TV Special Save

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Juno, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

I got this on Etsy for 12.00 in the hopes I could save it. il_570xN.1239201558_m990.jpg il_570xN.1286436335_49eg.jpg il_570xN.1239202588_kn4p.jpg 20180610_142149-1.jpg 20180610_142210_HDR-1.jpg 20180610_142143-1.jpg 20180610_142224-1.jpg

Jorvaljr, AGHisBBS, Keithmax and 11 others like this.
  2. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

Scrubbing bubbles, soapy water, Flitz, Novus polish, a hundred Q-Tips, and lots of patience and elbow grease.

3. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

The handle still needs some work, but my fingers are cramping.

Jayaruh and PatrickA51 like this.
  4. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

Nice work! Wow that thing was nasty, lol.

Jayaruh likes this.
  5. spot705

spot705 Active Member

Excellent job!
    What did you use to clean the case without scratching or fogging it?

Jayaruh likes this.
  6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

You did a nice job with it!

Jayaruh likes this.
  7. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

I soaked it with warm water and a little dish soap. Then I used Novus level 1 polish on it with shop towels. All that grime came off with the water and soap and a soft toothbrush.

Jrdelgado and Jayaruh like this.
  8. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

I also got a grubby late 40 s superspeed case from the same place with what turned out to be a contract tech in it. The handle looks nickel and the baseplates and cap are reddish brass. It looks like someone removed the black paint from those but there are still traces of it. I had no idea what was in it. I just bought it for the case so I was happy with what I found in there!

Jorvaljr, Frijolero and Jayaruh like this.
  9. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Nice. A little scrubbing with Flitz and an old toothbrush will clean up the handle.

I like my TV Special. It's a shame that 1958 was the year that the Flare Tip lost the knob retainer screw in favor of the crimp, but that's a minor complaint and mine gives me a nice smooth shave. I prefer the higher domed, 50's style head, I like the plain knurling on the handle and I even like how compact the case is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jorvaljr, AGHisBBS, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  10. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

Thank you for the advice!

11. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

Looks great!

12. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

Very nice! I prefer the older style head as well. As far as the retainer screw....mine has a slightly wiggly/loose tto knob that needs to be addressed so yeah....I miss the screw! I think the case on these is pretty neat as well. It looks nearly impossible to disassemble without breaking it for sure. I didn't even attempt it, though I have gotten pretty good taking apart the blue, red, and beige ones. The late 40 s superspeed cases are really the easiest. Having gotten this one, I think my superspeed collection is done for awhile. I just need a red tip case.

13. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

If the Contract Tech handle has the grooves, then the whole razor was probably gold originally. I think the handle is actually a base metal, rather than Brass, and was Nickel plated before the gold wash was added. This would have been a '46.

14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Great job! That TV Special looks nice enough to be your avatar. :happy088:

brit likes this.
  15. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

Very interesting. I guess that clears up the nickel. I was wondering because I had never seen any in nickel. Thank you for the info. I will try to post a pic of it later.

16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Impressive.

17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

TV Special is a nice, nice shaver.

18. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

Here are 2 pics of the contract tech.
    20180610_213837-1.jpg 20180610_213820-1.jpg

Enrico, Frijolero and brit like this.
  19. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Yup, I'm pretty sure that's a '46 and was originally gold. Basically, the gold wash was applied directly to the brass parts but the base metal handle needed a nickel plating for the gold the bond to. (Not that the gold wash lasted all that well, anyway.)

I actually like that handle in Nickel.

Juno likes this.
  20. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Great job!