DE Razor Aggressiveness Rankings for Currently-Manufactured Double Edge (Safety) Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Classic_4Ever, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Classic_4Ever

Classic_4Ever Member

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Interesting data. I have two of the ranked razors. Fatip with a Piccolo handle gives me great beard reduction. It did take some serious techniques training to achieve a no error shave. At the other end of their scale a Muhle R89 on the Grande handle. Mild as a Schick Krona DE to the point I don't use it. Very tight effective zone making for frustrating shaves needing more passes. I've found I lean toward preferring aggressive DEs.

My short list of favorites; Gillette Fat Boy on #9 and the Red Tip, a Futur clone (Ming Shi) at 4-1/2. Do you have a favorite aggressive razor @Classic_4Ever?

Classic_4Ever likes this.
  3. Classic_4Ever

Classic_4Ever Member

thanx ryx, have you tried the Muhle R41? how is it?

RyX likes this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

I have not. Most of my DE are vintage. I am tempted since it tops the chart. Taming an aggressive razor is a fun challenge. More efficient beard reduction with less passes? What's not to love!

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

Classic_4Ever likes this.
  5. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Mühle R41 was the first DE I purchased. I did not shave with anything else for 6 months. It is an "unsafety" razor. Once my kids came in to the bathroom while I was shaving and began talking with me. As I answered back, my Adam's apple moved up and the skin got sliced, another time I was in hurry and I did not pull in my lips enough while shaving the mustache and a chunk of skin disappeared. Once I learned my lessons, I got good shaves from R41.

Since then I have fallen in love with ultra mild razors. While I am still able to shave blindly with R41, I enjoy far more my iKon X3. Even mild razors do give a close shave.

wristwatchb, Classic_4Ever and RyX like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

@Classic_4Ever - welcome to TSD.

There's no such thing as too aggressive. People use straight razors every day....

Pick any razor you think looks cool, we'll show you how!

Ultra mild razors are best left to experienced hands. :)

7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    That would be me. :p

Enrico, Bama Samurai and RyX like this.
  8. Classic_4Ever

Classic_4Ever Member

No ryx, I've been shaving with a shavette at the barbershop for DECADES ... I've just bought the 2013 Muhle R41 and soon I'll buy Feather AS-D2, so I'll try them at home and see whether they will shave as close as a cheap shavette loaded with Feather blade.

jeraldgordon, Bama Samurai and RyX like this.
  9. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

A close shave is all about technique regardless of what tool you use. I have been shaving with both shavette and "devette" and probably something close to 30 different DE razors, including R41. In my experience, as soon as you have the skill to keep a good angle, you get a close shave regardless of if the tool got a safety bar, a comb or nothing at all to protect.

TobyC, Primotenore and RyX like this.
  10. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Yep. Get a ten dollar all brass Gillette OLD type or New and never give razors another thought. Spend your money on brushes and soaps. :happy088:

Ijustmissedthe50s and RyX like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I'm a daily shavette user, and FWIW, Fatip might be worth a look, given your skill level.

TobyC and RyX like this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

Respect! Glad you brought you experience to TSD. I've considered having an old fashioned shave at the hands of a "Real Barber". There aren't many still practicing. I'm not sure a younger barber would have the knowledge and skill to shave me better than I do myself.

Keithmax and Frijolero like this.
  13. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Excellent razor, and it's all brass! :happy096: One of my favorites.

Frijolero and RyX like this.
  14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    My credo. (and sometimes razors...:scared003:)

Frijolero and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  15. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

As long as it's something cool. :D :happy088:

Frijolero likes this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

+1 Very efficient DE. I dislike the odd thread pattern that keeps me from trying other handles. Got mine 2nd hand with the Piccolo handle. Curious how the Grande handle affects the shave.

Frijolero and TobyC like this.
  17. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I think the piccolo handle is perfect, the fact that nothing about it catches your attention while shaving is proof that nothing is wrong with it. And it is solid brass, which weighs more than stainless steel, and weighs a little more than the hollow Grande handle too.

Bama Samurai, Frijolero and RyX like this.