. headed to the barbicide bath and a cleaning but its actually cleaner than I expected. The pictures online made it look way worse.
    Happy, DOB Shave in my future
    Now I need a 1971 Black Beauty :)

1971 super slim.jpg

20. Michael W

Michael W Active Member

Thrsday mail check.
    72' Gillette Slim twist S-1
    72' Gillette Black handle flair S-3
    56' Gillette Blue Flare B-1
    18' Ming Shi Clone (not thinking I bought two of these and a QShave clone :( Well I guess I will be able to check the weight and measure them to see quality control lol... I need to get a Merkur Futur now :)

Also I will say about the clone, well this clone. It felt like one side was more aggressive than the other, so I re-positioned the spring rotating it which seemed to level the top better. I am going to dig through my spring supply and see if I can find a heavier match for it. Rotating the spring did seem to get the feel of each side closer but I still could tell a slight more on one side. Visually the top leveled out better after rotating the spring a quarter turn, basically got the spring where it ends re positioned till it looked equal with the top screwed down.
    I still didnt shave the beard though..... My arms are smooth from trying them out though, haha... Tattooed so it isn't noticeable lol

IMG_5844.JPG

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    brit, Jayaruh, RyX and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.