Muhle R41 Grande (2011 Version) - The most aggressive razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Classic_4Ever, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :signs011:

TobyC likes this.
  2. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I don't even like using the word "aggressive" when referring to a razor, makes it sound like the thing is gonna reach out and attack you!

I agree that any razor can be used daily without difficulty, unless it has zero or negative blade exposure, (too mild) which might make you go over your face too many times, or start pushing too hard.

Primotenore and Keithmax like this.
  3. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

The most aggressive razor I own is the Gillette Tech... in the configuration on the right...

[​IMG]

It's also my least aggressive razor (very mild - on the left)

Frijolero, Enrico, Herm2502 and 4 others like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Well, there is that Wolfman razor.

[​IMG]

TobyC and wristwatchb like this.
  5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:signs011: I also struggle with ‘mild’ razors but no problem with a straight razor or th 2011 R41.

Frijolero, Ron R, TobyC and 1 other person like this.
  6. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

My most efficient razor is my Vision - I can use it everyday if I dial it down, but wide open it demands much respect and proper technique.

Frijolero and Keithmax like this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've worked years in construction; and I think of razor in the same way as many tools. Like a screwdriver or a hammer there are fancy ones, junk ones, and everything between; but in the end so long as they preform intended use, they're very much the same. In skilled and experienced hands even the most basic one can preform like champ. I use to think Techs were inferior, but now they're almost what I use exclusively.

Frijolero, Primotenore and Keithmax like this.
  8. Primotenore

Article Team
    I am thinking about a 30 day focus with my 2011 R41...:signs002:

9. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

What kind of safety razor is that?

10. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

I had never heard of it; PLANofMAN mentioned that it's a Barbe Bleue (French for Bluebeard). I don't think it's currently available though.

11. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Buy a nice razor and forget about how a razor ranks on some meaningless scale of aggressiveness. Or get a straight.

This relentless aggressive stuff isn't very meaningful, and looking for the most extreme jagged edge monstrosity won't make you a better man.

Enrico likes this.
  12. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Well said. [RAISES GLASS]

Yup.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Correct. The company is based out of New York, and had to stop selling them due to fears of a lawsuit, as far as I understand. I believe that Barbe Bleue is exploring other avenues in the shaving world now, including bringing out shave creams based on very old American aftershaves.

Keithmax and Frijolero like this.
  14. Grick

Grick Active Member

I alternate between the R412013 and the Futur at 6 both loaded with a Feather. No nicks. I don't find them harsh,but thorough

Keithmax likes this.
  15. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I chased aggression for a long time. I've shaved with damn near everything aside from the infamous hunk o'obsidian knapped to razor sharp. I have a 2011 R41, it is a great shave. I have a Gillette Tech, it is a great shave. Magic shavette, you guessed it, great shave. All of it is my fault though, I learned how to get great shaves out of each of them. I'm far more into the shave and the result than I am about any claim of aggression conquering anymore. Climbing Mount Aggression was fun though and I don't fault anyone for chasing whatever aspect of shaving they choose. I use a 5 blade super expensive ridiculo-gizmo from time to time :ashamed001:. I'm currently into shavette shaving.....I may have found a niche I can stay in for a while.

It's your shave, enjoy it your way!
    -Steve (@swarden43)

16. deniro444

deniro444 Member

Any idea where I can get a 2011 R41? It might be just me but they seem hard to come by.

17. Primotenore

Article Team
    They are very hard to come by you have to diligently search the buy sell trade threads.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  18. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Hey @Classic_4Ever .
    I think you got swindled. Contrary to popular belief, the 2011 R41 isn't the most aggressive DE razor. This one is.
    It's the one Neal @NCoxSTL used last month in the 30DC thread.
    $0.20 for a Feather blade. You probably have some bolts and nuts around the house already.
    [​IMG]

19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I kinda this one rates up in that list too.
    [​IMG]

How about a Schick G1 with no safety bar?

My point is that no matter what tool you use it will not perform if you do not have proper technique.

20. Parallax

Parallax Member

I agree in part, PM, but not entirely. I'm a guy who can shave with any safety razor and get a good result. Was taught technique by my Futur, which I used on a setting of 6 in my shower with just hot water for many years. These days I shave with an Ikon Tech, a 2011 R41 or anything else I want to shave with without ever getting a cut, a weeper or irritation.

Recently tried a devette someone sent me (he had ground the guard off an Old Typle) and cut myself. As soon as I began with it, I could see that it required different technique. Pretty much exactly the technique one would use with a shavette or a straight. I'd used them a bit some years back and had a good experience but it was very much a different technique. One has to go slowly, methodically and stretch the skin. That's what would have been required to use the devette without cutting myself.

Might be different if I were 25 with perfectly tight skin. But at 55, the razor has a tendency to grab a pile of skin and if the skin snaps back, the blade gets you. (And I'm by no means an old 55; I generally get pegged as significantly younger.) So I agree with your comment that it's all a matter of technique. I mean none of this is rocket science. I disagree in the sense that the technique is not identical to using a safety razor. I can use any safety razor well and get a close, five-minute shave in the shower. The blade guard does the skin stretching well enough that one can just focus on maintaining the right angle and light pressure.

Keithmax likes this.