New Olivina line at Meijer

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Frijolero, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I passed through the shaving aisle this morning at Meijer and spotted these. Olivina has had a cream out for a while now. Reviews on that sound pretty unimpressive. Now they have a hard soap, bowl, brush, and razor. I may grab the soap just to try it. The rest I don't really need myself. But it is encouraging to see it on a store shelf.

Soap, $9.99.
    IMG_20180613_062943_1.jpg IMG_20180613_063042.jpg

Decent looking pure badger brush, $29.99.
    IMG_20180613_062936.jpg

Yer basic DE89 clone, nice handle, $21.99.
    IMG_20180613_062956_1.jpg

Concrete bowl. It's...a concrete bowl. $24.99. (Soap not included)
    IMG_20180613_062941.jpg IMG_20180613_063147.jpg

jeraldgordon likes this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Interesting. I am not a big fan of that ingredient list. I will wait for you to test the waters for us. :cool:

3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

It’s already been tried by @John Beeman . I give him credit for taking one for the team, and saving us all money;)

4. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

After reading the ingredients list all I can say is: Don't buy, it will not work! I am a soap maker myself, so I know what I talk about.

EDIT: I decided to add a bit more explanation. In every good shaving soap, sodium stearate or potassium stearate or a combination of those two form one of the main ingredients. This can be made by letting stearic acid react with either sodium lye (NaOH) of potassium lye (KOH), or by letting a fat containing plenty of stearic acid (like tallow) react with lye (again NaOH or KOH). In making this soap neither stearic acid nor any fat containing a high percentage of stearic acid was used.

Sodium stearate is harder than potassium stearate, so shaving creams use mainly potassium stearate while soaps use more (and sometimes only) sodium stearate. Both have the same effect on the lather: it becomes denser. It is exactly this property that is the reason you do not use a normal hand soap for shaving.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    richgem and gorgo2 like this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I miss Meijer since moving out of Ohio, but not for this reason. It's the only store that I've ever seen regularly carry canned nectarines in their own juice.

6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Preferable to this shave soap I would say. ;)

gorgo2 likes this.
  7. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I'm not either. You may be waiting for a while.

Still, I have seen things work that shouldn't on paper. So someday. Maybe.