Zote soap

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Brickman301, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

I have been using Zote bar laundry soap, in the shower for over a year now. Zote soap is a laundry soap made in Mexico. It’s a huge bar at 14.1 oz’s. It is made with a 66% tallow. It’s been fine in the shower, and works great. In Mexico, they use it for all kinds of cleaning.
    So this morning I opened up a new bar and thought to myself,maybe it could be used as a shaving soap? I grabbed a boar brush, to see how it would lather. Sure enough it lathered great. I was a little reluctant at first, but it hasn’t bothered my skin, using it in the shower, so I gave it a go.
    Actually I’m impressed, doesn’t work as good as Arko, but works as good or better than WILLIAMS or the Van Der soaps. No irritation at all. I’m actually going to use it again later this week, when I shave.
    So am I the only one, that has thought to do this?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    brit, urrlord, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  2. Brickman301

Oh I forgot pictures. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brit, Enrico, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  3. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I use the Zote bars to make homemade laundry soap (washing soda, borax, essential oils). It is cheap and works well to clean clothes.

Give you props for experimenting using it for a shave soap. Would think it could burn the skin.

4. Brickman301

Thanks, I was a little concerned about irritation, but figured it hasn’t happened while using it in the shower, so I went with it. Happy to say it didn’t bother me at all.

Frijolero likes this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Makes good catfish bait. I have used it to shave. I disagree with it being better then Williams or VDH. It will work though.

brit and Frijolero like this.
  6. Brickman301

I’ve heard of it being used for catfish bait as well, and I’m going to try it out sometime this summer.
    I was going from memory when I said it was as good as those other soaps. I don’t have any WILLIAM’s but I do have some VDH. I’ll do a comparison of the two later this week.

brit likes this.
  7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Give it a try. I have caught blue cats on it.

brit and urrlord like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Well, you've set a low bar for yourself. I have rarely shaved with bar soap (mostly to see what it was like), but my grandpa did when he came back from the war, as food was more important than shaving soap. He used the remnents of soap bars and mashed them into a coffee mug for his shave.

brit, Frijolero and Keithmax like this.
  9. Brickman301

I’m not saying this is going to be something I use on a regular basis. It was just something fun to experiment with. Just an idea I had, and wanted to try. I’ve tried a lot of soaps and creams over the years, I prefer shaving soaps. I’m a big Arko fan, and I don’t think that’s ever going to change.

10. Artlogon

Artlogon Well-Known Member

Ha, nice experinent.

Good to know that if in a pinch, it will work.

Enviado desde mi moto g(6) plus mediante Tapatalk

11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Interesting idea. How does it smell?

12. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

Ok I’m reviving this older post

After reading this I had to try it out

To answer last question.....It smell like willams through the wrapper, with sharp soapy overtones

The main ingredients are: beef tallow and coconut oil, which are neutralized with caustic soda for the saponification process. It contains salt (sodium chloride), glycerin, perfume, optical brightener —- according to https://formerlynmurbanhomesteader.weebly.com/uploads/2/2/5/0/22509786/wheres_the_lye_new_site.pdf
    The label only list 5 ingredients.
    66% fatty
    The ingredients list sound like old school soap from simpler times.

It’s a whopping $1.08 for a GIANT 14.1 ounce bar. The average regular sized bar weighs in at about 4ounces. I found it a bit comical it was so big, a bar of soap for giants. At 7.7 cents an ounce, this will be the least expensive soap Tom my record. It Also available at local Wally World.

I went with the white version, I suppose you could convince wife that the pink one is for her. But let me get a test lather or 2 in before you tel her it’s ok to use.